How to make an old compact camera/point-and-shoot to be used as a webcam?

I planning to use our old Sony camera (Sony DSC-WX150) to used as a webcam for my online class because webcams in my local stores are always out of stock, even those cheap asf A4tech 720p webcams. I found out that the camera has HDMI at the side so it thought I could use it as a webcam. How can I do it? 

2 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

About 80% of cameras can't do it directly though usb but you have to record the the hdmi output though something like a elgato stream thing but then I still haven't found software that will turn that into a webcam but if ur camera is that 20% there is a few options like spirocam (idk the exact name).

does capture cards work with it?

Just now, Not Wills said:

To take the input of the camera properly but making that into something where it's going to be picked up by windows or zoom or what ever is going to be the hard part

so you mean not all cams can be detected by the camera app of windows through capture cards?

36 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

does capture cards work with it?

Yes, just connect HDMI to a capture card. 

But if you don't already have one capture cards are as hard to get as webcams at this point for the same reasons.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes, just connect HDMI to a capture card. 

But if you don't already have one capture cards are as hard to get as webcams at this point for the same reasons.

i think could order through Aliexpress. Elgato's camlink is expensive. I just want a cheap capture card that support 1080p or maybe 720p since resolution doesnt matter in my use case. 

6 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Use your mobile phone as webcam

I could do that but my old phone is broken. 

I dont want to use my current phone because i dont want it to overheat and damage the battery in the process.

My phone doesn't heat up significantly with the camera app I use.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

My phone doesn't heat up significantly with the camera app I use.

mine does so i wont do it

Before buying a capture card from Elgato or AverMedia you should check that your cam actually puts out live video via HDMI. Not all do! My old Fuji E1 for exmaple has an HDMI port but does not have live video output. If it does have live video output, get a capture card, install OBS, add your capture card, set up a Virtual Cam, add that to Zoom, Skype or whatever you're using. Not sure if this is cheaper (and better) than a webcam though since most halfway decent 1080/30 and above capture cards are like 80 bucks and more.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

6 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Before buying a capture card from Elgato or AverMedia you should check that your cam actually puts out live video via HDMI. Not all do! My old Fuji E1 for exmaple has an HDMI port but does not have live video output. If it does have live video output, get a capture card, install OBS, add your capture card, set up a Virtual Cam, add that to Zoom, Skype or whatever you're using. Not sure if this is cheaper (and better) than a webcam though since most halfway decent 1080/30 and above capture cards are like 80 bucks and more.

how to know if it does have live capture? 

1 minute ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

how to know if it does have live capture? 

Plug it into a TV or monitor to see wether it gives a (clean) video signal?

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

18 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Plug it into a TV or monitor to see wether it gives a (clean) video signal?

ill try it if i have a mini hdmi cable