Bad performance on new nvidia drivers?

mr.happy

I updated my gtx 1080 driver from driver 399.24 to 452.06 and the performance lost is huge when playing games like Fortnite.  The gpu can't even stay at at 60 fps, any idea why? At this point I'm going to go back to driver 399.24

The newest stunt they're pulling to get people to upgrade to Ampere!

seriously though, probably just a botched installation. Use DDU to uninstall everything and then reinstall.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

The newest stunt they're pulling to get people to upgrade to Ampere!

seriously though, probably just a botched installation. Use DDU to uninstall everything and then reinstall.

When I upgraded the driver fortnite recommends medium setting on the new drivers and even then it is not a stable 60 fps. In the old drivers it recommended epic settings and the fps was a stable 60 fps. Thanks will try that!

Just now, mr.happy said:

I updated my gtx 1080 driver from driver 399.24 to 452.06 and the performance lost is huge when playing games like Fortnite.  The gpu can't even stay at at 60 fps, any idea why? At this point I'm going to go back to driver 399.24

In 436.02 Nvidia tweaked the drivers to improve performance significantly for: Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z.

The problem with it is that it reduced performance significantly for most games.

So here i am on 431.60 enjoying better performance than the current drivers.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, mr.happy said:

When I upgraded the driver fortnite recommends medium setting on the new drivers and even then it is not a stable 60 fps. In the old drivers it recommended epic settings and the fps was a stable 60 fps. Thanks will try that!

Fortnite has terrible auto system shit. Do max 3d res, max view distance no shadows, no motion blur, everything else at low. Also, fortnite always has bad performance at a new season start. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler