Advice on chosen upgrades

Hello, I am currently looking to upgrade/update the house PC, this was originally bought in 2013, but I have bought parts for this through the years (new cooler, PSU, GPU) but the rest now needs changing. At this point, it will be like building a  new system.

This is where I need advice.

The parts I currently have that I don't believe really need changing are as follow:

GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X

PSU: Corsair 750i

Everything else is needed. This will be mainly a home PC for family, but I would also like the ability to game on it also. But also not to break the bank with this one, so I've tried to find reasonably priced parts. Around £450 is the budget on this.

The parts I have already selected are as follow:

RAM: Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz

CPU: i5-9600KF 3.7Ghz (Coffee Lake)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360 HD3

SSD: Green 3D NAND 120GB M.2 2280 SSD

HDD: 1TB Barracuda

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

Total: £412.90

I'm not that much of a computer person, and I've not kept up with recent products, so any advice or changes any of you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Like I said at this point it's basically building a new system with a couple parts I already have to work around. So any advice or ideas of parts that fit into my budget, that are better or more well suited would be a big help.

Thank you!

You'd be much better off going with AMD. And you'd be able to get a way cheaper system if you went that route too.

Make sure the 1600 has AF in the product code.

If you can afford it, get a 3600 instead of the 1600

Might opt for an even larger SSD too. Or even fully SSD with no HDD

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

You'd be much better off going with AMD. And you'd be able to get a way cheaper system if you went that route too.

It would be better to go Ryzen 

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

2 hours ago, Shrekpad said:

It would be better to go Ryzen 

Not only for the price, quality/price ratio I would say. Those releases this year that just happened surprised us all...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

5 hours ago, AcrobaticMoose said:

Hello, I am currently looking to upgrade/update the house PC, this was originally bought in 2013, but I have bought parts for this through the years (new cooler, PSU, GPU) but the rest now needs changing. At this point, it will be like building a  new system.

This is where I need advice.

The parts I currently have that I don't believe really need changing are as follow:

GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X

PSU: Corsair 750i

Everything else is needed. This will be mainly a home PC for family, but I would also like the ability to game on it also. But also not to break the bank with this one, so I've tried to find reasonably priced parts. Around £450 is the budget on this.

The parts I have already selected are as follow:

RAM: Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz

CPU: i5-9600KF 3.7Ghz (Coffee Lake)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360 HD3

SSD: Green 3D NAND 120GB M.2 2280 SSD

HDD: 1TB Barracuda

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

Total: £412.90

I'm not that much of a computer person, and I've not kept up with recent products, so any advice or changes any of you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Like I said at this point it's basically building a new system with a couple parts I already have to work around. So any advice or ideas of parts that fit into my budget, that are better or more well suited would be a big help.

Thank you!

Ok thank you for the details, you have provided some key information that will assist people here to help you out. 

I can see for a budget family computer with the components you already have like the GTX1070 & 750W PSU are good. this will be a good start. 

i would suggest because you need an all-round half decent PC on a budget, go for an AMD CPU, B450 m/board and 16gig 3200mhz Ram is pretty standard now. 

for storage i suggest a 250GB nvme M.2 drive for windows and because your on budget and have a family a 1TB Seagate SSHD (solid state hybrid drive) as it has the reasonable storage space, and built in nand flash memory so a little faster than the bog standard HDD. 

finally i think for family and go for a B450 chipset m/board why not go M-ATX, who wants a great big ugly case, its 2020 and you can build a nice system in M-ATX. 

its very difficult to stretch the budget without going over a little.  you can always remove or choose different CPU cooler, not sure if one comes with the Ryzen? 

so much choice on cases etc, the one i picked one that was less cost than one i would think would be very nice (Corsair Crystal 280X) 

anyway here is a start. and i can already sense people will judge me on the m/board, yes its not cheap but i can see in the history of your builds you make them last, so good thing is to get good m/board that has good features, will last a long time and is tough.  only thing it don't have onboard Wi-Fi (such a shame) but there is a spare Pci slot for a Wi-Fi card or just use a dongle. 

Reading the info its good idea to update the Bios on the m/board before installing the Gen 3 Ryzen CPU. 

If cooler not fit or you don't like, no problem so many out there. 

hope this helps you out. sorry its not to budget, i find it had to cut down on the quality anymore.  (i just have expensive taste and an eye for quality) 

Component   Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax   Price Where    
CPU   c7baf2c9c9cc15ae23adb24c2f4316fc.256p.jpg AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Base
£147.59
Promo
Shipping
£1.99
Tax

Price
£149.58
Where
logo2_merchant_ariacouk.png
Buy Configure Remove  
CPU Cooler   2a9e652ec88e8299ccbd6eb8ff2383b4.256p.jpg Silverstone AR08-V2 49.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Base
£26.99
Promo
Shipping
£4.69
Tax

Price
£31.68
Where
logo2_merchant_overclockerscouk2.png
Buy Configure Remove  
Motherboard   bc40b4ffd4af9722d780e04aa9468fe3.256p.jpg Asus TUF B450M-PRO GAMING Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Base
£98.99
Promo
Shipping
£3.49
Tax

Price
£102.48
Where
logo2_merchant_ebuyer.png
Buy Configure Remove  
Memory   b880042150d9c941a0528e7c244af4e6.256p.jpg Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Base
£79.99
Promo
Shipping
£10.44
Tax

Price
£90.43
Where
Buy Configure Remove  
    Add Additional Memory
Storage   e9362cccc0ad525220786d7789aa9a7e.256p.jpg Seagate FireCuda 1 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Base
£47.99
Promo
Shipping
amazon-prime.png
Tax

Price
£47.99
Where
logo2_merchant_amazonuk.png
Buy Configure Remove  
Storage   12c27601c4b625c12b53b3ed4f3dd43a.256p.jpg Team MP34 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Base
£49.99
Promo
Shipping
£4.69
Tax

Price
£54.68
Where
Buy Configure Remove  
    Add Additional Storage
Video Card   Choose A Video Card
Case   8ba36126275f74c0460943476a5acd66.256p.jpg Silverstone Precision PS15 RGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Base
£59.99
Promo
Shipping
amazon-prime.png
Tax

Price
£59.99
Where
logo2_merchant_amazonuk.png
Buy Configure Remove  
Power Supply   Choose A Power Supply
Optical Drive   Choose An Optical Drive
Operating System   Choose An Operating System
Software   Choose Software
Wireless Network Adapter   41QCuVm6ggL.jpg Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Base
£34.99
Promo
Shipping
£1.99
Tax

Price
£36.98
Where
logo2_merchant_ariacouk.png
Buy Configure Remove  
    Add Another Wireless Network Adapter