Strange laptop battery behavior (HP tpn-c125)

Krzych

Hi,

My friend gave me his grandma's laptop to check and maybe repair if possible and among other typical issues it has one that I don't know how to fix. 

Even with a good battery (I've used two different ones since I have access to another unit of the same model) the laptop needs a charger to be plugged in when starting, otherwise it is not reacting to power button press. But then you can unplug the charger immediately after pressing the power button and it will continue working on battery, even though Windows shows 0% battery. I left it playing a movie at max brightness for a long time just on battery and it didn't turn off, so the 0% battery reading is clearly wrong and not starting without a charger like if the battery was dead is also wrong. 

The battery it came with is dead but it clearly works with a my good one, just won't start without a charger. I don't really want to tell them to buy new battery until I know what is the issue here.

Thanks in advance for any help

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

25 minutes ago, Krzych said:

Thanks in advance for any help

Sounds like a hardware issue, as in the mobo, or BIOS has gone stupid.

A new battery won't fix the issue (as you've already seen)

but it will give them mobility, so there's that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.