Suggestions on this upgrade path

ankit_k

Budget (including currency): INR 50,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming: CS GO, CoD, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Some upcoming AAA titles in 1080p resolution

Other details:

I am currently have a PC, that I use for occasional gaming like CS GO and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (720p, Low settings).

Current config:

i3-3220

Gigabyte B75M motherboard

2 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

MSI Gtx 750 ti

Corsair VS450 PSU

Crucial 240GB SSD

WD 500GB HDD

Cooler master 310 case

Benq basic 1080 monitor

I am planning to upgrade in parts in the coming few months.

Upgrade 1

GTX 1660 around INR 18,000

Need help here in selecting an appropriate GPU for my budget and other components compatibility. This is my understanding and also the Indian prices are in the same order:

1650 Super < 1660 < 1660 Super

Upgrade 2

Ryzen 5 2600 - INR 12,750

Gigabyte B450 Auros elite - INR 10,000

Vengenace LPX DDR4 8GB 3000 x2 - INR 7,500

Need suggestions for other CPU Motherboard combinations. Also the cheapest B450 board with wifi and bluetooth would be helpful

Upgrade 3

Acer VG240YP IPS 144Hz - INR 15,000

Need help if the 144Hz would really make sense for my config. If not, I would go for Dell P series IPS.

Assuming my existing PSU will still support this upgrade. 

Doing the upgrade in 3 steps for budget constraints.

Any alternate configs, plans or approach welcomed.

Thanks.

might be worth waiting for ryzen  3300x to be in stock, which is better in gaming than the 2600.

b450 board with integrated wifi are just a few and expensive. get a pro 4 and a wi-fi pcie card

You should probably get an I5-9400F(without the integrated graphics) and pair it with any good B365 motherboard you can find.Resi I believe is OK.

Thanks @boggy77 for pcpartlist and @Raina21 for alternatives.

Any comments on Monitor upgrade and PSU situations?

1 hour ago, Raina21 said:

You should probably get an I5-9400F(without the integrated graphics) and pair it with any good B365 motherboard you can find.Resi I believe is OK.

the ryzen 3300x is cheaper and better than the 9400f.

1 hour ago, ankit_k said:

Thanks @boggy77 for pcpartlist and @Raina21 for alternatives.

Any comments on Monitor upgrade and PSU situations?

psu is not great, you should consider upgrading it as well. 450W are enough, it's just it doesn't have the modern protections that you would want from a good quality psu.

with a 1660 or a 1660 super, you would definitely be able to run some of the games at 100+ fps, so getting a 120/144hz screen makes sense.

Until you are a professional gamer, 144HZ won't matter much.(although you will see quite a noticeable jump in the quality). I still will include this link to Linus's video, which will explain it much better to you than I can.

As for the PSU, you can go to in. Pcpartpicker. com and put whatever parts you decide to go on with. It will show you an estimated amount of wattage. Whatever it may be, I recommend that you have a bit of headroom for future upgrades and just in case the initial spike is little too much(about 50w-100w is my recommendation). Also go for a good one and If I were you, I would not actually be worried about the efficiency rating unless it is less than 80+ Bronze.(Electricity is quite cheap in my state). Don't waste money on modular supplies, It will help you save a buck or two (I am Indian and I know how the price of these PSU's spike after they have cleared customs) 

P.S By the Way, for the CPU, just go and have look at the benchmarks. See whatever is more suitable for you and decide accordingly (my cpu is nearly the same as yours and runs games fine, so you might know and understand why I am saying  the Intel for gamers things based on how well they run these modern games considering their age 😜)

@boggy77, Like you mentioned earlier, we might have to wait on the new CPUs to be in stock. I didn't even find any listed on indian websites as well. Will that be around same price and 2600? And I assume all b450 board support the new CPUs with BIOS update

@Raina21, for the PSU, it might surely go for 500-600w in the near future. But was just looking if it might need immediate upgrade.

And for the monitor, I also found an LG IPS with 75Hz around the same price range.

17 minutes ago, ankit_k said:

@boggy77, Like you mentioned earlier, we might have to wait on the new CPUs to be in stock. I didn't even find any listed on indian websites as well. Will that be around same price and 2600? And I assume all b450 board support the new CPUs with BIOS update

yes, the 3300x will be around the same price as the 2600 and will work on b450 boards with a bios udate.

6 hours ago, ankit_k said:

If you want to go the Ryzen way, here is a link for one of the trusted Indian sites to buy the 3300x

https://www.vedantcomputers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3180 

I would suggest based on my personal experience that you try to find the processor from a local dealer. If you live in Delhi for example, you can go to cost-to-cost store in Nehru place Market

P.S- I still suggest you go for Intel because of 3 reasons- 

1. Has 2 more cores than the 3300x, future proofing the rig a little.(if you do minor upgrades only)

2.Intel always has been better in single threaded performance(that is what games require) and AMD has been better in Workstation and rendering due to their better multithreaded performance. Unless you are planning on editing and creating videos or streaming your gameplay, I would not recommended an AMD processor

3.When I owned an AMD processor, man that was terrible. Frequent crashes,hangs, BSOD's unresponsiveness (It was a FX 8350 I had in an alternate prebuilt pc). Things may have improved, but I can't guarantee that the situation has now become better. When I tried contacting AMD support regarding these problems, I personally had a bad customer support experience. 

(And I already mentioned- you have a Processor similar to mine and with the ease it handles these newer games given their age, the Intel processors have a lot of gaming in them. Only problem with the Intel one is no OC support on locked processors - but with what fits in your budget, I don't suppose you would overclock your PC anyways. My FX 8350 pc was rendered useless just after 3 years- stopped turning on, and never was I able to run a game on it as smoothly as my i3-2120.

