Backing up files on Windows Vista?

inonotus

What is the best method to Backup a existing windows vista hard drive with files on it. 

My new PC has a new installed SSD with windows 10 on it I've done driver updates etc everything it's done but only the other pc with Windows vista on it needs to be backed up but what's the best method to do it? It's from my company btw. So there is important files on it.

6 minutes ago, inonotus said:

So there is important files on it.

Copy and paste to a USB stick.

Programs can't be copied over, they need to be re-installed.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

33 minutes ago, inonotus said:

What is the best method to Backup a existing windows vista hard drive with files on it. 

My new PC has a new installed SSD with windows 10 on it I've done driver updates etc everything it's done but only the other pc with Windows vista on it needs to be backed up but what's the best method to do it? It's from my company btw. So there is important files on it.

Control Panel < System and Maintenance < Backup and Restore Center - this will allow you to create a full system image backup to a network/external drive.

Alternatively, you could do a manual backup to a network or external drive. Failing that, some third-party software could make this a little easier for you.

16 minutes ago, Fleety said:

Control Panel < System and Maintenance < Backup and Restore Center - this will allow you to create a full system image backup to a network/external drive.

Alternatively, you could do a manual backup to a network or external drive. Failing that, some third-party software could make this a little easier for you.

My windows 10 is already installed on the other hand . What am I going to do with a image backup? 

39 minutes ago, inonotus said:

My windows 10 is already installed on the other hand . What am I going to do with a image backup? 

Id suggest just copy pasting whatever you need of it. on to a USB like @Radium_Angel said.

Alternatively of the PC overheats before being able to do so, as ive had experience with in the past:

Take the hard-drive out and mount it with like Ubuntu linux, the reason im suggesting Linux, is that windows could be really protective over drives with Other versions of windows on it. And you could encounter issues.

However you could just plug the Hard drive into a windows Desktop if you just want to access Documents, Pictures folders etc..

32 minutes ago, WillLTT said:

However you could just plug the Hard drive into a windows Desktop if you just want to access Documents, Pictures folders etc..

I've done that but it didn't recognize and seen it as 0 MB no media. On my windows 10. 

I ordered this and it's arriving monday for a nice deal 10€ 

Intenso Speed Line 128GB Speicherstick USB 3.0 schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00YMZBNLO/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_NFsuEbXGG25YJ

I also tried to upload it on my Google Drive storage as I do have unlimited space. But it stuck my Google Chrome on windows vista :D. 

1 hour ago, WillLTT said:

Id suggest just copy pasting whatever you need of it. on to a USB like @Radium_Angel said.

Alternatively of the PC overheats before being able to do so, as ive had experience with in the past:

Take the hard-drive out and mount it with like Ubuntu linux, the reason im suggesting Linux, is that windows could be really protective over drives with Other versions of windows on it. And you could encounter issues.

If you encounter this issue again you can manually take ownership of the drive then assign yourself with full read & write permissions. Actually I'm pretty sure that since Windows 8 (at least) Windows will ask you if you want it to do this for you when you try to access the drive.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you encounter this issue again you can manually take ownership of the drive then assign yourself with full read & write permissions. Actually I'm pretty sure that since Windows 8 (at least) Windows will ask you if you want it to do this for you when you try to access the drive.

Is this about linux? I know that if you go properties for example on a letter drive and click properties you can play with roles and permissions on Windows 10 but I don't know anything or remember about Vista.