Windows 10 version 1803 and up game lag?

Toon

I'll sum this up to keep it short and simple:

I play an Asian-based game on Windows 10 (Absolute latest version). I and many others have been reporting frequent game hangings on Windows versions 1803 and above (1709 and below have no issues, this also includes Windows 7 having no issues). The issue doesn't seem to fall back to the CPU, or GPU, but rather the IO.

All drivers are as up to date as they can be. I've tried paging (Which did nothing to help), disabling Windows Defender (Which did significantly help, but the game still frequently stutters/hangs for about a second or 2 every minute).

Changing locales didn't help either, nor has it seemed to help others. The game works on the default US locale as it is anyways as the game does have fallback support to support for the English language and code-page. 

During times where the game hangs the computer is still responsive, but the actual game freezes. Merely looking at Task Manager on the "Performance" section for my SSD shows it spiking and then normalizing after it stops hanging.

Basically: I tried the most typical solutions that Google has to offer for resolving the issue (Disabling Windows Defender, paging file, doing some commands in command prompt that does lord knows what, locale changing, etc.)

Would anyone have an idea as to why this may be happening?

Maybe the game itself isn't properly updated leading to these issues. You could try using a Windows 10 Debloater to disable telemetry, cortana, onedrive and perhaps see if this fixes your issue. I've been using this debloater from Github and it works well. You just need to run it using powershell. I can't guarantee that this will fix your issue but it's worth trying.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

image.png.8f5ea03491743802df100e9827e09f1c.png

32 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Maybe the game itself isn't properly updated leading to these issues. You could try using a Windows 10 Debloater to disable telemetry, cortana, onedrive and perhaps see if this fixes your issue. I've been using this debloater from Github and it works well. You just need to run it using powershell. I can't guarantee that this will fix your issue but it's worth trying.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

image.png.8f5ea03491743802df100e9827e09f1c.png

Sadly, it did not help. At least not game-wise. Really helped with boot times and just overall performance/quality of life though!

Might sound dumb but try 1809, i had issues before that, but 1809 fixed most of them and is definitely the best version of windows yet for games. Don't install anything above, 1904 etc are very terrible, framedrops galore...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Might sound dumb but try 1809, i had issues before that, but 1809 fixed most of them and is definitely the best version of windows yet for games. Don't install anything above, 1904 etc are very terrible, framedrops galore...

Apologies for  the delayed response. Anything above 1803 (This includes 1809) has issues. 1709 and below (Including Windows 7) work just fine. The problem behind it is not everyone can downgrade to 1709 (I can, but others can't as maybe it's not their computer, but their parents as an example).

That's why I am trying to find a solution that'd work for everyone hopefully.