PC Lockups with no apparent pattern

MajorFoley

I'm literally at the end of my rope guys. Happens when im streaming, sometimes when im not streaming, sometimes when i just boot up a game. I've tried completely uninstalling GPU drivers with DDU and installing only fresh ones downloaded and still my PC, Updated my BIOS to latest just seems to like to lock up at random times. Sometimes sound keeps playing in the background and other times it it's a 100% freeze with nothing happening forcing me to press the reset button either way. I'm literally at my wits end here, short of doing a fresh install which i don't want to do for a few more months when the new GPUS are likely to come out. Please anyone help i dont think even the crash is reported in event viewer or anything liike that.

Specs are

MB: Asus Prime Pro x470 AM4

CPU: Ryzen 3700x

GPU: GTX 1070 Gigabyte windforce

RAM G.skill trident Z neo 3600 CL16 2x16GB kit

PSU:Corsair RM550X Gold

SSD: 500GB NVME Samsung 970 evo

HDD: 1x 2TB WD BLACK and 1x 4TB WD BLACK

CPU Fan: Noctua U12S

Case: Bequiet purebase 600

did you buy the system as a prebuild? if so check if it's under warrenty and have them fix it.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

trying underclocking, and lowering gpu voltage, speaking of, gpu model?

How did i forget that basic thing lol . GTX 1070 Gigabyte windforce i believe the 2 fan model

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

did you buy the system as a prebuild? if so check if it's under warrenty and have them fix it.

Nope built it myself, the only 2nd hand part was the GPU which my friend had for a year but that was 2 years ago now so warrantys gone. He never overclocked or undervolted or anything like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Crashed again, i have a Hwinfo sensor log but no idea what it could tell me...

I've uploaded it here. Please anyone who might have the faintest idea tell me what you think.

Logging.CSV

Do have XMP enabled?

If so, you are running the RAM a little faster than officially supported, try turning it off.

It the problem still persists, I suggest we start digging through the Event viewer to see if there is any log files for what is going wrong.

So take note of the date and time of the crashes, that will make this a bit easier.

54 minutes ago, The89Lunder said:

Do have XMP enabled?

If so, you are running the RAM a little faster than officially supported, try turning it off.

It the problem still persists, I suggest we start digging through the Event viewer to see if there is any log files for what is going wrong.

So take note of the date and time of the crashes, that will make this a bit easier.

I have DOCP enabled yes and this also happened with the previous sticks, Last set was a flare x CL14 @ 3200, this one is Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16

I have checked event viewer but cant see crap. It did happen today so what exactly would i be looking for, all the warnings or red alerts dont say anything to do with PC locking up, just "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

How would i get these logs on here?

The event viewer is a bit bloated, but at the time of crash, we are looking for events from your graphics card, to see if it is a driver crash.

If you look in the Windows log > System

And then a the time of crash (+/- 1-2 minutes), look for events from the source Display or nvlddmkm.

The event viewer is full of warnings and errors, and most of them are just red herring. 

54 minutes ago, The89Lunder said:

The event viewer is a bit bloated, but at the time of crash, we are looking for events from your graphics card, to see if it is a driver crash.

If you look in the Windows log > System

And then a the time of crash (+/- 1-2 minutes), look for events from the source Display or nvlddmkm.

The event viewer is full of warnings and errors, and most of them are just red herring. 

Nothing with nvlddmkm at least going back to 29th of January and all is says driver management has concluded the process to add service nvlddmkm. Might have been when i reinstalled drivers.

When looking for display apparently on the 3rd of this month this description is there

"The description for Event ID 7024 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Windows Search
%%2147749126

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present"

Cant find anything recent with those terms when the crash occurred.

Isn't nvlddmkm when the Display driver tries to reset itself?

24 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Nothing with nvlddmkm at least going back to 29th of January and all is says driver management has concluded the process to add service nvlddmkm. Might have been when i reinstalled drivers.

