Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sprada

Power up mouse and keyboard collection without PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there,

So over the years I have collected quite a big collection of mice and keyboards. I was now thinking about putting those up for a display on a shelf, instead of just having them hidden in a drawer.

As many of the devices have RGB, I thought it might be cool to have those lights on as well.

But how would have all those lights on without connecting the cables to a computer? The power would need to come from a wall socket, but without breaking the devices.

I have an USB-hub with external power supply, but at least that one doesn't light up the devices unless I have it connected to PC, which also needs to be on.

Is this even possible? Or do I really need a PC to power up those glorious rainbow colors?

You can plug them into a wall USB adaptor like a phone charger, only thing is obviously, you can't control the RGB, do if you want it a certain colour or pattern then I'd recommend setting it on a laptop before you put it on display

Edit: it would appear that i'm wrong, I just tried it, and no light. Maybe you should buy a cheap old computer to use as a hub

Main Rig: Custom Built: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G @ 3.6Ghz, 2x8GB Kingston Valueram @ 2666Mhz, Radeon Vega 8, Gigabyte A320M-S2H, Kingston 120Gb M.2 SSD,WD Blue 2.5 Inch 1tb HDD,Cooler Master MWE450, Aerocool CS-100

Laptop: HP ProBook X360 G1 EE: Pentium N4200 @ 1.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 128Gb SSD
NAS Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010: Dual core Celeron G1610 @ 2.6Ghz 4GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB Single HDD

Mothballed Optiplex: Dual core Celeron G1810, 4Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD

Posted · Original PosterOP

Oddly enough my Glorious Model O mouse did light up when connected to the USB-hub, without the hub being connected to PC.

But Xtrfy M4 did not, which doesn't even have software to control the RGB as it is completely driverless mouse.

I'm not really concerned about controlling the RGB settings, as all of the mice I have has the setting I want as default anyways.

I was also thinking about trying if the lights work with a wall USB adaptor, but I decided not to even try if the mouse breaks from that.

Maybe I need to invest in Raspberry Pi or some other SFFPC at somepoint then. I was just hoping to find a cheaper solution.