Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack Dvorak

Upgrading, can’t remove cooler

Posted · Original PosterOP

Going from ryzen 5 1600 to ryzen 5 3600x. Removing stock cooler on 1600, unscrewed completely, STUCK hard. I’ve tried pulling it off with some excessive force, but I don’t want to break anything as I wish to resell it. Any help?

1 minute ago, Jack Dvorak said:

Going from ryzen 5 1600 to ryzen 5 3600x. Removing stock cooler on 1600, unscrewed completely, STUCK hard. I’ve tried pulling it off with some excessive force, but I don’t want to break anything as I wish to resell it. Any help?

run it for a few minutes so the cpu heats up, should come off easier once the thermal paste is warmed up.

Just now, bmx6454 said:

run it for a few minutes so the cpu heats up, should come off easier once the thermal paste is warmed up.

Do you think a hair dryer could work?

Just now, Jack Dvorak said:

Do you think a hair dryer could work?

never tried it, but i don't see why not. careful of the more delicate components though.

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

never tried it, but i don't see why not. careful of the more delicate components though.

It worked. I thought it wouldn’t, so I was tightening to put cooler back on, and it started coming off

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

areful of the more delicate components though.

agreed my cooler got stuck on a 3700x i pulled it off the cpu came with it and broke 4 pins off

For future reference, it can also help to twist clockwise and counter-clockwise a little a few times, before you try to pull it off upward.