ASUSTOR AS1004T for ease of use NAS

G00fySmiley

I am looking to finally have an active backup. currently abotu once a quarter I backup my machines the old fashioned way. hook up a hard drive via usb3 and clone my main drives for machines. along with folders from hard drives liek photo backups. I am thinking about getting a little NAS to backup machines in the event of a loss of a machine or drive. I know very little on the NAS front, more of just an individual machine builder so I am not to big to admit when I am out of my depth. current plan is an ASUSTOR AS1004T and throw 2 6TB drives in for now and maybe a few more if needed later (liking the idea of later making it a raid 5 setup but for now this seems like a good use.  I am trying to keep the solution below $1k and am currently well below that but I am prioritizing ease of setup and me not having to intervene over other features. 

I will be backing up 3 machines to it and maybe interested in cloud access to some storage when away from the house but that is about it.  

Any advice on if this is a good solution or a better solution would be appreciated. 

I am unsure if it helps or matters but my networks is all through an ASUS AC66U Router 2 computers hard lined, 1 wifi 

Id be tempted to go synology for the better software.

Have you looking at shucking 8tb drives? Should be cheaper than 6tb drives.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id be tempted to go synology for the better software.

Have you looking at shucking 8tb drives? Should be cheaper than 6tb drives.

any suggestions on a model number for synologoy? as to shucking open to it but want enterprise drives so unsure if that would something i would find in external drives. currently running all WD gold drives in my machines for the spinning rust. 

2 minutes ago, G00fySmiley said:

any suggestions on a model number for synologoy? as to shucking open to it but want enterprise drives so unsure if that would something i would find in external drives. currently running all WD gold drives in my machines for the spinning rust. 

ds420j is a good cheap model, works fine for backup uses.

Why do you want enterprise drives? Desktop drives will work fine in a nas, and the extra money isn't worth it normally. Normally the wd 8tb externals seems to have nas grade drives.

will look at the model. enterprise is mostly a not wanting drive failure and really the budget is more self imposed here money really isn't much of an issue i just care more about longevity for data

1 hour ago, G00fySmiley said:

will look at the model. enterprise is mostly a not wanting drive failure and really the budget is more self imposed here money really isn't much of an issue i just care more about longevity for data

raid is there to deal with the drive failures, and also enterprise drives aren't really more reliable than normal drive.