When looking for display apparently on the 3rd of this month this description is there

"The description for Event ID 7024 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Windows Search
%%2147749126

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present"

Cant find anything recent with those terms when the crash occurred.

Isn't nvlddmkm when the Display driver tries to reset itself?

Seems whatever service stops is unrelated to this problem.

nvlddkmk is the nVidia driver, so if that was crashing or glitching we would be able to focus our efforts that way.

Seems whatever is causing your system to crash is hiding 😡

Before reading further, do you remember running an update or changing anything shortly before the crashes started to occur?

Does it only crash when you have a game open?

If so, it could be one of your overlays for streaming/recording that is causing a problem (nVidia ShadowPlay, Steam and what have we). Try to disable them, and see if that does anything.

Next step would be to try and disable the items that start with your computer to see if any of them is causing a problem.

50 minutes ago, The89Lunder said:

Seems whatever service stops is unrelated to this problem.

nvlddkmk is the nVidia driver, so if that was crashing or glitching we would be able to focus our efforts that way.

Seems whatever is causing your system to crash is hiding 😡

Before reading further, do you remember running an update or changing anything shortly before the crashes started to occur?

Does it only crash when you have a game open?

If so, it could be one of your overlays for streaming/recording that is causing a problem (nVidia ShadowPlay, Steam and what have we). Try to disable them, and see if that does anything.

Next step would be to try and disable the items that start with your computer to see if any of them is causing a problem.

It definitely happened a time or 2 before i updated to 1809. I remember when i originally updated to 1909 i had to revert i was getting way to many blue screens for some reason and while i could reinstall the chip et something would always fail but still complete the install (something called PSP or something i dont recall)

Definitely dont have nvidia shadowplay. Steam is a must unfortunately due to most of the games i do play is on steam, It happens with either multiple launchers opened or closed, i remember it happening with only steam open, most of the time the only common denominator is OBS but like i mentioned it has happened before without it too.

I think this could be related but the TLDR is in the process of testing a desync issue with my Elgato HD60 (which i still haven't bloody solved) i found that my mic jack on my motherboard is absolutely screwed. Whenever its plugged in with a splitter that came with my ADG1X (and its fine because i tested it on an older PC) it emits a high pitched noise, even when the mute button on the line is on it still goes through it! Could it potentially be a motherboard issue causing these lock ups? There's gotta be an app that could record these crashes if event viewer doesnt show it right?

EDIT: The only other thing i can think of is sleep mode, i usually put my PC to sleep instead of turning it off but i do send to reset every couple of days regardless and again happened on occasion where it would do it on the same day i rebooted or tuned on. I mean the only 2nd hand part in my PC is my GPU the 1070 i got from a friend but he had it for less than a year (it is out of warranty now though) And he definitely didn't mine off of it or anything.

EDIT 2: FFS now i have another problem, i just got a BSOD  saying Kmode exception not handled. Didnt list a file or anything! First time i got it, it apparently has a memory.DMP file in the windows folder.

stupid question but what version of Windows 10 are you running? if you have 2004 maybe roll back to 1909, it's a lot more stable. 2004 has some nasty bugs currently

She/Her

20 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

stupid question but what version of Windows 10 are you running? if you have 2004 maybe roll back to 1909, it's a lot more stable. 2004 has some nasty bugs currently

Think older im on the version going out of date in November, 1809. Just going to 1903 and then 1909 was enough trouble at the time so i reverted to the most stable ive had it. I really bloody hate windows 10, 7 was just way better.

