Funny smell from my PC, maybe the CPU or cooler

Backstory:
Recently my PC had a weird malware so my CPU was working harder than it should normally and it got heated. At first I thought it was the thermal paste so I added a new one. But since that did not work I restored the PC because I thought it was a malware and now it works normally and the temperature looks alright when I run Core Temp as the screenshot (screenshot 1) I have attached here shows.

Now to the problem:
Recently there is a funny smell that comes out from my PC when I run it. I can't describe it perfectly but I think of burned soda drinks. It also makes the air of my room humid and warm as if it is a sauna but it is nothing that is fried. I opened the desktop and everything inside is good. And when I run Core Temp all looks fine still (Screenshot 2).

Question:
What could the problem be? How can I solve this?

NOTE:
It is approximately 20 mins between the both screenshots of Core Temp.

CoreTemp1xcf.png

CoreTemp2.png

The temps seem to be fine, is your pc watercooled, if yes it could be a leak, often coolants smell like death, you can really notice a leak.

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

I don't see anything wrong with the temperatures either. Maybe the high CPU load put more strain on your PSU and something started to slowly fail in there? What is your PSU model? You should try to pinpoint the source of the smell and I would start by the PSU vent...

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

10 minutes ago, mbntr said:

The temps seem to be fine, is your pc watercooled, if yes it could be a leak, often coolants smell like death, you can really notice a leak.

@mbntr No, my PC is not watercooled

3 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

I don't see anything wrong with the temperatures either. Maybe the high CPU load put more strain on your PSU and something started to slowly fail in there? What is your PSU model? You should try to pinpoint the source of the smell and I would start by the PSU vent...

@redteam4ever According to task manager the CPU load seems to be low, at it's highest it reached 25% for approximately 40 seconds but went back gradually to 18% and then 7% when I was only running Firefox, Discord and Spotify. I have no exact idea where the smells come from but all I know is that it appears when I turn my PC on, disappears when I turn it oof and reappears again when I turn it on.

What I could find from my PSU, if I am correct, is this:

ATX 12V GPS-300JB A 90-264Vac 13A 10A 0.3A 2A 9A(11A) 17A

http://www.deltaww.com/products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=010101&hl=en-us

Screenshot_6.png

37 minutes ago, Burmese Python said:

--snip--
What I could find from my PSU, if I am correct, is this:

ATX 12V GPS-300JB A 90-264Vac 13A 10A 0.3A 2A 9A(11A) 17A

http://www.deltaww.com/products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=010101&hl=en-us

--snip--

This confirmed my suspicion that you have a prebuilt PC. Delta is a reputable manufacturer, so it's definitely not some crappy PSU that will go up in smoke because it rains outside.

What I meant was, that the increased load from the malware might have damaged it, not your current load. PSU wattage is usually chosen based on 80% utilization of the whole system. This is fine since PCs usually don't need all of the power most of the time. If the malware was causing overheating, there is a good chance that your computer was requesting peak power for prolonged periods of time which can damage the PSU. You can even see the peak power rating on the label - but that really means peak power, not sustained load.

You should try borrowing a PSU from a friend and swapping it to see if this is the problem. But having a prebuilt PC complicates this as it may use non-standard connectors. You need to check that motherboard power connectors conform to the ATX specification - you should have a 24 pin and 8/2x4/4 pin CPU power connector (Google is your friend here). If they do, any ATX power supply should do for testing.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

1 hour ago, redteam4ever said:

. If the malware was causing overheating, there is a good chance that your computer was requesting peak power for prolonged periods of time which can damage the PSU

@redteam4ever I think I understand but to just out of curiosity:
1) Could I still use it without risking further complications?
2) How sure can one be about the PSU being problem when the cooler was overburdened until I restored the PC?

1) If the PSU is damaged, you shouldn't use it under any circumstances. It's the only barrier that prevents components that are designed to work with 3-12Vdc from getting 100-230Vac (depending on where you live). And it's the only component that can take the whole PC down with itself if there is a critical failure.

2) The cooler being overburdened is only a symptom. There is nothing that can break by itself on a cooler if it just gets too hot. You can be sure only if you test your PC with another PSU and the smell won't be present.