How does grounding affect your pc?

Hey , im having some grounding issues, my case shocks me a lot of times and i have gigantic input lag and the mouse feels floaty and i tried everything you can imagine but didn´t change the case. The case doesnt have the hd audio neither the usb conectors, im just using the front panel conectors, the standoffs seem a little funky and pc is very unstable, even with tests in aida64 and prime95. Could a case actually be a bottleneck for a pc? Since its not in good conditions. Thanks in advance. PS: Could the bad case actually affect the grounding in the whole pc?

not a bottleneck, it's a safety hazard.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Is your wall outlet grounded? Are you using a grounded plug for the power supply?

As for your other issues it would help if you list your PC specs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, grinderzz said:

Hey , im having some grounding issues, my case shocks me a lot of times

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Is your wall outlet grounded? Are you using a grounded plug for the power supply?

If his case is shocking him, then it's very unlikely his outlet/plug is grounded.

i've had discharge issues in the past with old cases that had poor MoBo standoffs. i'd suggest you try another case before you try anything else. 

secondly, check the outlet to make sure it's grounded/wired properly. you can get a little 10-15 USD tester at a local home improvement store. 

lastly, make sure your PSU is a good one. what do you have? some PSU will have energized heatsinks, that may be improperly packaged and leaking voltage, but this would normally cause a short, and a breaker to trip. (learned the hard way)

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

1.  Solder a wire to the outside of the PSU.

2. Solder the other end of the wire onto a 3 ft metal pole.

3. Go outside.

4.  Hammer pole all the way into the ground.

5.  If anything goes wrong, I didn't tell you this.

11 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

i've had discharge issues in the past with old cases that had poor MoBo standoffs. i'd suggest you try another case before you try anything else. 

secondly, check the outlet to make sure it's grounded/wired properly. you can get a little 10-15 USD tester at a local home improvement store. 

Reverse firstly with secondly.

It's probably the secondly.

7 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

3. Go outside.

holy crap was this funny. I was like..... what? waht? waaaaat? this man is insan- ohhhh!

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Reverse firstly with secondly.

It's probably the secondly.

you can have minor voltage leaks that will discharge without having power outlet issues. it's more common in my experience. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

35 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

you can have minor voltage leaks that will discharge without having power outlet issues. it's more common in my experience. 

Then my experience is different than yours.

1 hour ago, VioDuskar said:

lastly, make sure your PSU is a good one. what do you have? some PSU will have energized heatsinks, that may be improperly packaged and leaking voltage, but this would normally cause a short, and a breaker to trip. (learned the hard way)

Hey i have the Seasonic S12II 620W

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

not a bottleneck, it's a safety hazard.

True

1 hour ago, Hilltrot said:

3. Go outside.

AHAHHA

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

As for your other issues it would help if you list your PC specs.

I have no idea but this is a recent house. Here in Europe our plug has to have two ground pins like 100% of the times. But this lack of stability happens to be around all the house. I changed room and it still happens. Im playing semi pro and it is really bad for me to have this input lag. The game was never this difficult, my mechanics seem like a monster truck trying to steer

And btw one time everything just went smooth as well and i could play for like 3 hours

Just now, grinderzz said:

I have no idea but this is a recent house. Here in Europe our plug has to have two ground pins like 100% of the times.

So it's likely that the outlet is grounded then.

What about the cable from the power supply? Does it have the ground pin(s)? Can you post a photo of the plug that goes in to the wall from the power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, VioDuskar said:

I bought a new good quality case and some new C13 cables. One for my monitor and one for the psu. Since one of my monitor actually burned in with one of the cables xD All though it wasn't the cables fault its only like 6€ for two new good brand cables

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

So it's likely that the outlet is grounded then.

What about the cable from the power supply? Does it have the ground pin(s)? Can you post a photo of the plug that goes in to the wall from the power supply.

Yes sure, btw i bought a new case and two new c13 cables from a good brand just to be safe. i also changed like 5 power surges and all of them give me different feelings of the game. Maybe a bad cable? 

IMG_20200429_072114.jpg

3 minutes ago, grinderzz said:

I bought a new good quality case and some new C13 cables. One for my monitor and one for the psu. Since one of my monitor actually burned in with one of the cables xD All though it wasn't the cables fault its only like 6€ for two new good brand cables

what do you mean monitor burned in? 

changed 5 power surges? you mean the outlets? you changed them yourself? you probably want to make sure the wiring is right and that the house itself is grounded properly. i'm starting to think @Hilltrot had a good idea.

it's not going to be the c13 cable man. 