2 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Think older im on the version going out of date in November, 1809. Just going to 1903 and then 1909 was enough trouble at the time so i reverted to the most stable ive had it. I really bloody hate windows 10, 7 was just way better.

oh 1809 was worse than 1903 or 1909 lol. 

anyway, are you familiar with linux at all? it might be an idea to try that. specifically PopOS, as it has an iso already preloaded with nvidia drivers so you don't need to mess around with it. 

if any of the freezing is related to Windows, just booting Linux and doing some stuff is an easy way to figure it out. i'm very familiar with linux and you can DM me if you need help with anything :) 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

oh 1809 was worse than 1903 or 1909 lol. 

anyway, are you familiar with linux at all? it might be an idea to try that. specifically PopOS, as it has an iso already preloaded with nvidia drivers so you don't need to mess around with it. 

if any of the freezing is related to Windows, just booting Linux and doing some stuff is an easy way to figure it out. i'm very familiar with linux and you can DM me if you need help with anything :) 

Rather not mess with Linux at the moment personally. It's honestly hard to narrow this issue down because at one point i did do a DDU and the issue stopped for a while only to come back again and when i repeated the same procedure didn't work. Im honestly thinking its one of 3 things. the GPU, the motherboard or the PSU. but it doesnt help when lock ups aren't bloody logged which you think they would be!

1 minute ago, MajorFoley said:

Rather not mess with Linux at the moment personally. It's honestly hard to narrow this issue down because at one point i did do a DDU and the issue stopped for a while only to come back again and when i repeated the same procedure didn't work. Im honestly thinking its one of 3 things. the GPU, the motherboard or the PSU. but it doesnt help when lock ups aren't bloody logged which you think they would be!

ah ok fair enough. what version of the nvidia driver are you on? the latest? 

She/Her

3 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

EDIT 2: FFS now i have another problem, i just got a BSOD  saying Kmode exception not handled. Didnt list a file or anything! First time i got it, it apparently has a memory.DMP file in the windows folder.

If you upload the DMP file somewhere, I can give it a quick look and see if there is any clues.

That particular error means something went wrong on a kernel level of the system.

It sounds like you have been going back and forth with Windows versions a couple of times. Lets try to give that a little repair.

Open a Command Promt with admin priviliges and run these commands in that order.

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If that commands comes back with any errors, run the next:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Give your PC a restart at this point.

If you have a spare internal harddrive, you could try to disconnect your harddrives, and just run with the spare, install Windows and see if it persists on a fresh install. If not, good old "Format C:" on your regular drive might do the trick.

Ok so there actaully IS a pattern i just havent noticed. Usually without fail when right before this happens an information event pops up in event viewer. Specifically these few

Event 6 File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2037‎-‎02‎-‎23T16:11:04.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Event 6 File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2034‎-‎08‎-‎14T00:30:12.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Volume C (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) is healthy.  No action is needed.

The first 2 happens the exact same time the critical error which is me restarting but pressing the reset button so not cleaning.

Again dunno what is actually causing it because it doesnt save a bloody dump but maybe it might bring anyone closer to someone who might know the problem?

• 1 month later...

At this point, have you tried doing a re-install of Windows? re-reading the thread, it seems that is the only option not explored yet.

Maybe something is just broken in software.

3 minutes ago, The89Lunder said:

At this point, have you tried doing a re-install of Windows? re-reading the thread, it seems that is the only option not explored yet.

Maybe something is just broken in software.

Yup thats what i plan on doing I think. Is there a way to save certain settings? Like update settings, folder options, power options so i dont have to crawl through ALL that again?

No, I am afraid not. Go through them, and make a note of the setting in Notepad or Wordpad, that is the easiest way I have found.

I have mild OCD in that regard, my PC has to be just so 🤓.

If you have iCue software or similar, that, you can create a backup of, so let me know what kind of software you have like that, and I will try to find all the storage locations for you.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:59 AM, The89Lunder said:

No, I am afraid not. Go through them, and make a note of the setting in Notepad or Wordpad, that is the easiest way I have found.

I have mild OCD in that regard, my PC has to be just so 🤓.

If you have iCue software or similar, that, you can create a backup of, so let me know what kind of software you have like that, and I will try to find all the storage locations for you.

Nope its mainly explorer settings and then having to do the same with chrome or whatever browser because apparently it reads it differently. Seriously why would i want my files grouped in any way.