PC slow out of nowhere

LethoX

Hey, I just bought a new PC 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I was playing a game when all of a sudden it started lagging a LOT. I thought it was just the game, so I closed it down. But everything was slow, even my cursor on the start screen. First I looked at temps and none of them were even close to being dangerously hot. I then decided to just shut off the PC, which took atleast 2 minutes in itself because it was reacting so slowly. Booted it again after 5 minutes, the same thing.. Everything was extremely slow, so I ended up shutting it down once again and going to bed. Now next day everything is normal, no lags, no nothing. I kinda want to know what the problem was, because if it's something serious then I need to RMA the PC. If you need anymore information, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer it.

Did you look at the temps while stress testing? The temps can go down quickly if you stop gaming.

Any oc performed on the pc ? Any software installed recently? 

Full pc spec? 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

26 minutes ago, merco said:

Did you look at the temps while stress testing? The temps can go down quickly if you stop gaming.

Yeah, temps are completely fine. I have hardware monitor open while gaming, it shows max temp and it's 68-70c.

15 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

Any oc performed on the pc ? Any software installed recently? 

Full pc spec? 

Specs = Motherboard: Asus tuf b450m / CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 / GPU: Rtx 2070 super / SSD: Intel 660p 512GB / PSU: Corsair VS550 550W / RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200

Everything is stock, no software installed recently. Just mostly games.

Was there maybe a windows update? Also can you reproduce the error?

12 minutes ago, merco said:

Was there maybe a windows update? Also can you reproduce the error?

I updated windows 3-4 days ago, I can't reproduce the error sadly. I really have no clue why it did it.

did you fill the SSD to its max capacity? SSD tends to slowdown when full.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

18 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

did you fill the SSD to its max capacity? SSD tends to slowdown when full.

No, I'm only using about 50%.

the only time that kind of slowdowns happen to me (happened to my old CPU)

-my cpu for some reason is on 100% and is getting overwhelmed by something i dont know

-there is a background app that is causing the PC to go at 100%

-Viruses

-Unstable overclocks

-Memory issues

my guess is there is a background app or something that is causing it to slow down. check carefully when it slows down again. if your process is really high even when nothing is open, that might be it.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

Just now, MartinKweh said:

the only time that kind of slowdowns happen to me (happened to my old CPU)

-my cpu for some reason is on 100% and is getting overwhelmed by something i dont know

-there is a background app that is causing the PC to go at 100%

-Viruses

-Unstable overclocks

-Memory issues

my guess is there is a background app or something that is causing it to slow down. check carefully when it slows down again. if your process is really high even when nothing is open, that might be it.

Alright, thanks I'll look out for that. Hopefully it's not a virus, I did scan immediately today when I booted it just in case and nothing was found.

Update: My little brother bought the exact same PC as I did at the same time too. Now he's the one getting lags, we updated windows 10 the same day (4-5 days ago). So it really makes me think it has something to do with windows. But then it doesn't make sense why it worked to let it sit overnight. Because if you just do a simple restart it still lags when it boots. Shutting it off for 30 minutes and it still lags. I checked the task manager when it happend for him and cpu is at 0-1%, memory is at 18%. Should we get an earlier version of windows?

1 hour ago, LethoX said:

Update: My little brother bought the exact same PC as I did at the same time too. Now he's the one getting lags, we updated windows 10 the same day (4-5 days ago). So it really makes me think it has something to do with windows. But then it doesn't make sense why it worked to let it sit overnight. Because if you just do a simple restart it still lags when it boots. Shutting it off for 30 minutes and it still lags. I checked the task manager when it happend for him and cpu is at 0-1%, memory is at 18%. Should we get an earlier version of windows?

What about disk usage ? Some programs/processes could use only a fraction of cpu/memory available but have massive disk usage.

Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

16 hours ago, shark103 said:

What about disk usage ? Some programs/processes could use only a fraction of cpu/memory available but have massive disk usage.

That's at 0% too, nothing was out of the ordinary as far as I know. 

Update: It happened again, I installed an older version of windows 10 but that didn't work. Now i'm worried it has something to do with the 'hardware'.