(update: available now)Stepping up from dull WMR goggles - HP announces new VR headset

williamcll

Buy one here: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reverb-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B07R768KJP

While Valve is conducting the VR train, HP is looking to increase their competition against other VR manufacturers with an update to their VR headsets

HP has started to tease a next gen VR headset on its own website and via social media. The iconic tech company is aiming to produce a VR HMD with enviable state of the art specs, professing that its upcoming product will be "the new standard in VR." It is easy to pour scorn on such boasts but thanks to the HMD being developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft it could indeed be a very desirable product - depending upon price.

06769c82-2978-4f8d-8303-e758c8bac6bd.jpg

The mystery new headset isn't named in the teasers, however one can see in the official website URL that it is currently being referred to internally as the 'Reverb G2 VR headset'. This makes it the sequel to the original HP Reverb which was part of Microsoft's Mixed Reality launch lineup and stood out from the pack thanks to its high resolution screens. The new design shares some traits to make it look similar to its predecessor - such as evidence of built-in Windows Mixed Reality tracking cameras. It is being teased as a premium solution though, so it may be priced nearer to Valve's Index ($999), rather than the likes of the Oculus Rift S ($399). In its limited publicity so far, HP seems to focus on developers and architects, which would imply a higher entry price.

Source: https://hexus.net/tech/news/peripherals/140947-hp-teases-no-compromises-reverb-g2-vr-headset/

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html
Thoughts: Unless I know the pricing of this devices I have no interest, and judging HP I won't believe they will be cheap.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I just hope it has hand tracking. Currently rocking a Lenovo Explorer so being able to upgrade to those controllers would be nice!

Looks like an improved WMR headset, which means the same tracking issues (though to be fair it isn't terrible; I have an odyssey+). I am interested to hear about price; perhaps this could replace my recommendation of the Odyssey+ for budget VR.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the tracking. The Valve Index also has two front-facing cameras, but they aren't involved in tracking at all. And that's the company HP worked with on this headset. The biggest things Valve bring to the table that HP doesn't already have experience with is more advanced controllers and the lighthouse tracking system.

On the other hand, the headset shape doesn't seem tailored to lighthouse tracking. But I still wouldn't rule it out.

Anyway, more info is needed in general to form an opinion about the headset. For now we only have the design, which is basically a Rift with a couple dimples and an HP logo. 🤷‍♂️

Still waiting for VR headsets to not cost more than my PC....

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

oh boy, another $1000 headset for me to ignore *adds Oculus Quest to cart*

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: incorrect news please remove

Edited by williamcll

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Okay, so it is plain WMR tracking. With two cameras. 🙄

Meanwhile Oculus has been using five tracking cameras for a year now.

Edit: Nevermind, not the right specs.

I own the Reverb in the pdf in the post above.   This is last years model.   This is _not_  the new model.  So the specs in the "update" post are old.

The new teaser model specs have not been released.

4 hours ago, c6v1999 said:

I own the Reverb in the pdf in the post above.   This is last years model.   This is _not_  the new model.  So the specs in the "update" post are old.

The new teaser model specs have not been released.

I thought it looked a little familiar, hah. Nice catch.