Cheap laptops using ddr3 with Intel quad cores?

Got myself a project, create a basic but functional gaming PC in the top shell of a PS4 pro(the top part out of the 3 rings) and be real silent, mainly looking to just play bo3 zombies with custom maps and bo4 zombies and fh4

I need a laptop that I can salvage the Mobo from and has 4 cores, my gpu will probably be some like a firepro v5900 2gb,. mainly because it's low power draw, and how thin it is, and I'll use one of those pcie adapters for laptops, but any suggestions on the motherboard?

2 minutes ago, Stargaze obama said:

Got myself a project, create a basic but functional gaming PC in the top shell of a PS4 pro(the top part out of the 3 rings) and be real silent, mainly looking to just play bo3 zombies with custom maps and bo4 zombies and fh4

I need a laptop that I can salvage the Mobo from and has 4 cores, my gpu will probably be some like a firepro v5900 2gb,. mainly because it's low power draw, and how thin it is, and I'll use one of those pcie adapters for laptops, but any suggestions on the motherboard?

Any reason as to why you can only use that small part of the ps4? Also a firepro vs 5900 is not gonna play those games it's a really weak gpu. Your best bet is probably just a used gaming laptop.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Any reason as to why you can only use that small part of the ps4? Also a firepro vs 5900 is not gonna play those games it's a really weak gpu. Your best bet is probably just a used gaming laptop.

I found a PS4 pro in a bundle of other things, and the two bottom layers were cracked and pieces missing, so only the top is in usable shape, laptop territory is very new for me, I'm not a novice, I've been building for about a year but I stopped, Corona virus got me pretty bored so thought I'd give myself something to do, any laptops you know can be found kinda cheaply? With an mxm slot I suppose, would you say 4 cores is minimum?

I found a PS4 pro in a bundle of other things, and the two bottom layers were cracked and pieces missing, so only the top is in usable shape, laptop territory is very new for me, I'm not a novice, I've been building for about a year but I stopped, Corona virus got me pretty bored so thought I'd give myself something to do, any laptops you know can be found kinda cheaply? With an mxm slot I suppose, would you say 4 cores is minimum?

Mxm slots are kinda a thing of the past and get expesive if you want any upgrades super quickly. Your best bet is to get like a 6700hq or 7700hq laptop with like a 980m or gtx 1060 that has a broken screen. Those usually retail for around 300-400$.

4 cores + ht (so 4c/8t) is the very minimum to even play games today. Especially using laptop parts. Since you are modding it anyways why not get creative and fix the case? Maybe go a bit industrial and make it look like metal plates or something were attached to fix the hull. No limit to creativity and you have a cool battle scarred ps4 story :p.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Mxm slots are kinda a thing of the past and get expesive if you want any upgrades super quickly. Your best bet is to get like a 6700hq or 7700hq laptop with like a 980m or gtx 1060 that has a broken screen. Those usually retail for around 300-400$.

4 cores + ht (so 4c/8t) is the very minimum to even play games today. Especially using laptop parts. Since you are modding it anyways why not get creative and fix the case? Maybe go a bit industrial and make it look like metal plates or something were attached to fix the hull. No limit to creativity and you have a cool battle scarred ps4 story :p.

Alright thanks, see what I can find

And could do that to the case, could be cool

Just now, Stargaze obama said:

Alright thanks, see what I can find

And could do that to the case, could be cool

Sheet aluminium, glue and some bolts and whatnot + some paint can get you a long way into creating these hull type plating styles. If you ever get the chance to rummage through a pile of scrap in a scrapyard do so (be safe tho wear protection and steer away from electronics) you can make some really fun stuff with trash materials.

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Sheet aluminium, glue and some bolts and whatnot + some paint can get you a long way into creating these hull type plating styles. If you ever get the chance to rummage through a pile of scrap in a scrapyard do so (be safe tho wear protection and steer away from electronics) you can make some really fun stuff with trash materials.

Yeah, also I found this, is that an mxm port? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372644673683

9 hours ago, Stargaze obama said:

Yeah, also I found this, is that an mxm port? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372644673683

Seems so. However I highly advice you against mxm cards. I mentoined it before but they are crazy expensive and most motherboards that have a mxm slot can only work with a very limited amount of cards. So for example an msi laptop I had with a mxm gtx 675m could take a much better 980m mxm card but it would never work as the bios was never made to understand that card and therefor locked it out.

