AMD Driver Problem or Something Else?

daviden

Ever since I've put in my new RX5700XT I've had issues with my display drivers crashing. I will be doing anything from playing a game to just browsing YouTube and both of my monitors lose signal simultaneously while the computer runs in the background. I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the monitors, I've also tried plugging straight into the motherboard just so I can get a signal, but there's still nothing. For this reason and that sometimes the programs in the background also sometimes crash too, I'm not sure if this is a driver problem with many symptoms, or a problem with something else.

I was having these same exact problems recently with my new build (Using the 5700 XT). My monitors kept turning off every 5 minutes (And not turning back on), and my games would keep crashing when I opened them. For my situation, I found that the GPU wasn't necessarily the problem. My problem was the motherboard being outdated for my processor (Ryzen 3600). I used multiple different B450 motherboards, and I would keep having the same issue. The flickering and crashing finally stopped when I tried a newer X570 mobo. For you, I would maybe try to update your Motherboard BIOS and just see if that does anything. Your motherboard still obviously has an affect on how your GPU functions, maybe updating will fix something.

3 minutes ago, BHuff04 said:

I was having these same exact problems recently with my new build (Using the 5700 XT). My monitors kept turning off every 5 minutes (And not turning back on), and my games would keep crashing when I opened them. For my situation, I found that the GPU wasn't necessarily the problem. My problem was the motherboard being outdated for my processor (Ryzen 3600). I used multiple different B450 motherboards, and I would keep having the same issue. The flickering and crashing finally stopped when I tried a newer X570 mobo. For you, I would maybe try to update your Motherboard BIOS and just see if that does anything. Your motherboard still obviously has an affect on how your GPU functions, maybe updating will fix something.

I agree that's probably worth a try, but I've heard that sometimes updating the bios can cause new problems if you're not careful. Are there any precautions I should take before diving into that?

6 minutes ago, daviden said:

I agree that's probably worth a try, but I've heard that sometimes updating the bios can cause new problems if you're not careful. Are there any precautions I should take before diving into that?

What MOBO are you using?

1 minute ago, Tomthehitman said:

What BIOS version are you running?

The 5700XT is well documented to have black screen issues that are "hopefully" being resolved.

Version F21

1 minute ago, daviden said:

Version F21

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H110M-A-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

The latest versions of Bios updates only seem to be for security vulnerability and CPU.

Do you have to do a hard reset when the screens go black, have you tried pressing (Windows key + CTRL + SHIFT + B) this resets the display driver?

Just now, Tomthehitman said:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H110M-A-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

The latest versions of Bios updates only seem to be for security vulnerability and CPU.

Do you have to do a hard reset when the screens go black, have you tried pressing (Windows key + CTRL + SHIFT + B) this resets the display driver?

I have always hard reset, I'll try doing that the next time it happens. Do you think these issues are something I can expect to be patched or should I take advantage of my Amazon refund and pick up something else?

1 minute ago, daviden said:

I have always hard reset, I'll try doing that the next time it happens. Do you think these issues are something I can expect to be patched or should I take advantage of my Amazon refund and pick up something else?

I mean I also have the 5700XT and have experienced issues with it, I have decided to hold out and hope that they get drivers out that fix the ongoing issues.

How are you plugging your monitors in DP or HDMI? AMD also recommend to turn off any hardware acceleration (Web browser, Discord ect)

You can read the known issues here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

3 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

I mean I also have the 5700XT and have experienced issues with it, I have decided to hold out and hope that they get drivers out that fix the ongoing issues.

How are you plugging your monitors in DP or HDMI? AMD also recommend to turn off any hardware acceleration (Web browser, Discord ect)

You can read the known issues here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

I have my main display off of DP and my secondary on HDMI. I turned hardware acceleration off on Discord, but I don't know of anything else that has it. I can look in my browser settings to see if I can find it.

Edit: Just disabled hardware acceleration in my browser

Turn off hardware acceleration in Steam as well, it use Chromium browser. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Turn off hardware acceleration in Steam as well, it use Chromium browser. 

Oh like the in-game interface? Thanks I just turned it off now.

2 minutes ago, daviden said:

Oh like the in-game interface? Thanks I just turned it off now.

Yes, the interface gonna be sluggish though after you turn it off but the black screen issue can be related to Chromium so better disable it till the fix is  out. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

Yes, the interface gonna be sluggish though after you turn it off but the black screen issue can be related to Chromium so better disable it till the fix is  out. 

Thanks!

On 2/16/2020 at 5:37 AM, Tomthehitman said:

@daviden Did it help at all?

Oh shoot, I didn't see this until now. So for so good though. I haven't had any problems since, so it think the hardware acceleration was probably the main issue.