Help with awkwardly slow HP Notebook 15-da1000ni laptop

Hey guys, so my HP Notebook 15 runs very slowly. I can't even run firefox and browse the web without waiting 20 mins for it to work (Keep in mind this is on best performance settings)! What are some things that I can do to make it actually usable and faster than it is now? Should I upgrade the specs or not? Any advice would be helpful!

Current specs of laptop:

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

4 GB RAM

i5 8265U

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Kind Regards

Prime Minister

pp.JPG

11 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

Hey guys, so my HP Notebook 15 runs very slowly. I can't even run firefox and browse the web without waiting 20 mins for it to work (Keep in mind this is on best performance settings)! What are some things that I can do to make it actually usable and faster than it is now? Should I upgrade the specs or not? Any advice would be helpful!

Current specs of laptop:

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

4 GB RAM

i5 8265U

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Kind Regards

Prime Minister

pp.JPG

* Add an SSD drive for the Operating System

* Remove the DVD and add your existing HD to a caddy to use for installing programs ( keep your SSD strictly for the OS)

* Add 4gb of Ram for a total of 8gb

* if you are feeling adventurous and your laptop has a socket for the CPU on the motherboard upgrade to i7

Preferably reinstall windows from scratch. Kill unnecessary services, don't autorun a bunch or programs when starting windows

Yeah, the biggest thing you can do to increase the speed is upgrade to an ssd, boot times shoud drop to under a min. If all you're using it for is web browsing you may not even need extra ram (but the extra 4gb suggested above is probably a good idea)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

37 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Yeah, the biggest thing you can do to increase the speed is upgrade to an ssd, boot times shoud drop to under a min. If all you're using it for is web browsing you may not even need extra ram (but the extra 4gb suggested above is probably a good idea)

Well, I plan to use it as a workstation from next year for my studies (going to do Web development) so that's why I was worried about it. But thx for the advice!