Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Judeds

looking for cpu's to match with gtx 980ti

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

i know the 980ti is a older card but it what i have and i was wondering what a good cpu to pair with it i have two options rn the i7 2600k and the i5 7500 looking for advise? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2600k would work well as you can overclock it if you can get your hands on an OC capable motherboard which would likely let you outperform the i5 7500

 

Beyond that.. Maybe a first gen ryzen? Whats the budget we're looking at exactly and used/new?


Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Judeds said:

i5 7500

I think this is the obvious choice here

You wont get hyperthreading but the other improvements over generations will be there

 


HI, if you liked what i said then please like

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

I think this is the obvious choice here

You wont get hyperthreading but the other improvements over generations will be there

 

actually it matters on  the board. an overlcoked 2600k will beat a 7500 easily.

those gen improvements mostly suck


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 2x8gb Gell EVO 3200, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 750, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Compute server Rappter(remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

WIP NAS Spirt Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

actually it matters on  the board. an overlcoked 2600k will beat a 7500 easily.

those gen improvements mostly suck

the mobo is the GA-Z68X-UD7 for the i7

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

The 2600k would work well as you can overclock it if you can get your hands on an OC capable motherboard which would likely let you outperform the i5 7500

 

Beyond that.. Maybe a first gen ryzen? Whats the budget we're looking at exactly and used/new?

the mobo is an GA-Z68X-UD7

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 7500 (without a k) does not overclock. 

However if person is leaving the system stock, the 7500 vs 2600 per core IPC is around 5-10% better depending on the measurement. 

The 2600K will OC and has twice the threads which makes up for the IPC loss. 

 

It's like trying to choose between a 2700x and a 3600x. One has more threads slightly lower IPC. The other Higher IPC better for gaming yada yada.

Just depends how you are going to run the machine. If OC desired, get the 2600K.

 


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / G.Skill 3600mhz B-Die / GTX 980 bmod / Antec 850w CP series

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / VGA any benching rig / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen 5 1400 / Asus Prime A320M-K / Corsair LPX 3000mhz / GTX-980 Bios modded / EVGA 750 / HTPC

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / 4000+ ClawHammer / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The 7500 (without a k) does not overclock. 

However if person is leaving the system stock, the 7500 vs 2600 per core IPC is around 5-10% better depending on the measurement. 

The 2600K will OC and has twice the threads which makes up for the IPC loss. 

 

It's like trying to choose between a 2700x and a 3600x. One has more threads slightly lower IPC. The other Higher IPC better for gaming yada yada.

Just depends how you are going to run the machine. If OC desired, get the 2600K.

 

will probs run the system oc as the card is the oc'd version

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Judeds said:

will probs run the system oc as the card is the oc'd version

 

The 2600K is a good choice then. 


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / G.Skill 3600mhz B-Die / GTX 980 bmod / Antec 850w CP series

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / VGA any benching rig / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen 5 1400 / Asus Prime A320M-K / Corsair LPX 3000mhz / GTX-980 Bios modded / EVGA 750 / HTPC

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / 4000+ ClawHammer / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

The 2600K is a good choice then. 

alright also just wondering what a good psu would be to run the gtx 980ti and i7 2600k oc would be becuase the market in aus is shitty

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Judeds said:

alright also just wondering what a good psu would be to run the gtx 980ti and i7 2600k oc would be becuase the market in aus is shitty

A good quality 750W PSU should do the trick, Corsair, eVGA or Seasonic would be my picks but im not sure on pricing in AUS sorry :(


Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KenjiS9965 said:

A good quality 750W PSU should do the trick, Corsair, eVGA or Seasonic would be my picks but im not sure on pricing in AUS sorry :(

a 650 would be fine


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 2x8gb Gell EVO 3200, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 750, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Compute server Rappter(remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

WIP NAS Spirt Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

well in my current pc is a 800wat silent pro gold i could use that then get a lower grade psu for my current pc

Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably don't need a really high wattage PSU since you aren't overclocking. I would agree that 650W is fine.

 

I have a 2700K myself running 4.8 GHz at 1.42v and it keeps up with my 980 Ti well. I have a 1080 Ti and that is where it can't keep up well (at least at 1080p).

Also you should get some fast DDR3 sticks (1866MHz or higher).

 

I wanted to upgrade from my 2700K (running since 2013) since i got a job but then the corona virus hit and I got laid off...sigh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, scottyseng said:

You probably don't need a really high wattage PSU since you aren't overclocking. I would agree that 650W is fine.

 

I have a 2700K myself running 4.8 GHz at 1.42v and it keeps up with my 980 Ti well. I have a 1080 Ti and that is where it can't keep up well (at least at 1080p).

Also you should get some fast DDR3 sticks (1866MHz or higher).

 

I wanted to upgrade from my 2700K (running since 2013) since i got a job but then the corona virus hit and I got laid off...sigh.

The i7 2600k is actually a combo with a mobo and ram the ram is nice ddr3 at 2400mhz and I will be over clocking my cpu 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×