Are you going to use the full case now off the ps4? I did some measuring and well if you only use that one part it's pretty much a no go as it's far to slim to fit powerfull components unless you find a slim line gaming laptop.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Seems so. However I highly advice you against mxm cards. I mentoined it before but they are crazy expensive and most motherboards that have a mxm slot can only work with a very limited amount of cards. So for example an msi laptop I had with a mxm gtx 675m could take a much better 980m mxm card but it would never work as the bios was never made to understand that card and therefor locked it out.

Are you going to use the full case now off the ps4? I did some measuring and well if you only use that one part it's pretty much a no go as it's far to slim to fit powerfull components unless you find a slim line gaming laptop.

Yeah, I always like a challenge, I'll see how far I can get, I'll use the rest if I can't fit it in, okay so ill ditch the mxm cards, do you know if those pcie risers for laptops are any good? maybe use one of them on a laptop? I was thinking of creating a metal base for the shell and using the whole thing as a heatsink? But if I can't guess I'll just use the whole shell and Frankenstein it all up

3 minutes ago, Stargaze obama said:

Yeah, I always like a challenge, I'll see how far I can get, I'll use the rest if I can't fit it in, okay so ill ditch the mxm cards, do you know if those pcie risers for laptops are any good? maybe use one of them on a laptop? I was thinking of creating a metal base for the shell and using the whole thing as a heatsink? But if I can't guess I'll just use the whole shell and Frankenstein it all up

Using the case as a heatsink is hard as you need to really engineer a good fin and passive airflow design then. What I would actually recommend you do is use the full case and use a itx board. The main issue with just using the part of the case is cooling but if you use the full system and make it itx with an external power brick you could realistically put anything you want in there.

The pcie riser things for laptops are hit or miss but they also are very bandwith bound so best you should ever put in there is a lower mid range gpu.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Using the case as a heatsink is hard as you need to really engineer a good fin and passive airflow design then. What I would actually recommend you do is use the full case and use a itx board. The main issue with just using the part of the case is cooling but if you use the full system and make it itx with an external power brick you could realistically put anything you want in there.

The pcie riser things for laptops are hit or miss but they also are very bandwith bound so best you should ever put in there is a lower mid range gpu.

Well my budget isn't huge and I'm mainly looking at used parts, I've got £90 saved now and it's actually my birthday in a couple of weeks, also prepared to sell my PS4, so it's probably a mid-range system, wanted to go with ryzen 3 but most decent itx boards are quite expensive as well as ddr4, so was looking at ddr3 based Intel chips?

Well my budget isn't huge and I'm mainly looking at used parts, I've got £90 saved now and it's actually my birthday in a couple of weeks, also prepared to sell my PS4, so it's probably a mid-range system, wanted to go with ryzen 3 but most decent itx boards are quite expensive as well as ddr4, so was looking at ddr3 based Intel chips?

Yeah you might not wanna do this then as modding a case and getting components that fit isn't exactly the cheapest option. Maybe save this as a project for later when you have more money?

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah you might not wanna do this then as modding a case and getting components that fit isn't exactly the cheapest option. Maybe save this as a project for later when you have more money?

Yeah, I wanted to use an old laptop I already had but it uses and e2 1800 by amd, which would be quite a bad solution I presume, should probably save then, I can work for my parents so guess that'll have to do

2 hours ago, Stargaze obama said:

Yeah, I wanted to use an old laptop I already had but it uses and e2 1800 by amd, which would be quite a bad solution I presume, should probably save then, I can work for my parents so guess that'll have to do

Yeah an amd e2 isn't gonna be doing anything these days. People might be interested to buy it for 50$ or less so that might be worth it.

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah an amd e2 isn't gonna be doing anything these days. People might be interested to buy it for 50$ or less so that might be worth it.

Yeah I could resell, needs a new battery and could do with an SSD or a 7200rpm drive, it's current 5400rpm isn't doing too great, list for working parts?

11 minutes ago, Stargaze obama said:

Yeah I could resell, needs a new battery and could do with an SSD or a 7200rpm drive, it's current 5400rpm isn't doing too great, list for working parts?

Just say working and then put battery doesn't hold much of a charge in the description.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just say working and then put battery doesn't hold much of a charge in the description.

Yeah cheers