Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaxFubar

Mini ITX Cases

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently updated my sister's PC and inherited some of the old components.  I've got an ASUS Mini ITX board (link), CPU (link), and memory and though rather that tossing it in the bin that I'd try to upcycle into a little emulator box.  I've got a Raspberry Pi running most of my emulation tasks, but I thought I might try something with a little more horsepower for my N64/PSOne stuff.  I want as small of a footprint as I can get and still run a full size GPU.  I'm planning on going up to a 1650 or similar for the GPU and wanted to see if I can source a i7 2600k if I can(found a few on eBay).  The CPU in it now is just a dual core, so I wanted to upgrade that with a low profile Noctua cooler and get a discreet GPU on a riser.  Also, I've got a 250W SFX supply from the old case but I doubt it's got any 80+ cert on it, so what PSUs should I look at.  I'm not looking at running modern games at 1080p or anything like that, I just wanted to put a Ultra small form factor PC together so I can stash it next to the TV and play old games via emulation.  Money is not a huge concern, later on if I get crazy I can go the Ryzen route on a mini ITX and bigger/badder GPU.   Just looking for reccomendations on the case and PSU front.  Thanks in advance.  

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk 

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

would that one case that they featured in ltt work? like this one: 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

8 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

would that one case that they featured in ltt work? like this one: 

I have the velka 3, really compact but probably not best suited in this build, also it does not use SFX PSU's and only support single slot GPU's.

10 minutes ago, MaxFubar said:

-Snip-

I'd recommend the Silverstone SG13, still very compact but allows for some more conventional hardware to be used. If you want an easier ITX case to build in (slightly bigger) with more harware support, in particular the CPU cooler, look at the Thermaltake Core V1.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB OC@3466MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower 

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW ‖ Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW ‖ Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown RGB ‖ Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair IRONCLAW RGB WIRELESS

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

or you can pull a jake xdxd

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 hour ago, eeeee1 said:

or you can pull a jake xdxd

Not sure I follow you on this, that case seems nice, would have to go the SSD route rather than the m.2 due to the older motherboard, but I'm not too concerned with thermals as what I'm intending to do with the PC is not going to be very hardware intensive. 

ETA:  Velkase seems to be very limited on availability as well.

1 hour ago, MaxFubar said:

Not sure I follow you on this, that case seems nice, would have to go the SSD route rather than the m.2 due to the older motherboard, but I'm not too concerned with thermals as what I'm intending to do with the PC is not going to be very hardware intensive. 

ETA:  Velkase seems to be very limited on availability as well.

you dont get it. remember the people at ltt who have the best pc's? remember that video?

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 hour ago, eeeee1 said:

you dont get it. remember the people at ltt who have the best pc's? remember that video?

I went back and watched the vid.  LOL, yeah, basically more case than I'd want to have, and he's basically upsizing the case to fit the mongono GPU with an ITX mobo.