Semi-Open Headphone recommendations

x Princess Leliana x

Alright so it's time to upgrade my headphones to something more nearer to "end-game" (For me, at least.).

I have a few options already, wanted opinions and other recommendations.

Comfort is a big factor, as is longevity, which brings me to two pieces:

AKG k712pro

Audioquest Nighthawk

Those are the main two, was considering DT880s but the lack of a replaceable cable is a real "ehhhh" on the longevity scale. Nighthawks are front runner but more expensive and to quote my friend: "An acquired taste".

What else is there out there?

I would take the K712 Pro all day.

In fact, I did....

0G1A3570-Edit,huge.1551304261.JPG

I didn't have long with the Nighthawk, but I didn't like it and I can't see time fixing that.

Have you listened to either yourself?

Just now, Den-Fi said:

I would take the K712 Pro all day.

In fact, I did....

0G1A3570-Edit,huge.1551304261.JPG

I didn't have long with the Nighthawk, but I didn't like it and I can't see time fixing that.

Have you listened to either yourself?

It's getting hard to justify anything else, they're dirt fucking cheap (half the cost of the nighthawks) and they look FANtastic. Plus apparently sound quality is up there with the greats. And they're meant to be "well over a ten" in comfort

5 minutes ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

It's getting hard to justify anything else, they're dirt fucking cheap (half the cost of the nighthawks) and they look FANtastic. Plus apparently sound quality is up there with the greats. And they're meant to be "well over a ten" in comfort

These were one of my first and I've worn them over 50 hours for sure. Still some of the most comfortable I own.

They're a warm and fun sounding pair of headphones. The mids are the best part and they a nice low end. Really can't fault them much except for the mids being mildly unrealistic. This isn't to say they're bad though. Just more fun than analytical.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

These were one of my first and I've worn them over 50 hours for sure. Still some of the most comfortable I own.

They a warm and fun sounding pair of headphones. The mids are the best part and they a nice low end. Really can't fault them much except for the mids being mildly unrealistic. This isn't to say they're bad though. Just more fun than analytical.

Yeah I prefer fun to accuracy, honestly. Just gotta hope they come in stock on cex so I can get them for like $100

Just now, x Princess Leliana x said:

Yeah I prefer fun to accuracy, honestly. Just gotta hope they come in stock on cex so I can get them for like $100

Whew $100 is worth it all day!

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Whew $100 is worth it all day!

Better than $200 for the nighthawks! :3 

But THey have to be in stock for that

20 hours ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

And they're meant to be "well over a ten" in comfort

The AKG's are comfortable, but in my experience I would not expect plush, luxurious levels of comfort as you describe. The thing about the AKG's is that there is very minimal pressure on your head, but the stocks pads have little travel and could be softer imo.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Akgs the almost comfortable but sound more open than the Nighthawks. 

Nighthawks you buy for the odd tuning and presentation but for gaming accuracy not as good as the 880. To me out the 3 for comp. Gaming the 880 is to me the best for presentation.

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

Akgs the almost comfortable but sound more open than the Nighthawks. 

Nighthawks you buy for the odd tuning and presentation but for gaming accuracy not as good as the 880. To me out the 3 for comp. Gaming the 880 is to me the best for presentation.

Couldn't care less about gaming, to be perfectly honest with you. The games I play don't rely on sound in any way shape or form. These are for music, primary use will be digital from my computer, with high quality audio files (haven't decided a source yet) and records from my turntable, it just so happens that they will also be able to let me hear my games/youtube videos. 

I do like the 880s, but the lack of user replaceable cables on any of beyers stuff really upsets me, or I might try and second hand shop for some 1990s or something.

2 hours ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

Couldn't care less about gaming, to be perfectly honest with you. The games I play don't rely on sound in any way shape or form. These are for music, primary use will be digital from my computer, with high quality audio files (haven't decided a source yet) and records from my turntable, it just so happens that they will also be able to let me hear my games/youtube videos. 

I do like the 880s, but the lack of user replaceable cables on any of beyers stuff really upsets me, or I might try and second hand shop for some 1990s or something.

ah ok. will warn you the 880s leak alot the 7xx leak a fair amount and the nighthawkks leak the least.  there rea;;y arent many semi opens but you got a few more optionsin the closed reagion

On 2/27/2020 at 4:34 AM, rice guru said:

ah ok. will warn you the 880s leak alot the 7xx leak a fair amount and the nighthawkks leak the least.  there rea;;y arent many semi opens but you got a few more optionsin the closed reagion

I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews of the nighthawks, and honestly, I'm too curious to try these headphones to get anything else. I'm either going to violently hate them or never want anything else. It's just too tantalising a prospect.

Now to find some.

35 minutes ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews of the nighthawks, and honestly, I'm too curious to try these headphones to get anything else. I'm either going to violently hate them or never want anything else. It's just too tantalising a prospect.

Now to find some.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Nighthawk-Semi-Open-Around-Headphones/dp/B01MU3YFZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=audioquest+nighthawk&qid=1582923786&sprefix=audioquest+night&sr=8-2

1 hour ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

I'm not US based and they don't ship here :C 

Try the Audioquest website

Just now, rice guru said:

Try the Audioquest website

Luckily there are some at a local pawn shop type place but dubious quality so I wanna try elsewhere first.