Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krzych

Strange laptop battery behavior (HP tpn-c125)

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

My friend gave me his grandma's laptop to check and maybe repair if possible and among other typical issues it has one that I don't know how to fix. 

Even with a good battery (I've used two different ones since I have access to another unit of the same model) the laptop needs a charger to be plugged in when starting, otherwise it is not reacting to power button press. But then you can unplug the charger immediately after pressing the power button and it will continue working on battery, even though Windows shows 0% battery. I left it playing a movie at max brightness for a long time just on battery and it didn't turn off, so the 0% battery reading is clearly wrong and not starting without a charger like if the battery was dead is also wrong. 

The battery it came with is dead but it clearly works with a my good one, just won't start without a charger. I don't really want to tell them to buy new battery until I know what is the issue here.

Thanks in advance for any help

Spoiler

MONITOR LG 38UC99 CPU i7 6900K GPU MSi RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X MOBO Asus X99 Sabertooth RAM Crucial 4x4GB DDR4-3000 SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 512GB CASE Fractal Design Define R5 CPU COOLER Corsair H115i PSU Seasonic PRIME 1200W Platinum MICE Swiftpoint Z KEYBOARD Wooting One SPEAKERS Logitech Z906 5.1 SOUND CARD Creative X7 Limited CHAIR Unique WAU 2 TV LG OLED 55B7V PHONE LG V30

25 minutes ago, Krzych said:

Thanks in advance for any help

Sounds like a hardware issue, as in the mobo, or BIOS has gone stupid.

A new battery won't fix the issue (as you've already seen)

but it will give them mobility, so there's that.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds