Random system crashes

Go to solution Solved by IC4,
1 hour ago, Smiley7883 said:

Yes I made sure to remove it, if I were to buy one off Amazon what wattage should I look for and a y particular brand you reccomend 

You could get away with a 550 watt, but I personally wouldn’t, with a 2070 I would look for a 600+ just so there’s a good headroom. As for brands, I wouldn’t shop purely off of brand because all of them have bad units in there lineups, just to name some good ones, Corsair rmx / RMI is pretty good(I think the rm is okay as well? Don’t count me on that), seasonic focus gx / px or seasonic prime gx / px. Evga g2 is good. If you can’t find any of those let me know and I can hopefully find more suggestions for you

On 6/2/2020 at 10:44 AM, Smiley7883 said:

Yes I reseated the video card I was wondering his there a chance it could be in the wrong price slot or at this point better off buying a new mobo and powersupply and starting over? Mot sure of the temps.

Please download hardware info https://www.hwinfo.com/ and post a screenshot of the numbers in here, I want your cpu temps. No, plugging your gpu into the “wrong” pcie slot won’t cause your issue. I’m not even sure if nowadays with modern boards if the slots have different bandwidths (maybe budget boards). But regardless you wouldn’t see your system crashing if it was plugged into the 2nd pcie slot, that is something to try though maybe try seating it in a different pcie slot. Do you have discord? Not that I don’t like the forums it’s just this post is getting very convoluted. We can text over discord and If we find a solution Just make sure to post it in here if it helps anyone in the near future. 

On 6/1/2020 at 8:36 AM, Smiley7883 said:

Can someone please help? I'm new to pc gaming and built my first one but I'm having issues while gaming such as blackscreen reboots.

Even when I dial down the settings my system still crashes and it's only during gaming not normal computing. From what I'm reading g it could be my psu but want to.make sure before I keep throwing parts at it, any help would be appreciated, the system runs at stock settings and never over clocked.

I ran the heaven benchmark test last night with crashes so unsure if thsts relevant just trying to give you enough info

I play games like cod Mw,BFV,GTAV,NFS,Crysis3 a little if all but you get the point

Components

Ryzen 5 3600x

Mugen sythe rev2 cpu cooler 

32 gb corsair vengeance 3.2ghz ram dual channel

Msi tomahawk mobo

Rtx 2070 super gpu (msi I believe)

Corsair 750watt psu (unsure at this time being g I'm writing this from my phone)

Cooler master h500 case

512 gb ssd ultrasandisk

4tb hdd wd blue

@jonnyGURU sorry to bother you, but does this sound like a power supply issue? Is there a way he could isolate the problem? Figured I’d ask the guru himself given the only time I’ve ran into a problem like this it’s been power supply issue. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, IC4 said:

@jonnyGURU sorry to bother you, but does this sound like a power supply issue? Is there a way he could isolate the problem? Figured I’d ask the guru himself given the only time I’ve ran into a problem like this it’s been power supply issue. Thank you!

Yes I do have discord it's on my pc which wouldnt really help tilt I have to take it apart, I just dont know what else it could be and if it is a heat issue I really dont know what to do bc I can't any more fans and it's a high flow case, that's why I was suggesting a new powersupply and mobo. Unfort I have work so its gonna have to go to the wayside til at least tomorrow than f ou r a while, I do t want to give up and part it out but I dunno what else to do and outside "experts" are expensive

Well, just out of curiosity you removed the sticker on the bottom of your cpu cooler right? Some people while building the pc make the newbie mistake of leaving it on which can cause overheating issues. To be honest though if that’s not it, your cooler should be very sufficient for your build. I would start with the power supply, buy one off of amazon and if it fixes yours problem then keep it but if not there return policy is solid so you don’t lose out. Power supply’s are very short of supply right now though, just make sure you buy a quality unit, you have some expensive parts. 

Yes I made sure to remove it, if I were to buy one off Amazon what wattage should I look for and a y particular brand you reccomend 

You could get away with a 550 watt, but I personally wouldn’t, with a 2070 I would look for a 600+ just so there’s a good headroom. As for brands, I wouldn’t shop purely off of brand because all of them have bad units in there lineups, just to name some good ones, Corsair rmx / RMI is pretty good(I think the rm is okay as well? Don’t count me on that), seasonic focus gx / px or seasonic prime gx / px. Evga g2 is good. If you can’t find any of those let me know and I can hopefully find more suggestions for you

2 hours ago, IC4 said:

Ok there bot na y options lime the one I previous posted this and possibly another 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTP6QKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PAU1EbGYR0MT5

All of these are bad. Here is a tier list pick something from the A or b+ catagory, I’ll help you look but this is somewhere you can reference 

5 hours ago, Smiley7883 said:

Power supply’s are also super limited right now with supply so you might have to wait for something good because there is no point in putting a fire hazard in your computer 

I totally agree about the fire hazard thing, also sucks supply is stupid low I guess I have to count my blessings that I can still do my schoolwork being I do t have a laptop

5 hours ago, Smiley7883 said:

I totally agree about the fire hazard thing, also sucks supply is stupid low I guess I have to count my blessings that I can still do my schoolwork being I do t have a laptop

I look about everyday on amazon and if I see one that is good for your system I’ll post it in here but you’ll have to act fast lol is there a budget you got in mind? Because there is something that’s really good but it’s one of the top tier psu which in all honesty you don’t need but there is hardly anything around, it’s 150 dollars though lol anyways let me know what you’d like to spend and I’ll send what I see

7 hours ago, Smiley7883 said:

Here are two that I would personally use, ASUS ROG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXKM3KZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WK61EbEK2EEGF

Seasonic Prime GX-750,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XF2JMGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GQ61EbPG9Q170

I know these are expensive but you are problably looking at spending 100+ dollars on a good unit at least and these are above that price, but the prime is one of the best psus you can get and the asus one is also made by seasonic just asus collaborating, both great units from what I can find online

I can't remember what I payed for the other one I know it was t cheap though, also what if it turns out it is not the psu? Whstscthe next step? Throwing parts is still prob cheaper than dripping it off at a shop. The ram is virtually brand new and everything else I'd within a yr old

I can't remember what I payed for the other one I know it was t cheap though, also what if it turns out it is not the psu? Whstscthe next step? Throwing parts is still prob cheaper than dripping it off at a shop. The ram is virtually brand new and everything else I'd within a yr old

Well if you get a psu through amazon and that doesn’t solve your issue, obviously just return it if you want,  and my second step would be replacing your video card just temporarily, do you have any friends that you could just swap the gpu real quick, I know sounds like a fuss but it’s a pain to diagnose without hardware sometimes, if you can’t do that maybe take it to a computer shop for a diagnosis and that’s it, because if they can test it out and you put 60 bucks for information it might be worth it just so you can replace the exact issue. I mean hell you can even do this before buying the power supply, just call locally and see what they charge for diagnosis 

I've called a few places and the cheapest is 85/he with 1 hr minum and slow turn around 

That would really piss me off if it was the gpu it was not cheap

That would really piss me off if it was the gpu it was not cheap

Most video cards have a 2-3 year warranty. You should be fine If they tell you that’s the problem, you call up the company that made your card and explain that a shop diagnosed it’s the problem and you’d like to send it in for a rma, you have to pay shipping but they should fix your card or send you a new one