Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fao

more ram or storage

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys,

i want to buy a new macbook pro 13" 2019 with 8/16gb ram and 128/256gb ssd. i only would use it for office programms, surfing, videos, light video editing with imovie/resolve, coding with eclipse. (for school) i also want to use windows on the macbook via bootcamp.

would you buy the 8gb or 16gb version or 128/256gb.(only one of both(8gb+256gb or 16gb+128gb) i also have an external ssd at home (240gb ssd).

i also have a really good pc (r5 2600 rtx2060 16gb ram) for heavier tasks like gaming and vm's.

thanks for your help.

I guess chrome being the RAM Munch that it is, 16GB?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB@3.2GHz -  Strix 1070Ti  -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  H100i RGB Platinum SE  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  PNY OC GTX 1060 3GB- XFX Ghost HD 7770 -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Fractal Design Define C  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro  -  1TB Hitachi@7200RPM   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

9 minutes ago, fao said:

sorry what do you mean?

He probably means that you should get the 16GB of RAM version, because chrome uses quite a lot of RAM

I didn't see where the OP mentioned using Chrome, however in general more RAM isn't a bad idea. Especially if you have an external SSD for storage if you get tight on your build-in SSD. With the tasks you described I couldn't see more RAM being too beneficial aside from the video editing/rendering so it's up to you.

On average Windows uses about 40 gigs of storage, this includes initial install, updates, office, etc. It looks like Mac OS uses about 20 gigs of space. There goes 60ish gigs of your 128GB SSD. If you're installing 2 operating systems I'd go with more storage. I'm not familiar with Bootcamp so I'm not sure if that would have an effect on the size of the OS'.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher & 911 Call Taker at work..

PC Gamer when I'm home..

10 minutes ago, Watcher said:

He probably means that you should get the 16GB of RAM version, because chrome uses quite a lot of RAM

yes but chrome doesn t take more than 3gb

4 minutes ago, Durake said:

I didn't see where the OP mentioned using Chrome, however in general more RAM isn't a bad idea. Especially if you have an external SSD for storage if you get tight on your build-in SSD. With the tasks you described I couldn't see more RAM being too beneficial aside from the video editing/rendering so it's up to you.

so what would you buy?

Just now, fao said:

so what would you buy?

I just edited it, refresh. 

I would go with storage, reason why explained in original post :P

Fire/EMS Dispatcher & 911 Call Taker at work..

PC Gamer when I'm home..

3 minutes ago, fao said:

yes but chrome doesn t take more than 3gb

It depends. If you have more than 10 tabs open at once, you might see that change.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad