Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hunter_Actual

Windows 10 cannot access local windows 10 shares on wifi only

Just now, Hunter_Actual said:

We use ease us todo backup, and backup all the important data on to an old win 7 pc on the network and another copy onto an external hdd, is this good?

 

Are there good nas that come with an 8tb drive ?

Probably best to have a offsite copy if you can. Also make sure you check your backups.

 

Normally buy the drives separately. There easy to install.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
Hello,

I have a small office, i have 3 win 7 desktops connected via ethernet, recently i purchased 2 laptops (both have intel wifi cards) that came within windows10 pro.

The problem is that,
1. when i connect both the laptops with WiFi they can see the 3 windows 7 desktops and access them, but the windows 7 desktops cannot acces the laptops.

2. The other problem is that the 2 windows 10 laptops cannot ping each other or see each other's network shares when connected with wifi, but every thing works well if i connect both the laptops with Ethernet. (This problem is not present in my old windows 7 laptop) there is no antivirus or firewall software installed.

I have tried enabling smb 1, set the required services to automatic, reinstalled wifi drivers, tried netcfg -d, disabled firewall, disabled windows defender, set the location to private, even tried manual ip assignment and set sharing settings in the network and sharing center.

Both the laptops have automatic updates turned on and update frequently.

The only thing that worked is conneting both the laptops with ethernet, this problem does not exist in my old windows 7 laptop it can ping and access my other 3 windows 7 desktops and vice versa
Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the firewall zone? Public will block pings and smb if I remember right

 

Don't enable smb1

 

How is your wifi setup? Is is designed to block peer to peer traffic? This seems to be a wifi issue.

 

Also please upgrade from windows 7, esp on work systems, lots of security issues.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the firewall zone? Public will block pings and smb if I remember right

 

Don't enable smb1

 

How is your wifi setup? Is is designed to block peer to peer traffic? This seems to be a wifi issue.

 

Also please upgrade from windows 7, esp on work systems, lots of security issues.

 

Zone is private on both, wifi is a simple tplink wifi n router

My other laptops can ping each other just fine, only these win 10 laptops have this problem.

 

But i will have to re purchase all the licenses from msft again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the firewall zone? Public will block pings and smb if I remember right

 

Don't enable smb1

 

How is your wifi setup? Is is designed to block peer to peer traffic? This seems to be a wifi issue.

 

Also please upgrade from windows 7, esp on work systems, lots of security issues.

 

Honestly I and most of my staff hate windows 10 as its slow and lots of bugs and frequent updates break something or the other, thinking about upgrading to Ubuntu on all my systems

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hunter_Actual said:

Honestly I and most of my staff hate windows 10 as its slow and lots of bugs and frequent updates break something or the other, thinking about upgrading to Ubuntu on all my systems

thats  nouther option, just use a supported os

35 minutes ago, Hunter_Actual said:

Zone is private on both, wifi is a simple tplink wifi n router

My other laptops can ping each other just fine, only these win 10 laptops have this problem.

 

But i will have to re purchase all the licenses from msft again.

you should be able to still upgrade to 10 for free.

 

 

you laptops can ping over wifi or wired?

 

Do the new laptops work over wired?

 

Id really look into a nas or a cloud storage system, storing data on other systems isn't the best idea.

 

So if you try to go to a path like \\pcname\share what error do you get?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats  nouther option, just use a supported os

you should be able to still upgrade to 10 for free.

 

 

you laptops can ping over wifi or wired?

 

Do the new laptops work over wired?

 

Id really look into a nas or a cloud storage system, storing data on other systems isn't the best idea.

 

So if you try to go to a path like \\pcname\share what error do you get?

Laptops will only ping on ethernet and not on wifi.

 

Yes the new laptops work perfectly over wired.

 

Honetly i want to move to linux after sometime.

 

I am certainly willing to switch to a NAS.

 

When i enter \\pcname, i get, windows cannot access \\pcname, check the spelling or there might be a problem with your network, Error 0x80070035

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hunter_Actual said:

Laptops will only ping on ethernet and not on wifi.

Yes the new laptops work perfectly over wired.

I am certainly willing to switch to a NAS.

When i enter \\pcname, i get, windows cannot access \\pcname, check the spelling or there might be a problem with your network, Error 0x80070035

wht error do you get when you try to ping it? Is it resolving the ip correctly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

wht error do you get when you try to ping it? Is it resolving the ip correctly?

When pinging over wifi i get destination host unreachable on both laptops.

 

Pinging on wired workd fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hunter_Actual said:

When pinging over wifi i get destination host unreachable on both laptops.

 

Pinging on wired workd fine.

does it resolve the ip correctly? can you ping with ip?

 

Im assuming you  don't have a AD domain, correct?

 

Feels like either a firewall issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

does it resolve the ip correctly? can you ping with ip?

