Hard Drive fragments after installing a new game?

Nana6541
Go to solution Solved by Boomwebsearch,
13 minutes ago, Nana6541 said:

Guys, is it normal that the hard drive fragments after installing a new game? I installed a 20 GB game and it caused my Hard Drive to fragment by 7% from 0%. Is this normal? Because it severely impacts my game performance and why don't less tech-savvy people experience this frustration too?

Yes, it would be normal for your hard drive to be more fragmented after writing new data to it, I would recommend setting your defragmentation program to run automatically on a set schedule. Solid state drives don't need to be defragmented, data can be pulled from anywhere on the drive at the same speed. I highly would suggest adding an SSD to your system to run the OS and a few most used programs/files. What operating system are you running, Windows will defragment drives automatically (default schedule is weekly), Macs will defragment your drive automatically as well (from OS X 10.2 and newer), and on Linux you don't really need disk defragmentation and therefore it is not included, you may use any other third-party software at your own risk, I have only used the included drive defragment tools and would not be able to suggest any.

Guys, is it normal that the hard drive fragments after installing a new game? I installed a 20 GB game and it caused my Hard Drive to fragment by 7% from 0%. Is this normal? Because it severely impacts my game performance and why don't less tech-savvy people experience this frustration too?

13 minutes ago, Nana6541 said:

Yes, it would be normal for your hard drive to be more fragmented after writing new data to it, I would recommend setting your defragmentation program to run automatically on a set schedule. Solid state drives don't need to be defragmented, data can be pulled from anywhere on the drive at the same speed. I highly would suggest adding an SSD to your system to run the OS and a few most used programs/files. What operating system are you running, Windows will defragment drives automatically (default schedule is weekly), Macs will defragment your drive automatically as well (from OS X 10.2 and newer), and on Linux you don't really need disk defragmentation and therefore it is not included, you may use any other third-party software at your own risk, I have only used the included drive defragment tools and would not be able to suggest any.

Edited by Boomwebsearch
Edited to add additional information/details.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I would recommend setting your defragmentation program to run automatically on a set schedule.

Windows 10 already does defragment mechanical drives by default whenever the system is idle.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

18 minutes ago, Nana6541 said:

why don't less tech-savvy people experience this frustration too

Why do you assume they don't?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I knew if they had experienced it they would've pulled their hair out, haha. 

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The average computer user won't need to play with disk defragmentation since modern operating systems automatically do it for you on a default schedule. I don't like the term "less/more tech-savvy", anyone can learn anything if they want to, we should encourage learning instead of criticising those who haven't yet. We should all have a growth-mindset since it is proven to help us learn better than having a fixed-mindset. No matter how experienced we are, there is still more to be learnt.

Link to related/further information on growth-mindset:    https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/mindsets.html

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Nana6541 said:

I knew if they had experienced it they would've pulled their hair out, haha. 

Many of those non-techies won't have any idea why their system is acting slow and many of them won't even know if their system is acting slower than it should -- they often just assume it's slow because computers are slow.

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The average computer user won't need to play with disk defragmentation since modern operating systems automatically do it for you on a default schedule. I don't like the term "less/more tech-savvy", anyone can learn anything if they want to, we should encourage learning instead of criticising those who haven't yet. We should all have a growth-mindset since it is proven to help us learn better than having a fixed-mindset.

Link to related/further information on growth-mindset:    https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/mindsets.html

I have no idea why you quoted me. I'm not the one who said non-techies don't experience system-slowness.

6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The average computer user won't need to play with disk defragmentation since modern operating systems automatically do it for you on a default schedule. I don't like the term "less/more tech-savvy", anyone can learn anything if they want to, we should encourage learning instead of criticising those who haven't yet. We should all have a growth-mindset since it is proven to help us learn better than having a fixed-mindset. No matter how experienced we are, there is still more to be learnt.

Those "non tech-savvy" I'm talking about are those that buy prebuilds or gaming laptops (like me) and wonder why it's slow because they don't know fragmentation occurs. 

Just now, WereCatf said:

I have no idea why you quoted me. I'm not the one who said non-techies don't experience system-slowness.

My fault, sorry, I was trying to quote @Nana6541. I read the portion that you quoted from the OP and was trying to quote that in from your post. 

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Nana6541 said:

"non tech-savvy" I'm talking about are those that buy prebuilds or gaming laptops

I don't believe that is fair to state, pre-built computers may be on sale and contain better performing components for lower cost than what you could build yourself (especially the market for used pre-built systems). Gaming laptops are usually purchased for portable computing, while you could build your own laptop, your costs/time of going through several prototypes and spending months or even years usually would not be worth it over buying a product already there. Not saying that you couldn't build your own items or going against it, although I am saying that it would require a further investment of time and money than purchasing a product already available on the market for most cases.

@Boomwebsearch 

18 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I don't believe that is fair to state, pre-built computers may be on sale and contain better performing components for lower cost than what you could build yourself (especially the market for used pre-built systems). Gaming laptops are usually purchased for portable computing, while you could build your own laptop, your costs/time of going through several prototypes and spending months or even years usually would not be worth it over buying a product already there. Not saying that you couldn't build your own items or going against it, although I am saying that it would require a further investment of time and money than purchasing a product already available on the market for most cases.

I wasn't saying prebuilts and laptops are better than those you can build yourself. I don't know where you're getting these ideas from such a small sentence. A gaming laptop is what I have, and the problems that come with it is likely going to be what other people could experience, which could lead to frustration as I have been through too. But if they're not as techy, they'd probably say the computer is trash - which I cannot agree more. There are many problems that come from Windows 10 too, and I've been tempted to buy a console instead just because games performance alright in general and don't need tweaking for things. But I am fine now, defragmenting helps lots with loading and game performance. But seriously, Windows 10 sucks - it's bloated with unnecessary things as well as having processes that run without your consent and ruining your experience. Windows 10 sucks for gaming honestly.