Nextcloud Question

Nano Adam

I am deciding on running Nextcloud on MacOS (hosting Nextcloud on MacOS), however I got this warning about it not being the supported platform. I was wondering if there is any risk to this? I was planning on doing this via PHP web setup. 

Thank! 

4 minutes ago, ammar_code said:

I am deciding on running Nextcloud on MacOS (hosting Nextcloud on MacOS), however I got this warning about it not being the supported platform. I was wondering if there is any risk to this? I was planning on doing this via PHP web setup. 

Thank! 

I can't think of any issues that can arise just from being hosted on a Mac, (quote me if I'm wrong, always love to learn) with anything it depends on how secure you set it up; From what I know it's down to what your standard practice is for example: password complexities, storage encryption, user login handling, etc. If you were in a corporate environment I'd recommend a Linux Server or Windows Server to host it with either ADFS, or OpenID Authentication. But if it's just for yourself or a small group of people then go for it, just keep an open mind on how secure you set things up such as passwords.

(I run Nextcloud on Ubuntu Server so I'd like to know the differences in regards to security if there are any) 

1 minute ago, CWDev said:

I can't think of any issues that can arise just from being hosted on a Mac, (quote me if I'm wrong, always love to learn) with anything it depends on how secure you set it up; From what I know it's down to what your standard practice is for example: password complexities, storage encryption, user login handling, etc. If you were in a corporate environment I'd recommend a Linux Server or Windows Server to host it with either ADFS, or OpenID Authentication. But if it's just for yourself or a small group of people then go for it, just keep an open mind on how secure you set things up such as passwords.

(I run Nextcloud on Ubuntu Server so I'd like to know the differences in regards to security if there are any) 

Would there be any chance of me losing data maybe?? 

I'd personally stick it in a VM. So much easier if something goes wrong. That and there are lots of ready made NextCloud VM images out there like TurnkeyLinux, so it's a lot less setup.

4 hours ago, ammar_code said:

Would there be any chance of me losing data maybe?? 

Not unless your running something that is likely to cause data corruption. @Den-Fi's suggestion was good to run it in a VM. If you'd like to keep it to your Mac then keep backups on an external drive.

My take on it is, the only way I could see it being damaged is if either have constant read-writes and cause either memory corruption or hardware malfunction (which backups are always useful for) and are unlikely in the first place if you haven't got a huge amount of access to it 24/7 (if you do I'd purchase a VPS since it's hardware designed for that sort of scenario).