Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duranson

New Gaming, Editing, Streaming, Recording, and Music Rig

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone,

 

I've made a couple of posts similar to this, but I think I finally have my final build parts and wanted to share them with you all. I was originally planning on going with the NZXT H1, but enough people convinced me that the 140mm AIO wouldn't make sense with the CPU, especially with the amount of money I'll be spending on this system anyway.

 

I decided that I wanted a system with a Ryzen 9 3950x, 32GB of CL16 DDR4-3600 RAM, and a 2080ti. I also wanted it in a vertical ITX tower so that my build would take a very small footprint on my smaller desk.

 

I've also decided to go with a custom loop, and I've chosen the Sliger SV590 for my case. It's not perfect and it definitely has some flaws, but it supports up to a 360mm radiator, so I think it will be the best thermal solution for the parts that I want to put in.

 

As far as overclocking, I don't plan to overclock my CPU at all, but I do plan to max overclock both my GPU and RAM.

 

The tasks that I'm doing on my PC are:

 

1080p video and photo editing

 

Gaming (Minecraft, RDR2, Assassin's Creed Oddysey, Dishonored 2, Overwatch, Valorant, Stardew Valley, Witcher 3 Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out, and random indie games). Also, I want to be able to play all of these games at maxed out settings on my 144hz 2560x1440 monitor. Totally fine if I can only hit like 60fps with games like RDR2 though, at max settings.

 

Occasional Music production

 

Productivity and Media consumption.

 

Game Streaming and Recording

 

So here's the list that I've created. The watercooling parts are not absolutely final and I might switch some stuff up, but pretty much everything else is. I just want to make sure that I can do all the tasks that I mentioned above, and do a max overclock of both my RAM and GPU with this system.

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Duranson/saved/RbCfP6

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Duranson said:

Hey everyone,

 

I've made a couple of posts similar to this, but I think I finally have my final build parts and wanted to share them with you all. I was originally planning on going with the NZXT H1, but enough people convinced me that the 140mm AIO wouldn't make sense with the CPU, especially with the amount of money I'll be spending on this system anyway.

 

I decided that I wanted a system with a Ryzen 9 3950x, 32GB of CL16 DDR4-3600 RAM, and a 2080ti. I also wanted it in a vertical ITX tower so that my build would take a very small footprint on my smaller desk.

 

I've also decided to go with a custom loop, and I've chosen the Sliger SV590 for my case. It's not perfect and it definitely has some flaws, but it supports up to a 360mm radiator, so I think it will be the best thermal solution for the parts that I want to put in.

 

As far as overclocking, I don't plan to overclock my CPU at all, but I do plan to max overclock both my GPU and RAM.

 

The tasks that I'm doing on my PC are:

 

1080p video and photo editing

 

Gaming (Minecraft, RDR2, Assassin's Creed Oddysey, Dishonored 2, Overwatch, Valorant, Stardew Valley, Witcher 3 Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out, and random indie games). Also, I want to be able to play all of these games at maxed out settings on my 144hz 2560x1440 monitor. Totally fine if I can only hit like 60fps with games like RDR2 though, at max settings.

 

Occasional Music production

 

Productivity and Media consumption.

 

Game Streaming and Recording

 

So here's the list that I've created. The watercooling parts are not absolutely final and I might switch some stuff up, but pretty much everything else is. I just want to make sure that I can do all the tasks that I mentioned above, and do a max overclock of both my RAM and GPU with this system.

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Duranson/saved/RbCfP6

 

Thanks!

Pretty sure that the 3950x would be fine in the H1, however I would ask you to consider that new hardware will be dropping quite soon which will mean that your system is probably not going to be the best value in a few months.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

Pretty sure that the 3950x would be fine in the H1

I mean sure, it would be fine, but I would still be getting pretty high temps, especially under load I've scene a 3950x in a H1 get up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Temps with a custom loop with a 360mm radiator would no doubt be much better... plus I could cool my GPU better, which is also supposed to get hot in the H1. IDK though. I've definitely heard mixed opinions from everybody. Some people are telling me to go the Sliger SV590 route, some people are telling me that the H1 temps will be totally fine, and some people are telling me that I should just go with an ATX tower. Really hard to tell what I should actually do, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Duranson said:

I mean sure, it would be fine, but I would still be getting pretty high temps, especially under load I've scene a 3950x in a H1 get up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Temps with a custom loop with a 360mm radiator would no doubt be much better... plus I could cool my GPU better, which is also supposed to get hot in the H1. IDK though. I've definitely heard mixed opinions from everybody. Some people are telling me to go the Sliger SV590 route, some people are telling me that the H1 temps will be totally fine, and some people are telling me that I should just go with an ATX tower. Really hard to tell what I should actually do, lol.