 

Im assuming you  don't have a AD domain, correct?

 

Feels like either a firewall issue

No it doesnot resolve ip at all, no pinging with ip shows the same, destination host unreachable.

No ad, just simple file sharing.

 

Tried turning off the firewall on both laptops still the same problem

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hunter_Actual said:

No it doesnot resolve ip at all, no pinging with ip shows the same, destination host unreachable.

No ad, just simple file sharing.

 

Tried turning off the firewall on both laptops still the same problem

does arp -a show the  deviceson the network? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

does arp -a show the  deviceson the network? 

I can see my other systems in network, but these 2 laptops cannot access each other and neither can any of my older systems access or ping these laptops on wifi

 

Arp -a shows other devices

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hunter_Actual said:

I can see my other systems in network, but these 2 laptops cannot access each other and neither can any of my older systems access or ping these laptops on wifi

 

Arp -a shows other devices

firewall is off correct?

 

This seems like a network configuration issue or a wifi setup that blocking it, as wired works fine. 

 

I can't think of any easy way to really frim thi, id personally probably start doing packet caps and see where the data ends up, but that get complex quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

firewall is off correct?

 

This seems like a network configuration issue or a wifi setup that blocking it, as wired works fine. 

 

I can't think of any easy way to really frim thi, id personally probably start doing packet caps and see where the data ends up, but that get complex quickly.

Yes firewall is off.

 

How do i do packet caps?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hunter_Actual said:

Yes firewall is off.

 

How do i do packet caps?

 

Hve you tried. fresh os install on the laptops?

 

Try using wireshare, but its not easy.

 

Really, id try to get a nas or cloud storage here, pc to pc isn't the way to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Hve you tried. fresh os install on the laptops?

 

Try using wireshare, but its not easy.

 

Really, id try to get a nas or cloud storage here, pc to pc isn't the way to go.

No i have not tried a fresh install, i do have a win 10 pro dvd from 2017.

 

Can you recommend a good nas the doesn't cost much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hunter_Actual said:

No i have not tried a fresh install, i do have a win 10 pro dvd from 2017.

 

Can you recommend a good nas the doesn't cost much.

what is not much?

 

How much storage?

 

HOw about a synology like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DS420j-Diskless-4-Bay-DDR4/dp/B083HJY9T8/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_2/135-6015516-0654723?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B083HJY9T8&pd_rd_r=a993b28d-8bf3-4fa3-9f64-7382bb9cda63&pd_rd_w=JKRfS&pd_rd_wg=VxiXT&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=A5BP355V854X5V61T5B1&psc=1&refRID=A5BP355V854X5V61T5B1

 

Or if you don't store much, id really just get something like gsuite or office 365, much less to manage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

8tb is plenty for us and i can afford upton $400.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hunter_Actual said:

8tb is plenty for us and i can afford upton $400.

Probably get a 2 by then, and get 8 tb drives.

 

But still go cloud, the gsuite has unlimited data for 10 ish dollars a month

 

ALso whats your backups plan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably get a 2 by then, and get 8 tb drives.

 

But still go cloud, the gsuite has unlimited data for 10 ish dollars a month

 

ALso whats your backups plan?

We use ease us todo backup, and backup all the important data on to an old win 7 pc on the network and another copy onto an external hdd, is this good?

 

Are there good nas that come with an 8tb drive ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably get a 2 by then, and get 8 tb drives.

 

But still go cloud, the gsuite has unlimited data for 10 ish dollars a month

 

ALso whats your backups plan?

Does gsuite support 10 plus users ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
Just now, Hunter_Actual said:

We use ease us todo backup, and backup all the important data on to an old win 7 pc on the network and another copy onto an external hdd, is this good?

 

Are there good nas that come with an 8tb drive ?

Probably best to have a offsite copy if you can. Also make sure you check your backups.

 

Normally buy the drives separately. There easy to install.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably best to have a offsite copy if you can. Also make sure you check your backups.

 

Normally buy the drives separately. There easy to install.

Ok i will follow that routine every week.

Can you give me a good 2bay nas and a good 8tb hdd for it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hunter_Actual said:

Ok i will follow that routine every week.

Can you give me a good 2bay nas and a good 8tb hdd for it ?

Here is a nas https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-DS220j-Diskless-2-bay/dp/B0855LMP81/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=synology+2+bay&qid=1596831559&sr=8-2

 

Should work fine for file storage, don't expect it to do server stuff aswell, but should be fine here.

 

Here is some drives, Id get 2 for a raid 1. Not really needed, but if a drive failes you can keep working like nothing happened.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-256MB-Cache-3-5-Inch-Enterprise/dp/B07D9625PB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3S788QB3IN0V0&dchild=1&keywords=8tb+ironwolf&qid=1596831643&sprefix=8tb+iron%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×