CPU at 100% when it shouldn’t be.

Well my i5 9400f has been going to 100% when I’m playing games and from what I understand that CPU shouldn’t be bottlenecking. I have a GTX 1660 6GB, 16 GB RAM. I’ve tried about absolutely and this problem will not go away if anyone can help I’d greatly appreciate it.

19 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

What games?

Destiny 2, Division 2.

screenshot task manager on the main tab and the performance tab when a game is open

18 minutes ago, Obito_Uchiha said:

Destiny 2, Division 2.

Pretty sure Division 2 scales very well with more threads. Probably Destiny as well. 

Whenever I uncap my frames my GPU and CPU both go to 100% and my resource monitor my CPU frequency is way over 100%. Not sure if that’s bad or not but I’d imagine it is.

Everything is up to date. Temperatures are fine. I’m lost for ideas.

18 minutes ago, Obito_Uchiha said:

Everything is up to date. Temperatures are fine. I’m lost for ideas.

These games are capable of using more than 6 cores.................

25 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Well as long as you aren't experiencing a performance loss (maybe you have the settings up high), I don't see what the problem is

What lol? My specs are fine I shouldn’t have stupid little stutters every few seconds I’d be better going back to consoles then if I have to deal with this...

26 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Well as long as you aren't experiencing a performance loss (maybe you have the settings up high), I don't see what the problem is

6 minutes ago, Obito_Uchiha said:

What lol? My specs are fine I shouldn’t have stupid little stutters every few seconds I’d be better going back to consoles then if I have to deal with this..

What lol? My specs are fine I shouldn’t have stupid little stutters every few seconds I’d be better going back to consoles then if I have to deal with this...

Frame drops every 3 seconds is not enjoyable to play with. Trust me I’ve tried but it’s just stressful I think I’ll just have to try and get a better CPU since all of my other hardware is working perfectly. Just the CPU with insane usage.

Here you go. This information should be rather useful.

What are the system requirements for The Division 2?

ANSWER:

Minimum requirements - 1080p (30 FPS):

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: AMD FX 6350, Intel i5-2500K (MORE DETAILS BELOW) (SSE 4.2 and AVX support required)
Video: AMD R9 280X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better) (MORE DETAILS BELOW)
Memory: 8GB RAM
DirectX: DirectX 11 or DirectX 12
Internet: A permanent internet connection is required in order to download and play the game.

Recommended requirements - 1080p (60 FPS):

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, Intel Core i7-4790 (MORE DETAILS BELOW) (SSE 4.2 and AVX support required)
Video: AMD RX 480 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 6.0 or better) (MORE DETAILS BELOW)
Memory: 8GB RAM
DirectX: DirectX 12
Internet: A permanent internet connection is required in order to download and play the game.

High 1440p Configuration (60 FPS):

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X or Intel Core i7-6700K (MORE DETAILS BELOW) (SSE 4.2 and AVX support required)
Video: AMD RX Vega 56 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB VRAM with Shader Model 6.0 or better) (MORE DETAILS BELOW)
Memory: 16GB RAM

Elite 4K Configuration (60 FPS):

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Intel Core i7-8700K (MORE DETAILS BELOW) (SSE 4.2 and AVX support required)
Video: AMD Radeon VII (11GB VRAM) or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI (11GB VRAM with Shader Model 6.0 or better) (MORE DETAILS BELOW)
Memory: 16GB RAM

So my GPU or CPU aren’t in the supported section that you linked. I’m guessing that will make my game run like crap? Sorry for all the questions.

14 minutes ago, Obito_Uchiha said:

So my GPU or CPU aren’t in the supported section that you linked. I’m guessing that will make my game run like crap? Sorry for all the questions.

Your Cpu does not meet the "recommended requirements". you're actually at entry level without Hyper Threading my man. 

The Gpu is pretty much between recommended 1080P and 1440P however. 

You will see performance increase with a cpu with some thread count and higher frequency. 

The bummer about your situation, The 9400f is OC locked and no HT. You cannot even gain performance with what you do have.

Except perhaps higher memory frequency. Are you running the memory at XMP rating?

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Your Cpu does not meet the "recommended requirements". you're actually at entry level without Hyper Threading my man. 

You will see performance increase with a cpu with some thread count and higher frequency. 

The bummer about your situation, The 9400f is OC locked and no HT. You cannot even gain performance with what you do have.

Except perhaps higher memory frequency. Are you running the memory at XMP rating?

I’m running my BIOS at optimized defaults which is 2400Mhz on the RAM. I think I’ll just have to upgrade the CPU sadly. I appreciate you helping me though.

18 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Would you think the i7 8700 (no K) is a good CPU to buy? That is in my price range and my motherboard supports it.

Just now, Obito_Uchiha said:

I’m running my BIOS at optimized defaults which is 2400Mhz on the RAM. I think I’ll just have to upgrade the CPU sadly. I appreciate you helping me though.

Hey no problem. I understand the frustration. But believe me, with a highend video card and Cpu, an XBOX can't touch a gaming rig out there.

However that may change once the Xbox Series X gets released featuring 8 core 16 thread AMD chip and Navi graphics......

Just now, Obito_Uchiha said:

Would you think the i7 8700 (no K) is a good CPU to buy? That is in my price range and my motherboard supports it.

Yes, it would be a decent chip. It'll spank your 9400f all day long ;)

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes, it would be a decent chip. It'll spank your 9400f all day long ;)

All right man. I appreciate the help. I’ll look into that CPU in the future. I’ll have to deal with the stuttering for a little longer. 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Obito_Uchiha said:

All right man. I appreciate the help. I’ll look into that CPU in the future. I’ll have to deal with the stuttering for a little longer. 👍🏻

Well for now, try and enable you XMP profile on your memory in the bios. Let me know if that helps any?

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well for now, try and enable you XMP profile on your memory in the bios. Let me know if that helps any?

Oh and if you can still see this post I was wondering if you think I could get a i5 9600k. The thing I was worried about was my power supply now if I got that which is only 550 watts. The GTX 1660 recommended watts is 450 and the 9600k is 95 which would be really close to the limit. Do you think that would work? My motherboard is a Prime H310M-R R2.0 if you could answer that or find the best CPU that is compatible with my motherboard that would be dope.

If I was you.... I'd look for a used 8700K which will be 6 cores with HT.

The 9600 is only 6 cores just like your 9400f. No HT.

The 9700/k is 8 cores no HT.

9900KS 5ghz boxed 16 threads but not cheap.

Psu should be ok.

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If I was you.... I'd look for a used 8700K which will be 6 cores with HT.

The 9600 is only 6 cores just like your 9400f. No HT.

The 9700/k is 8 cores no HT.

9900KS 5ghz boxed 16 threads but not cheap.

Psu should be ok.

Mmm I see. I think I’ll just go for the 8700 no K since I don’t plan on doing crazy overclocking I just want a CPU that will let me game in peace and that is looking like the best all around one for me to be honest. Good balance.

54 minutes ago, Obito_Uchiha said:

Mmm I see. I think I’ll just go for the 8700 no K since I don’t plan on doing crazy overclocking I just want a CPU that will let me game in peace and that is looking like the best all around one for me to be honest. Good balance.

Yes that would be a good choice. You wont loose any single core performance and will have 12 threads to work with. Youll get a few years from it no doubt.

I cant justify upgrade for my 2700x or my 8700k at this time. 

Plan to hold off until DDR5 hits desktop platform.