Sorry, I meant a photo of the plug on the power cable not the wall outlet. The plug on the power cable that goes in to the wall so we can see if it has the ground connectors.

8 minutes ago, grinderzz said:

The power cables that come with the power supply should always have the ground connectors on it. If you've replaced the power cable that originally came with the power supply with a different one then perhaps the replacement cable you bought doesn't have the ground connectors. If you still have the old PSU power cable then try that and see if you still get shocked.

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

what do you mean monitor burned in? 

changed 5 power surges? you mean the outlets? you changed them yourself? you probably want to make sure the wiring is right and that the house itself is grounded properly. i'm starting to think @Hilltrot had a good idea.

it's not going to be the c13 cable man. 

I changed the powerstrips to connect multiple devices. I only had my monitor and my pc connected. I don't mess around with electricity haha. The monitor got burned in the back, a 240 hz monitor, i asked dell for a rma and they sent me a new one. The monitor literally was black on the behind. c14 i mean (just tge standard ones). I was using the PSU cable on the monitor and the monitor one on the PSU. I guess it doesn't a difference 

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Sorry, I meant a photo of the plug on the power cable not the wall outlet. The plug on the power cable that goes in to the wall so we can see if it has the ground connectors.

The power cables that come with the power supply should always have the ground connectors on it. If you've replaced the power cable that originally came with the power supply with a different one then perhaps the replacement cable you bought doesn't have the ground connectors. If you still have the old PSU power cable then try that and see if you still get shocked.

I have the original seasonic cable. 

1 minute ago, grinderzz said:

I have the original seasonic cable. 

here in Europe there isn't a pin on the middle of the cable, the are pins above and under

15881418967502984054858900223484.jpg

15881419087948262072679664972645.jpg

I changed the powerstrips to connect multiple devices. I only had my monitor and my pc connected. I don't mess around with electricity haha. The monitor got burned in the back, a 240 hz monitor, i asked dell for a rma and they sent me a new one. The monitor literally was black on the behind. c14 i mean (just tge standard ones). I was using the PSU cable on the monitor and the monitor one on the PSU. I guess it doesn't a difference 

oh yeah. your house/ apartment has unstable or improperly wired power. you need to verify this with a power tester, and maybe see if you can find an electrician if you can verify bad wiring. 

here in Europe there isn't a pin on the middle of the cable, the are pins above and under

That cable looks fine then. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of the 2 prong "Type C" plugs that doesn't have ground.

Oh, and obviously if you're plugging the PSU in to a power strip then the power strip needs to be grounded as well. Maybe try plugging the PSU directly in to the wall outlet to eliminate the power strip? If it no longer shocks you when you plug the PSU directly in to the wall then it could be the power strip isn't properly grounded.

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

oh yeah. your house/ apartment has unstable or improperly wired power. you need to verify this with a power tester, and maybe see if you can find an electrician if you can verify bad wiring. 

Yeah. Im just going to wait for the case to arrive and the new cables. New cables and new case won't hurt and will make things feel fresh. A strange thing happened to me. A long time ago when I didn't know anything about PCs i wouldn't just mess around, i just played, at that time my case had all the connectors and it was all connected. One day my mobo fried, (not on this house) and i bought a cheap case (this one) with the fear of burning another mobo, (don't blame me i was dumb xD). When i unpluged the connectors in this case, i got input lag. Im starting to believe i really need to have everything plugged in for the pc to actually work how it's supposed to. I got input lag just by removing the connectors. When i connected them the pc started to be a little bit better in terms of latency. Strange days

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That cable looks fine then. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of the 2 prong "Type C" plugs that doesn't have ground.

Oh, and obviously if you're plugging the PSU in to a power strip then the power strip needs to be grounded as well. Maybe try plugging the PSU directly in to the wall outlet to eliminate the power strip? If it no longer shocks you when you plug the PSU directly in to the wall then it could be the power strip isn't properly grounded.

Yeah that's a nice idea. I actually tried it and the game was still pretty "unsmooth" ahha. You have no idea how many hours and how much money i spent to buy new parts and monitors just to fix this problem. Also, i had this problems in my last house. I felt laggy as hell. I already had this case, with only the front panel connected. No usb 3.0 no hd audio no nothing. And for some reason that seems to make my pc go crazy xD. Im starting to believe i really really really needed a new case in good conditions.