Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
apav

SB AE-9 vs X7? And PCI-E vs USB in general?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys,

I will be looking to upgrade my Sound Blaster ZXR soon. I was considering the Sound Blaster AE-9, but after l learning that the 3080 and 3090 (which I am considering upgrading to as well) are 2.75 and 3 slot cards respectively, I'm not sure if a PCI-E sound card is still an option for me unless I get creative with a vertical extension cable. So I was looking at the X7 as an alternative, but I am wondering if there is any noticeable difference between them, or between PCI-E and USB sound cards as a whole? I think I read somewhere that USB compresses the audio more, though I don't know if that could ever make a real world difference.

Thanks!

You can get better value from usb options new stuff comes around more often and has a ton more competition so things sound as good if not better for cheaper.. The ae9 is currently the best sounding sound card it's not actually bad and is a decent piece of gear. The x7 is pretty awful though doesn't sound that great, gimmick riddled and none of it good. You can build a external stack that does everyrhing it does for cheaper. Usb  is a fine way to transfer music. You just need a decent dac to decode the files and a good uncompressed format like FLAC or dsd and you should be fine

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! dark rock pro 4Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

2 hours ago, apav said:

Hi guys,

I will be looking to upgrade my Sound Blaster ZXR soon. I was considering the Sound Blaster AE-9, but after l learning that the 3080 and 3090 (which I am considering upgrading to as well) are 2.75 and 3 slot cards respectively, I'm not sure if a PCI-E sound card is still an option for me unless I get creative with a vertical extension cable. So I was looking at the X7 as an alternative, but I am wondering if there is any noticeable difference between them, or between PCI-E and USB sound cards as a whole? I think I read somewhere that USB compresses the audio more, though I don't know if that could ever make a real world difference.

Thanks!

The X7 great. Especially for gaming. But I think you should stick to your ZXR

I have the Sound Blaster AE-9 and it is amazing. Maybe not worth upgrading from an already pretty good soundcard.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/Straight cable and Dekoni Elite Velour Pads 

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

USB doesnt compress audio. audio is some of the smallest file sizes you can get even high fidelity audio files are still less then 100mb for song. USB 2 can hand 480MBs. USB can transfer a whole three minuet song in seconds.

Sound card wise probably not worth upgrading as there is close to no difference between any of those soundcards including your current one when referring to sound quality. As long as it fits

Here to educated the audio board on their bad choices.