Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaneisme

350 W Peak 400 W 500 W - Which is it?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to upgrade my card in my Asus g10ac I bought in 2012.

 

I7 processor

32 gb ram DDR3 at 1600MHz

 

I want the GeForce RTX 2060 that says 500w needed. Opened up case

and it says on power supply:350 W Peak 400 W 500 W

 

Does this mean I have 500w which can run it?

 

APPRECIATE any replies for this novice!!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

and it says on power supply:350 W Peak 400 W 500 W

350 watts peak means the PSU is probably bad, implies low current on the 12v rail. A picture of the label would be pretty helpful though.

 

3 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

I want the GeForce RTX 2060 that says 500w needed

fortunately, you can probably get away with a lot less. What GPU are you currently using?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
26 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

350 watts peak means the PSU is probably bad, implies low current on the 12v rail. A picture of the label would be pretty helpful though.

 

fortunately, you can probably get away with a lot less. What GPU are you currently using?

Thanks so much, here is a photo of it. Current GPU is a Geforce GTX 760

20200403_144150.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

What's the name and model number on that PSU?

Here it is, thanks!

20200403_144150.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shaneisme said:

Thanks so much, here is a photo of it. Current GPU is a Geforce GTX 760

 

looks good, not seeing that "350 watt peak" you mentioned, but delta is known to make some really good PSUs so I would not worry too much. If this PC was new in 2012, though, it may be soon time to replace this unit, since they do not live forever.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

looks good, not seeing that "350 watt peak" you mentioned, but delta is known to make some really good PSUs so I would not worry too much. If this PC was new in 2012, though, it may be soon time to replace this unit, since they do not live forever.

Apparently I got that from somewhere else in my head .... :)  So it is a 500w supply? And yes understood on the age. Will just be playing the new MMO New World in the near future, so with the GeForce RTX 2060 will be waaaay more then enough. Figured with the 

I7 processor and 32 gb ram DDR3 at 1600MHz I wanted to stretch out the life some.

 

Thanks again so much for the information!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

looks good, not seeing that "350 watt peak" you mentioned, but delta is known to make some really good PSUs so I would not worry too much. If this PC was new in 2012, though, it may be soon time to replace this unit, since they do not live forever.

Here is the card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

 

I can install a PCI express 3.0 into just a basi PCI slot right? *fingers crossed*

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Here is the card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

 

I can install a PCI express 3.0 into just a basi PCI slot right? *fingers crossed*

Looks like it has a PCIe power connector, so yes.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  Because I don't believe that PSU has a PCIe power connector.

 

OP did mention that a GTX 760 is already in use, which I believe only works with 8 pin PCIe.

 

7 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

I can install a PCI express 3.0 into just a basi PCI slot right? *fingers crossed*

Do mind, PCI and PCIe are two different things. Yes, older PCIe slots are compatible with modern devices.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

OP did mention that a GTX 760 is already in use, which I believe only works with 8 pin PCIe.

 

Do mind, PCI and PCIe are two different things. Yes, older PCIe slots are compatible with modern devices.

Looks like PCIe. Can you please clarify the 16 pin vs 8pin for me. 

20200403_160426.jpg

20200403_160439.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Looks like PCIe. Can you please clarify the 16 pin vs 8pin for me. 

 

 

That dual 6 pin would need to be converted to an 8 pin for it to work with a 2060. I don't see any 6+2 connectors, unless the extra wires are not seen in the pictures,.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

OP did mention that a GTX 760 is already in use, which I believe only works with 8 pin PCIe.

I edited right after I posted.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
38 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Looks like PCIe. Can you please clarify the 16 pin vs 8pin for me. 

20200403_160426.jpg

20200403_160439.jpg

 

29 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

That dual 6 pin would need to be converted to an 8 pin for it to work with a 2060. I don't see any 6+2 connectors, unless the extra wires are not seen in the pictures,.

Would this be it? REAL novice here .... looks like this is the extra 2 I will need? Also one last question if I may. How much degradation will there be putting a 3.0 into a 1.0 pci e?

SO appreciate this information!!!

 

20200403_165337.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Would this be it? REAL novice here .... looks like this is the extra 2 I will need?

ah yes, that's exactly what you need

 

4 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Also one last question if I may. How much degradation will there be putting a 3.0 into a 1.0 pci e?

Well, you might lose some performance, but are you sure it's 1.0 and not 2.0?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Fasauceome said:

ah yes, that's exactly what you need

 

Well, you might lose some performance, but are you sure it's 1.0 and not 2.0?

Awesome to hear! Well from the Asus site it says:

 Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-e x 1
1 x PCI-e x 4
1 x PCI-e x 16

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shaneisme said:

2 x PCI-e x 1
1 x PCI-e x 4
1 x PCI-e x 16

hmm, I don't see any revisions (1.0, 2.0, etc.) but it looks like just a count of how many slots there is of each, so a single x16 for the graphics card, a single x4 and two x1 for everything else. Since you have an i7, which I think all of them support PCIe 2.0, you probably have something that looks like this:

Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 16

 

Of course, it could also be something like this (probably is, if you have a 4770 or something)

 

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 3.0 x 16


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

hmm, I don't see any revisions (1.0, 2.0, etc.) but it looks like just a count of how many slots there is of each, so a single x16 for the graphics card, a single x4 and two x1 for everything else. Since you have an i7, which I think all of them support PCIe 2.0, you probably have something that looks like this:

Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 16

 

Of course, it could also be something like this (probably is, if you have a 4770 or something)

 

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 3.0 x 16

Look like a _1 here

20200403_170902.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shaneisme said:

Look like a _1 here

yeas but that doesn't mean 1.0, just that it's the first slot. Do you have the model of the motherboard?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

yeas but that doesn't mean 1.0, just that it's the first slot. Do you have the model of the motherboard?

Here are the only 3 things/photos I can discern ...

20200403_171912.jpg

20200403_171947.jpg

20200403_171920.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Here are the only 3 things/photos I can discern ...

 

we can narrow it down a few ways, what i7 are you using? For most asus motherboards, the name is often above the GPU slot, but a photograph of the whole motherboard would be sufficient if you can't find the model name. It would be easy to find out what board it is with these two things.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Fasauceome said:

we can narrow it down a few ways, what i7 are you using? For most asus motherboards, the name is often above the GPU slot, but a photograph of the whole motherboard would be sufficient if you can't find the model name.

 

yes.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

 

 

I don't believe there are any motherboards for 4th gen intel that don't support PCIe 3.0 for your graphics card, so you should be absolutely good to go!


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Fasauceome said:

I don't believe there are any motherboards for 4th gen intel that don't support PCIe 3.0 for your graphics card, so you should be absolutely good to go!

Another photo of a code ... and my last question I promise! How much downgrade in power/speed of the card from a 3.0 to a 1.0 (if it is that) would there be? If you tell me a lot, I'll just buy the wife and I new computers, lol. To me a Cpu at 3.4 with 32 ram should be plenty to run mmo's with. But I don't know much about computers. 

 

YOU have been an amazing help! Can't thank you enough!

20200403_172924.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Crap I promised but one more ... lmao! This lithium battery is at least 9 years old. What is it for, and should I replace it??

20200403_170902.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×