So 200f to C is 93c, which isn't at the 95c thermal throttling temperature. So you are fine, especially if you supply a small undervolt. I would still say to wait until 4th gen Ryzen, and the H1 has really good GPU cooling for an SFF case so you don't have to worry about it. The H1 is perfectly fine, and if you want even better cooling slap Noctua fans on the AIO.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

Pretty sure that the 3950x would be fine in the H1, however I would ask you to consider that new hardware will be dropping quite soon which will mean that your system is probably not going to be the best value in a few months.

Also, there's absolutely no way that I could get away with a GPU max overclock in that case, unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duranson said:

Also, there's absolutely no way that I could get away with a GPU max overclock in that case, unfortunately.

Well I would wait regardless for 4th gen Ryzen and next gen GPUs so that will really just be a non-issue. If you want to go the watercooling route you can but there isn't really any good reason to. (for GPU)


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

So 200f to C is 93c, which isn't at the 95c thermal throttling temperature. So you are fine, especially if you supply a small undervolt. I would still say to wait until 4th gen Ryzen, and the H1 has really good GPU cooling for an SFF case so you don't have to worry about it. The H1 is perfectly fine, and if you want even better cooling slap Noctua fans on the AIO.

Okay. Do you think I could get away with a max overclock of the GPU? I've seen it get super toasty even at it's stock speed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Well I would wait regardless for 4th gen Ryzen and next gen GPUs so that will really just be a non-issue. If you want to go the watercooling route you can but there isn't really any good reason to. (for GPU)

I mean, why is there no good reason to watercool it? Also, do you think i could do a max overclock or no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Duranson said:

I mean, why is there no good reason to watercool it? Also, do you think i could do a max overclock or no?

Because you would need more rad space + other stuff that won't all fit in the H1 and it will just be more expensive than it has to be. I would really suggest to wait for 4th gen Ryzen and 3000 series / Big Navi so you don't have to pay such a high price


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Well I would wait regardless for 4th gen Ryzen and next gen GPUs so that will really just be a non-issue. If you want to go the watercooling route you can but there isn't really any good reason to. (for GPU)

Also, may be a super dumb question, but like what would the performance difference be between if the CPU was at 30 c, to if it's at 93c? Both aren't thermal throttling, so is there really a performance increase there if you're using a huge radiator to a 140mm? Seems like there isn't but that could be absolutely wrong

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Duranson said:

Also, may be a super dumb question, but like what would the performance difference be between if the CPU was at 30 c, to if it's at 93c? Both aren't thermal throttling, so is there really a performance increase there if you're using a huge radiator to a 140mm? Seems like there isn't but that could be absolutely wrong

Not thermal throttling means that it won't drop below base clock. Having more thermal headroom does mean that it will boost more, so if you can keep it cooler it will perform better because it will be able to boost higher and more often.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Not thermal throttling means that it won't drop below base clock. Having more thermal headroom does mean that it will boost more, so if you can keep it cooler it will perform better because it will be able to boost higher and more often.

Okay. I guess my dilemma is that, in a case like the H1, you get a cleaner look, a better thought out design (IO shield and PSU cable at the bottom instead of at the top like the Sliger), I do much prefer the overall look of the H1, and it also comes with the AIO and PSU pre-installed which is super nice. But with the Sliger, I could do a custom loop and get much better temps, but with the IO shield and PSU cable at the top, so I have to run it down the back, and it doesn't come with anything. I've considered just doing a custom loop in something like the NZXT H510 Elite, but I'm just not sure if I really want to do that... I'm a huge fan of the vertical-itx-tower style of case, because it takes up such a small footprint on your desk. That's especially important for me, because I do really want to keep my PC on my desk, and the setup I'm building has a smaller 52" desk with dual 27" monitors and a full size keyboard, so I really want to utilize space well. Then again, I do have my needs in terms of specs which are a Ryzen 9, 2080ti, and 32gb of ddr4-3600, cl16 ram. I just want something that will have good temps and that will allow me to at least do a max overclock on my RAM and GPU. (would I be able to do a max gpu overclock inside the h1?

