Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU?

Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,
Just now, DarthSmartt said:

That is likely would I would do. Would the performance of the 3800x be sufficient for using the x264 encoder and playing games as well? I really don't want to spend too much extra on the upgrade I want to stay around 7-$800 on the cpu and mobo. I will be overclocking as far as i can and still be stable.

3800X still has 8 cores just like the 3700X, so while you'll probably be totally fine with an 8-core today, if you're CPU encoding, might as well go for a 3900X IMO

I have been fine with my 6700k and 1080 for a while now, but since getting into streaming I can see that performance could be better since I push games on a high refresh rate 1440p monitor. I use the nvenc encoder on the 1080. Everything is custom watercooled with ample headroom for temps. I have the cpu at 4.5ghz at 1.4v(any thing lower it becomes unstable).

While streaming and playing games both the card and cpu are usually pegged at 100% or close to. I am not sure what I should upgrade next as there has been a lot of improvements in both the cpu and gpu world. All I know is that Ryzen has been kicking ass lately and Nvidias turing gpus have great nvenc encoders. Which upgrade would be most worth it for a better gaming/streaming experience? I have seen people also use x264 encoder while gaming on high end cpus.

As for upgrading the graphics card I would go with the 2080 super. As for the cpu I would probably go with a 3900x and an asus rog strix x570-f mobo.

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

Given that the new 30-series Nvidia GPUs are coming out soon-ish, I'd say go for a CPU now.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Given that the new 30-series Nvidia GPUs are coming out soon-ish, I'd say go for a CPU now.

Also, with a 3900X, you can CPU-encode your video for better video quality than any GPU encoder, and you won't see a performance hit in games.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Also, with a 3900X, you can CPU-encode your video for better video quality than any GPU encoder, and you won't see a performance hit in games.

That is likely would I would do. Would the performance of the 3800x be sufficient for using the x264 encoder and playing games as well? I really don't want to spend too much extra on the upgrade I want to stay around 7-$800 on the cpu and mobo. I will be overclocking as far as i can and still be stable.

Build:                                                                          

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Primochill Vue Red fluid

A CPU upgrade will be (really) wise. That 1080 can still do a good job for games anyway.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Just now, DarthSmartt said:

3800X still has 8 cores just like the 3700X, so while you'll probably be totally fine with an 8-core today, if you're CPU encoding, might as well go for a 3900X IMO

Desktop:

Laptop:

You're at the same tough spot as me. I was rocking a 6700k and a 1080 for the longest time. It's a tough call because you have to either spend a ton of money or you won't get that much of an improvement. I went the way of spending a ton of money and got an all new system.

Timing is also kinda unfortunate. Ryzen 4000 and RTX 3000 as well as RDNA 2 GPUs are on the horizen but all of them arent announced yet. If you accept that in about 6 months, your upgrade won't be the cutting edge anymore, I'd go for the CPU upgrade. The extra threads will make streaming much better. I'm not a streaming expert, tho.

With graphics, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Monster Hunter World at 120 fps at max settings, you're gonna need a TU102. I would wait for the RTX 3000 series in that case, since you will probably get 2080 Ti performance for way less than the current astronomical price.

If you want an upgrade now, I'd go for the CPU and get a GPU later when new stuff arrives.

19 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I guess 4 more cores does definitely justify $100s. That is what I will go for. Also I have 32gb of 3000mhz patriot memory. Is it worth upgrading that as well or leave it be. I know ryzen loves its ram speed.

Build:                                                                          

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Primochill Vue Red fluid