Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taylor583

Why Does My Internet Suck So Damn Bad

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

For starters I'm in Canada and my Dad is paying BELL a bunch of money for fast "Fibe Internet", although we are not getting even close to the speed that we should be getting.

Our wifi should be more than capable of reaching 50-70Mbps yet we are barely hitting 10Mbps. In my room which is located directly above the router I'm getting 1-8Mbps.

We also have weird dead spots for example, the room over from where the router is located if you sit on the couch you completely lose WiFi connection. 

A couple of workers from Bell have visited but they didn't do anything. The WiFi was great for about one day after a worker came to fix the WiFi only the day after he installed it. 

Frankly it's pathetic.

 

I'm just trying to play apex and warzone yet it is basically impossible. I could really use some help or advice if you have any! Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taylor583 said:

For starters I'm in Canada and my Dad is paying BELL a bunch of money for fast "Fibe Internet", although we are not getting even close to the speed that we should be getting.

Our wifi should be more than capable of reaching 50-70Mbps yet we are barely hitting 10Mbps. In my room which is located directly above the router I'm getting 1-8Mbps.

We also have weird dead spots for example, the room over from where the router is located if you sit on the couch you completely lose WiFi connection. 

A couple of workers from Bell have visited but they didn't do anything. The WiFi was great for about one day after a worker came to fix the WiFi only the day after he installed it. 

Frankly it's pathetic.

 

I'm just trying to play apex and warzone yet it is basically impossible. I could really use some help or advice if you have any! Thank you!

Something's wrong. I live in Canada as well, and have Rogers highest plan before Fiber Op. I tested on my laptop the other day and had over 400 down, over 30 up on wifi in the same room (the wifi on my 2nd floor is also patchy at times). It could possibly be your router? What router did they give you?


Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

 

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

 

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, taylor583 said:

For starters I'm in Canada and my Dad is paying BELL a bunch of money for fast "Fibe Internet", although we are not getting even close to the speed that we should be getting.

Our wifi should be more than capable of reaching 50-70Mbps yet we are barely hitting 10Mbps. In my room which is located directly above the router I'm getting 1-8Mbps.

We also have weird dead spots for example, the room over from where the router is located if you sit on the couch you completely lose WiFi connection. 

A couple of workers from Bell have visited but they didn't do anything. The WiFi was great for about one day after a worker came to fix the WiFi only the day after he installed it. 

Frankly it's pathetic.

 

I'm just trying to play apex and warzone yet it is basically impossible. I could really use some help or advice if you have any! Thank you!

What router/AP? Do ethernet connections work properly?


Main: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Statik said:

Something's wrong. I live in Canada as well, and have Rogers highest plan before Fiber Op. I tested on my laptop the other day and had over 400 down, over 30 up on wifi in the same room (the wifi on my 2nd floor is also patchy at times). It could possibly be your router? What router did they give you?

They gave us the Home Hub 3000, I attached a picture of it.  

internet_home_hub_3000_en_hh3000_front_reboot_display_re.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taylor583 said:

They gave us the Home Hub 3000, I attached a picture of it.  

internet_home_hub_3000_en_hh3000_front_reboot_display_re.png

Have they tested to ensure it's working correctly? What speeds do you get on ethernet?


Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

 

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

 

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

What router/AP? Do ethernet connections work properly?

The router is the Home Hub 3000 and no one in the house uses ethernet. I would if I could put my computer is on the second floor and the router is one the first floor, plus my dad just doesn't want me doing it. He thinks he knows technology but he really doesn't lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Statik said:

Have they tested to ensure it's working correctly? What speeds do you get on ethernet?

I haven't used ethernet. Due to my computer being located on the second floor and the router located on the first floor my dad doesn't want me "fiddling with it" lol. And for the testing we haven't had anyone over in awhile just because my Dad is lazy, we've just got used to the crappy connection and because of covid. 

I've told my Dad we need to get someone over to take a look and fix it but he won't listen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taylor583 said:

I haven't used ethernet. Due to my computer being located on the second floor and the router located on the first floor my dad doesn't want me "fiddling with it" lol. And for the testing we haven't had anyone over in awhile just because my Dad is lazy, we've just got used to the crappy connection and because of covid. 

I've told my Dad we need to get someone over to take a look and fix it but he won't listen.

Well then there's not much we can do. Either move your rig temporarily to test it and troubleshoot, or get someone to fix it. There's nothing we can do if the work isn't put in on your end.


Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

 

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

 

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 3:30 AM, taylor583 said:

I haven't used ethernet. Due to my computer being located on the second floor and the router located on the first floor my dad doesn't want me "fiddling with it" lol. And for the testing we haven't had anyone over in awhile just because my Dad is lazy, we've just got used to the crappy connection and because of covid. 

I've told my Dad we need to get someone over to take a look and fix it but he won't listen.

I wouldn't usually recommend it but if you can't get your dad to do anything, you could perhaps try some powerline adapters.  Its hard to imagine they would be any worse.


Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your dad a numbers guy?

 

Get some hard data:

- The advertised speed you are paying for. (Let's assume "100mb")

- The actual speed you are getting. (10mb)

 

This means you are getting 1/10th the speed you're paying for. If you're paying $50/month for this connection, you're getting $5 worth.

 

Needless to say, I encourage you working *with* your dad on this. Or even ask him why he doesn't want you messing with it and see if he's fine with you doing certain things, but not others. For example, Plugging in a cable? Fine. Modifying the configuration? Not fine.

...that sort of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@taylor583

 

I agree with the others. You won’t be able to do anything until you can at least test the speed at the modem with a wired-in connection.

 

And if you’re not getting the cooperation of your father, then you really can’t do much on your own. If he refuses to understand that you’re basically paying for substandard internet, then it’s his money being wasted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×