350 W Peak 400 W 500 W - Which is it?

Shaneisme

I want to upgrade my card in my Asus g10ac I bought in 2012.

I7 processor

32 gb ram DDR3 at 1600MHz

I want the GeForce RTX 2060 that says 500w needed. Opened up case

and it says on power supply:350 W Peak 400 W 500 W

Does this mean I have 500w which can run it?

APPRECIATE any replies for this novice!!

3 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

and it says on power supply:350 W Peak 400 W 500 W

350 watts peak means the PSU is probably bad, implies low current on the 12v rail. A picture of the label would be pretty helpful though.

3 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

I want the GeForce RTX 2060 that says 500w needed

fortunately, you can probably get away with a lot less. What GPU are you currently using?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

26 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

350 watts peak means the PSU is probably bad, implies low current on the 12v rail. A picture of the label would be pretty helpful though.

fortunately, you can probably get away with a lot less. What GPU are you currently using?

Thanks so much, here is a photo of it. Current GPU is a Geforce GTX 760

20200403_144150.jpg

14 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

What's the name and model number on that PSU?

Here it is, thanks!

20200403_144150.jpg

1 minute ago, Shaneisme said:

Thanks so much, here is a photo of it. Current GPU is a Geforce GTX 760

looks good, not seeing that "350 watt peak" you mentioned, but delta is known to make some really good PSUs so I would not worry too much. If this PC was new in 2012, though, it may be soon time to replace this unit, since they do not live forever.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

looks good, not seeing that "350 watt peak" you mentioned, but delta is known to make some really good PSUs so I would not worry too much. If this PC was new in 2012, though, it may be soon time to replace this unit, since they do not live forever.

Apparently I got that from somewhere else in my head .... :)  So it is a 500w supply? And yes understood on the age. Will just be playing the new MMO New World in the near future, so with the GeForce RTX 2060 will be waaaay more then enough. Figured with the 

I7 processor and 32 gb ram DDR3 at 1600MHz I wanted to stretch out the life some.

Thanks again so much for the information!!

11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Here is the card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I can install a PCI express 3.0 into just a basi PCI slot right? *fingers crossed*

5 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Here is the card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I can install a PCI express 3.0 into just a basi PCI slot right? *fingers crossed*

Looks like it has a PCIe power connector, so yes.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  Because I don't believe that PSU has a PCIe power connector.

OP did mention that a GTX 760 is already in use, which I believe only works with 8 pin PCIe.

7 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Do mind, PCI and PCIe are two different things. Yes, older PCIe slots are compatible with modern devices.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

OP did mention that a GTX 760 is already in use, which I believe only works with 8 pin PCIe.

Do mind, PCI and PCIe are two different things. Yes, older PCIe slots are compatible with modern devices.

Looks like PCIe. Can you please clarify the 16 pin vs 8pin for me. 

20200403_160426.jpg

20200403_160439.jpg

8 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

That dual 6 pin would need to be converted to an 8 pin for it to work with a 2060. I don't see any 6+2 connectors, unless the extra wires are not seen in the pictures,.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

I edited right after I posted.

38 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

20200403_160426.jpg

20200403_160439.jpg

29 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

That dual 6 pin would need to be converted to an 8 pin for it to work with a 2060. I don't see any 6+2 connectors, unless the extra wires are not seen in the pictures,.

Would this be it? REAL novice here .... looks like this is the extra 2 I will need? Also one last question if I may. How much degradation will there be putting a 3.0 into a 1.0 pci e?

SO appreciate this information!!!

20200403_165337.jpg

4 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Would this be it? REAL novice here .... looks like this is the extra 2 I will need?

ah yes, that's exactly what you need

4 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Also one last question if I may. How much degradation will there be putting a 3.0 into a 1.0 pci e?

Well, you might lose some performance, but are you sure it's 1.0 and not 2.0?

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

ah yes, that's exactly what you need

Well, you might lose some performance, but are you sure it's 1.0 and not 2.0?

Awesome to hear! Well from the Asus site it says:

Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-e x 1
1 x PCI-e x 4
1 x PCI-e x 16

Just now, Shaneisme said:

2 x PCI-e x 1
1 x PCI-e x 4
1 x PCI-e x 16

hmm, I don't see any revisions (1.0, 2.0, etc.) but it looks like just a count of how many slots there is of each, so a single x16 for the graphics card, a single x4 and two x1 for everything else. Since you have an i7, which I think all of them support PCIe 2.0, you probably have something that looks like this:

Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 16

Of course, it could also be something like this (probably is, if you have a 4770 or something)

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 3.0 x 16

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

hmm, I don't see any revisions (1.0, 2.0, etc.) but it looks like just a count of how many slots there is of each, so a single x16 for the graphics card, a single x4 and two x1 for everything else. Since you have an i7, which I think all of them support PCIe 2.0, you probably have something that looks like this:

Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 16

Of course, it could also be something like this (probably is, if you have a 4770 or something)

2 x PCI-e 2.0 x 1
1 x PCI-e 2.0 x 4
1 x PCI-e 3.0 x 16

Look like a _1 here

20200403_170902.jpg

1 minute ago, Shaneisme said:

Look like a _1 here

yeas but that doesn't mean 1.0, just that it's the first slot. Do you have the model of the motherboard?

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

yeas but that doesn't mean 1.0, just that it's the first slot. Do you have the model of the motherboard?

Here are the only 3 things/photos I can discern ...

20200403_171912.jpg

20200403_171947.jpg

20200403_171920.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Here are the only 3 things/photos I can discern ...

we can narrow it down a few ways, what i7 are you using? For most asus motherboards, the name is often above the GPU slot, but a photograph of the whole motherboard would be sufficient if you can't find the model name. It would be easy to find out what board it is with these two things.

Primary PC:

we can narrow it down a few ways, what i7 are you using? For most asus motherboards, the name is often above the GPU slot, but a photograph of the whole motherboard would be sufficient if you can't find the model name.

yes.PNG

5 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

I don't believe there are any motherboards for 4th gen intel that don't support PCIe 3.0 for your graphics card, so you should be absolutely good to go!

Primary PC:

I don't believe there are any motherboards for 4th gen intel that don't support PCIe 3.0 for your graphics card, so you should be absolutely good to go!

Another photo of a code ... and my last question I promise! How much downgrade in power/speed of the card from a 3.0 to a 1.0 (if it is that) would there be? If you tell me a lot, I'll just buy the wife and I new computers, lol. To me a Cpu at 3.4 with 32 ram should be plenty to run mmo's with. But I don't know much about computers. 

YOU have been an amazing help! Can't thank you enough!

20200403_172924.jpg

Crap I promised but one more ... lmao! This lithium battery is at least 9 years old. What is it for, and should I replace it??

20200403_170902.jpg