(update: possible august announcement) Fold the note again - New flagship Samsung phones mentioned in Kernel

williamcll

Update: According to some leakers, the note will arrive in Early august. May feature a 120Hz screen and Exynos 992 which is built on the 5nm node.

Previous news below:

Spoiler

Multiple codenames were mentioned, hinting an upcoming Note 20, fold 2 as well a W20 (Chinese Fold variant)

few weeks after the announcement of the Galaxy S20 series, Samsung released the kernel source code for the Exynos and Snapdragon S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra. In the Snapdragon Galaxy S20’s kernel source, we found references that we believe refer to the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Fold 2 with the Snapdragon 865 SoC. We also found a reference to a mysterious new device called the “Zodiac” project. We were able to find files for five different devices and 3 different series in the Galaxy S20 kernel sources. The projects were “Project XYZ,” “Project Canvas,” and “Project Winner2.” Project XYZ is the Galaxy S20 series: The Galaxy S20 is x1, the Galaxy S20+ is y2, and the S20 Ultra is z3. Project Canvas is likely the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series, as hinted at by Ice Universe. We were able to find “c2”, but there will likely be 2 more devices, “c0” and “c1”, but we can not confirm these exist at the moment. Lastly, there is Project Winner2. This is very likely the Galaxy Fold 2 given that the first Galaxy Fold was “Project Winner.” GalaxyClub also reported this code-name last month. There were rumors of the Galaxy Fold 2 having the code name “champ“, but that could be a different foldable device that Samsung is working on. The fact that Samsung is using the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 in the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Fold 2 should not be surprising. Samsung already uses the Snapdragon 865 in the Galaxy S20 line of phones, and it only makes sense for Samsung to use it in the Galaxy Fold successor since the first model already uses the Snapdragon 855. We were able to confirm the use of these chips since the “kona” code-name refers to the Snapdragon 865. We can see in the code that “winner2” and “canvas” are both based on “kona” AKA the Snapdragon 865.

Win2-C2-Kona.jpg

Several “Kconfig” files detail the Snapdragon 865 devices that Samsung has released or will release. They include “Kconfig.winner2”, “Kconfig.canvas”, and “Kconfig.xyz.” Each of these files stores the project files for a specific device and the regions that are supported. For example, the Galaxy S20 series are stored in the “Kconfig.xyz” file. In the file, we can see that the Snapdragon version of the Galaxy S20 is available in South Korea, the United States, Canada, China, and Japan. For “canvas”, the file only shows the United States, which would mean the Snapdragon Galaxy Note 20 will only be available in the U.S. Keep in mind, though, that this is still very early in development, so we expect this to change. For “winner2”, we only see a config for the European open market.

Win2-C2-Kona-1-300x241.jpg
Project XYZ aka Galaxy S20 Regions
Canvas-Regions-300x102.jpg
Project Canvas aka Note 20 Regions
Winner-2-Regions-300x102.jpg
Project Winner2 aka Galaxy Fold 2 Regions

Meanwhile in the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip’s kernel source code, we found a new device called “Project Zodiac” based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855. This device will be available in China as that is the only region that is mentioned. It is likely that “Project Zodiac” is going to be a China-only phone, but we unfortunately don’t have more information on this device at the moment.

Project-Zodiac.jpg

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-kernel-galaxy-note-20-galaxy-fold-2/

Thoughts: Considering how expensive the note and fold have been, I simply don't have the budget to spare for a phone like this, and considering Qualcomm now releases gaming oriented SoCs this won't be something I will pick up.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I actually like the fold. It's like a mini tablet in your pocket. Very convenient for looking at charts, pics, or even just reading. I may not be a fan of smartphones in general, but I'd gladly daily drive one of those. I could get rid of my current tablet (Galaxy Tab A). I wonder what improvements it will see though. Like, being thinner when folded would be a huge bonus.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I actually like the fold. It's like a mini tablet in your pocket. Very convenient for looking at charts, pics, or even just reading. I may not be a fan of smartphones in general, but I'd gladly daily drive one of those. I could get rid of my current tablet (Galaxy Tab A). I wonder what improvements it will see though. Like, being thinner when folded would be a huge bonus.

This. Minus the huge cost of course heh.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

please don't use a not a screen protector again.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Seems that folding phones will be a go between as notches were to through/under screen cameras. Fold? I want my scroll!

• 2 months later...

Update: some new rumors about the Note 20:

Will come with a Note 20 Ultra 

120Hz OLED

maybe using exynos 992, a chip built on the 5nm node.

Announcement August 5th

Source: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-20-release-date-1126523/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The only thing that should fold is the entire concept. Too many people on their phones as it is.

...and get off my lawn!