Let me give you an Indian example to make you understand better. This would be like making a Maruti 800 chassis out of carbon fiber and then saying it runs faster than it's counterparts. It may have the top speed listed as 200 km/h- but what they won't tell you that the car was never designed to run above than 120 km/h, and it probably won't as it's engine would give up sooner than it will reach even 160 :) ;) ) 

Edited by Raina21
Wanted to add an example to make the op understand what I am saying easily

7 hours ago, ankit_k said:

@Raina21, for the PSU, it might surely go for 500-600w in the near future. But was just looking if it might need immediate upgrade.

And for the monitor, I also found an LG IPS with 75Hz around the same price range.

Nice monitor that - even I use an IPS monitor running 75 Hz🙂🙂

@Raina21, thank you for explaining your views in detail.

If I go for the Intel route and b365 series motherboards is what I should be looking at? Like an equivalent of b450 of the AMD side?

This is what I will recommend you to do....

Reuse your drives and case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (₹12745.00 @ Amazon India) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (₹7500.00 @ Amazon India) 
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (₹7512.00 @ Newegg India) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  (₹18000.00) Assuming you can get it for that prid as u have mentioned above.
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (₹6329.00 @ Amazon India) 
Total: ₹52086.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-04 13:11 IST+0530

I checked out a few india sites that sell second hand parts like olx and quickr. I found that these old parts somehow have value in indian market. 750ti sells around for 4000-5000INR, that PSU for around 2000INR, the cpu, Mobo and ram combo for 8000INR and the monitor for around 3000INR. So, u can pretty much easily get a RX 5700 / 2060super in your build. As they go for around 30000INR in India.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

2 hours ago, ankit_k said:

@Raina21, thank you for explaining your views in detail.

If I go for the Intel route and b365 series motherboards is what I should be looking at? Like an equivalent of b450 of the AMD side?

From my experience, yes.(Maybe slightly better performance in games, while little degradation in video editing, wont notice it much). 1 thing you lose going on Intel side is that AMD has extended support for its 4th gen Ryzen CPU's for the B450 motherboards, while 10th Gen Intel has an entirely new socket(LGA 1200, Intel says this socket would support 11th gen though). But by the time the rig I suggested needs to be upgraded (CPU, that is) Intel would probably be making 17th Gen Cpu's and AMD would have 7th Gen Ryzens 😁😁😋

P.S- I strongly suggest that you DONT buy any secondhand parts in India. They, many a time, sell refurbished and non-working parts(they may look original, but mostly these are clones of the real thing made in the big technology black market hubs in Delhi, West Bengal, etc). Also dont buy PC parts online(if you can).They usually have the same problem. My friend had once ordered a 1050ti online. Was listed as new, but when he got it, it became clear by just looking at it that was used. (Had scratches and a lot of dust on it). Most importantly IT WAS NOT WORKING. The seller refused to take the card back and replace it, while the warranty was denied by the manufacturer, and they had a valid point. The item was under SELLER WARRANTY and not the company's warranty. So, he basically had a rs 14,000 paperweight.(the 1050 ti was quite new at that time). I suggest you find a local dealer. one example- I am currently looking to buy an i3-9100f and the listed price on Amazon was about 8,000 rs, while my local dealer was selling it to me for about 3000-4000 rs.

On 6/4/2020 at 1:15 PM, VEXICUS said:

This is what I will recommend you to do....

Reuse your drives and case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (₹12745.00 @ Amazon India) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (₹7500.00 @ Amazon India) 
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (₹7512.00 @ Newegg India) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  (₹18000.00) Assuming you can get it for that prid as u have mentioned above.
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (₹6329.00 @ Amazon India) 
Total: ₹52086.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-04 13:11 IST+0530

I checked out a few india sites that sell second hand parts like olx and quickr. I found that these old parts somehow have value in indian market. 750ti sells around for 4000-5000INR, that PSU for around 2000INR, the cpu, Mobo and ram combo for 8000INR and the monitor for around 3000INR. So, u can pretty much easily get a RX 5700 / 2060super in your build. As they go for around 30000INR in India.

Thank you, for putting together a list. As for selling the existing components, I was thinking of putting that money into Monitor.

But again thanks for that rough estimate.

22 hours ago, Raina21 said:

From my experience, yes.(Maybe slightly better performance in games, while little degradation in video editing, wont notice it much). 1 thing you lose going on Intel side is that AMD has extended support for its 4th gen Ryzen CPU's for the B450 motherboards, while 10th Gen Intel has an entirely new socket(LGA 1200, Intel says this socket would support 11th gen though). But by the time the rig I suggested needs to be upgraded (CPU, that is) Intel would probably be making 17th Gen Cpu's and AMD would have 7th Gen Ryzens 😁😁😋

P.S- I strongly suggest that you DONT buy any secondhand parts in India. They, many a time, sell refurbished and non-working parts(they may look original, but mostly these are clones of the real thing made in the big technology black market hubs in Delhi, West Bengal, etc). Also dont buy PC parts online(if you can).They usually have the same problem. My friend had once ordered a 1050ti online. Was listed as new, but when he got it, it became clear by just looking at it that was used. (Had scratches and a lot of dust on it). Most importantly IT WAS NOT WORKING. The seller refused to take the card back and replace it, while the warranty was denied by the manufacturer, and they had a valid point. The item was under SELLER WARRANTY and not the company's warranty. So, he basically had a rs 14,000 paperweight.(the 1050 ti was quite new at that time). I suggest you find a local dealer. one example- I am currently looking to buy an i3-9100f and the listed price on Amazon was about 8,000 rs, while my local dealer was selling it to me for about 3000-4000 rs.

True, none of my past upgrades as well have fallen in the current Gen CPU sockets, RAM and chipset. So all three anyways get upgraded every time I plan for one