3d printing a backplate

StrawberryShortCakes

Question : is it safe to use an aluminum 3d printed gpu backplate?

The 2nd hand rtx 2080 super my classmate bought the owner lost the backplate so we thought we could replace it with one we measured and printed. 

PS : he got it for $350 (usd$210)

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

5 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

is it safe to use an aluminum 3d printed gpu backplate?

with proper spacing between it and the back of the PCB's SMD, i dont see why not

you could also add some thermal pad under spots with VRAM too if you'd like

laser etch a dick butt onto it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Question : is it safe to use an aluminum 3d printed gpu backplate?

The 2nd hand rtx 2080 super my classmate bought the owner lost the backplate so we thought we could replace it with one we measured and printed. 

PS : he got it for $350 (usd$210)

Just gotta make sure it fits the right way, as to not short out anything. So you'll want to take very precise measurements, but do contact the shop you're buying from to know their error margins (if they have any).

I doubt by the way they'll 3D print the backplate; more likely it will be lasercut out of a larger sheet

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

^nr. 1 way to improve the looks of your videocard right here^

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

with proper spacing between it and the back of the PCB's SMD, i dont see why not

you could also add some thermal pad under spots with VRAM too if you'd like

Thanks, and no my classmate is a girl. I was thinking etching her favourite overwatch characters (diva) 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

You'd have to be very careful as everyone else has said. But just an FYI V1 tech makes custom backplate too.

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Thanks, and no my classmate is a girl.

if anything, i think girls like <removed content> more than boys

edited by:

sense of moral

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Just gotta make sure it fits the right way, as to not short out anything. So you'll want to take very precise measurements, but do contact the shop you're buying from to know their error margins (if they have any).

I doubt by the way they'll 3D print the backplate; more likely it will be lasercut out of a larger sheet

^nr. 1 way to improve the looks of your videocard right here^

We're doing it ourselves in the school com lab. 

2 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Etch diva, but with a dickbutt...

Ewww no 

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

You'd have to be very careful as everyone else has said. But just an FYI V1 tech makes custom backplate too.

Will do

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

if anything, i think girl likes <removed content> more than boys

edited by:

sense of moral

lol,