M.2 slot type

George Vella

Recently I opened up my laptop, and noticed it has an unused M.2 connector. I tried researching but couldn't find real answers so I'll ask here. What type of SSD fits in this slot (sata or NVME)? Thanks

Screenshot_20200918-104912_Photos.png

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

Hello,

That looks like an M socket but only your manual can tell you if it's an M socket and if it accepts SATA and/or NVMe.

Looks like NVMe to me. SATA M.2 drives have 2 splits in the edge connector

81BBzA7znqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

While NVMe only have one

61q8oqAg2pL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Remember that SATA M.2 drives will work in an NVMe slot but NVMe drives won't work in a SATA slot. The fact your slot only has one notch indicates its an NVMe slot.

If you're worried just get a SATA drive since it will work either way.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Meganter said:

Hello,

That looks like an M socket but only your manual can tell you if it's an M socket and if it accepts SATA and/or NVMe.

Unfortunately, neither on the manual, nor on the website is there any mention of an M.2 SSD slot. I  noticed it because I opened up my laptop to upgrade the RAM.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Looks like NVMe to me. SATA M.2 drives have 2 splits in the edge connector

81BBzA7znqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

While NVMe only have one

61q8oqAg2pL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Thanks! I really appreciate

1 minute ago, George Vella said:

Unfortunately, neither on the manual, nor on the website is there any mention of an M.2 SSD slot. I  noticed it because I opened up my laptop to upgrade the RAM.

Thanks! I really appreciate

Its worth noting, just because the slot exists does not mean its actually connected to anything electrically. I know it sounds odd but when mass producing its sometimes cheaper to leave an unused component present than it is to remove it.

Its pretty unlikely but if possible, try and test the slot before buying anything.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Its pretty unlikely but if possible, try and test the slot before buying anything.

Thanks! Didn't come across my mind earlier!

Actually, this is not an M-key M.2 slot. It looks more like a B key and those are mostly for wireless cards.

Clearly, the connector is on the edge of the PCB, as you can see the actual edge in the image. This means any card needs inserting from the top of the image and the M-key notch is not in the right place. So at best this is a B-key slot for SATA M.2 SSD's, but more likely just for wireless cards, depending how much room there is for the screw. We can't see that, it's not on the image. If the distance from the socket to the screw hole is 30 or 42mm, it'll be wireless, 80mm or more would indicate a SATA drive could be inserted.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)