 

Also, it's worth mentioning that the CPU only got up to 93c when it was under maximum load... which is probably not gonna be super often, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Duranson said:

Okay. I guess my dilemma is that, in a case like the H1, you get a cleaner look, a better thought out design (IO shield and PSU cable at the bottom instead of at the top like the Sliger), I do much prefer the overall look of the H1, and it also comes with the AIO and PSU pre-installed which is super nice. But with the Sliger, I could do a custom loop and get much better temps, but with the IO shield and PSU cable at the top, so I have to run it down the back, and it doesn't come with anything. I've considered just doing a custom loop in something like the NZXT H510 Elite, but I'm just not sure if I really want to do that... I'm a huge fan of the vertical-itx-tower style of case, because it takes up such a small footprint on your desk. That's especially important for me, because I do really want to keep my PC on my desk, and the setup I'm building has a smaller 52" desk with dual 27" monitors and a full size keyboard, so I really want to utilize space well. Then again, I do have my needs in terms of specs which are a Ryzen 9, 2080ti, and 32gb of ddr4-3600, cl16 ram. I just want something that will have good temps and that will allow me to at least do a max overclock on my RAM and GPU. (would I be able to do a max gpu overclock inside the h1?

 

Also, it's worth mentioning that the CPU only got up to 93c when it was under maximum load... which is probably not gonna be super often, lol.

Right. So you have a few options. Either way you are gonna wait for next gen hardware, so it's a question of either basically if you want to do a custom loop instead of an AIO. It really depends on the footprint of the case, but the H1 is a turnkey solution. It depends how much you are willing to tinker with it.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Right. So you have a few options. Either way you are gonna wait for next gen hardware, so it's a question of either basically if you want to do a custom loop instead of an AIO. It really depends on the footprint of the case, but the H1 is a turnkey solution. It depends how much you are willing to tinker with it.

Yeah. I'm definitely gonna wait for the new hardware. Honestly CPU temps in the H1 look fine, it's more GPU that I'm worried about. I want to make sure that I can get a decent overclock on the GPU in the NZXT H1 before I commit to buying it instead of the Sliger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duranson said:

Yeah. I'm definitely gonna wait for the new hardware. Honestly CPU temps in the H1 look fine, it's more GPU that I'm worried about. I want to make sure that I can get a decent overclock on the GPU in the NZXT H1 before I commit to buying it instead of the Sliger.

Do you really need the performance of an overclocked RTX 3080 ti though?


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Do you really need the performance of an overclocked RTX 3080 ti though?

I mean, I want to get 60fps+ in games like RDR2 with settings completely maxed out, on a 2560x1440 monitor. That's probably the most intensive graphic task that I'll be doing. Not sure if that would require an overclocked 3080ti though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Duranson said:

I mean, I want to get 60fps+ in games like RDR2 with settings completely maxed out, on a 2560x1440 monitor. That's probably the most intensive graphic task that I'll be doing. Not sure if that would require an overclocked 3080ti though. 

I just finished RDR2 and there isn't any reason to max the settings out, low settings are just fine for me.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, BlueScope819 said:

I just finished RDR2 and there isn't any reason to max the settings out, low settings are just fine for me.

it looks so beautiful with maxed settings though, lol. do you think a 3080ti would be able to handle that @ 1440p 60fps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duranson said:

it looks so beautiful with maxed settings though, lol. do you think a 3080ti would be able to handle that @ 1440p 60fps?

Possibly. I never tried it with my 2080.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Possibly. I never tried it with my 2080.

Alright. I ended choosing the Sliger SV590. There wasn't thermal throttling with the CPU in the H1, but GPU temps got super high. I decided to go with the sliger just because of the 360mm radiator and I will be able to keep all of my components much cooler, and I will also be able to max overclock my GPU and RAM. I will also be able to go with a custom loop, which should be pretty cool. Thanks for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duranson said:

Alright. I ended choosing the Sliger SV590. There wasn't thermal throttling with the CPU in the H1, but GPU temps got super high. I decided to go with the sliger just because of the 360mm radiator and I will be able to keep all of my components much cooler, and I will also be able to max overclock my GPU and RAM. I will also be able to go with a custom loop, which should be pretty cool. Thanks for your help!

NP


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Duranson said:

Also, there's absolutely no way that I could get away with a GPU max overclock in that case, unfortunately.

I’m planning on the 3900x or Zen 4 equivalent in the H1, and a 2070 or 2080 equivalent  new Nvidia lineup. There are minor H1 mods of putting 2 140mm AER P fans pulling air out on the rear of the case and that can drop cpu and GPU temps 8-11 degrees, and doesn’t harm aesthetic or add excessive noise. 
 


The Potato

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: nVidia GTX 760 || RAM: 16gb DDR3 || Case: Fractal R4 || bunch of drives

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, kewtz said:

I’m planning on the 3900x or Zen 4 equivalent in the H1, and a 2070 or 2080 equivalent  new Nvidia lineup. There are minor H1 mods of putting 2 140mm AER P fans pulling air out on the rear of the case and that can drop cpu and GPU temps 8-11 degrees, and doesn’t harm aesthetic or add excessive noise. 
 

I mean, sure, that would drop temps a little bit, but what I saw in the benchmarks was:

 

Under max load, the CPU (3950x) was 4 degrees Celsius from thermal throttling

 

Under max load, the GPU (2080ti) was 1 degree Celsius from thermal throttling.

 

Even though this is max load, and even if temps could drop a bit, I'm not sure if I totally want to do that. It leaves no room for overclocking the GPU, and spending that much on hardware anyway makes it so I'm not really getting my money's worth, because I can't utilize it all to its full potential (although that's obviously one of the tradeoffs with any mini-itx system.)

 

I've thought about possibly doing a full on ATX tower build, but I don't have a ton of desk space, and my floor has really thick carpet so I don't want to put a PC there and risk bad airflow.

 

Some people have recommended that I get a ATX tower and just suspend it from my desk, but that would require building something custom and bolting it into my nice new desk that I just ordered, and I'm not sure if I want to do that.

 

So I think in the end I'm probably gonna go with the Sliger SV590. It's a vertical ITX tower. It's not perfect in anyway, and I prefer the asthetics and features of the H1, but the thermals in the Sliger would be about 10x better, because it can fit a 360mm radiator, and it supports custom watercooling. This way I could cool both the CPU and GPU, and while I couldn't overclock the CPU, I could get a max overclock on both the GPU and RAM. Again, it's not a perfect case, and there are some things that I really don't like, such as the fact that the IO and power cord are all at the top of the case, below a panel, so you have to run cables down the back of the case, and you also can't use WiFi antennas with it, without using cable extenders for them. So yeah, definitely not a perfect case, but I'm willing to sacrifice the things that I just mentioned for better temps and a quieter system.

 

Also, by the time that I actually build this system, in a few months, I'm sure by then there will be new CPUs, graphics cards, and new versions of the H1 and Sliger SV590, and maybe other vertical ITX cases. So we'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duranson said:

I mean, sure, that would drop temps a little bit, but what I saw in the benchmarks was:

 

Under max load, the CPU (3950x) was 4 degrees Celsius from thermal throttling

 

Under max load, the GPU (2080ti) was 1 degree Celsius from thermal throttling.

 

Even though this is max load, and even if temps could drop a bit, I'm not sure if I totally want to do that. It leaves no room for overclocking the GPU, and spending that much on hardware anyway makes it so I'm not really getting my money's worth, because I can't utilize it all to its full potential (although that's obviously one of the tradeoffs with any mini-itx system.)

 

I've thought about possibly doing a full on ATX tower build, but I don't have a ton of desk space, and my floor has really thick carpet so I don't want to put a PC there and risk bad airflow.

 

Some people have recommended that I get a ATX tower and just suspend it from my desk, but that would require building something custom and bolting it into my nice new desk that I just ordered, and I'm not sure if I want to do that.

 

So I think in the end I'm probably gonna go with the Sliger SV590. It's a vertical ITX tower. It's not perfect in anyway, and I prefer the asthetics and features of the H1, but the thermals in the Sliger would be about 10x better, because it can fit a 360mm radiator, and it supports custom watercooling. This way I could cool both the CPU and GPU, and while I couldn't overclock the CPU, I could get a max overclock on both the GPU and RAM. Again, it's not a perfect case, and there are some things that I really don't like, such as the fact that the IO and power cord are all at the top of the case, below a panel, so you have to run cables down the back of the case, and you also can't use WiFi antennas with it, without using cable extenders for them. So yeah, definitely not a perfect case, but I'm willing to sacrifice the things that I just mentioned for better temps and a quieter system.

 

Also, by the time that I actually build this system, in a few months, I'm sure by then there will be new CPUs, graphics cards, and new versions of the H1 and Sliger SV590, and maybe other vertical ITX cases. So we'll see.

These temps in the H1? Mind sharing the source?


The Potato

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: nVidia GTX 760 || RAM: 16gb DDR3 || Case: Fractal R4 || bunch of drives

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, kewtz said:

These temps in the H1? Mind sharing the source?

I think these were from a video by RandomFrankP on youtube, here's a screenshot of the thermals. Look at the stress test to see what I was talking about.

Thermals.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×