Bottleneck and solutions ?

Drakenthagod

Hey how’s it going guys. So are used to be a PC gamer about three years ago but my PC broke and I just didn’t have the money for a while. Recently I seen someone selling their rig on Facebook marketplace. It was only 420 and it was a great deal.

It comes with:

Amd FX 6200

16GB Corsair DDR3

MSI GTX 1060 3GB

240 GB SSD 

Western Digital Black 1TB

630W 80+ 

I feel like I could get better performance out of it but I think I’m being bottlenecked. In most games getting from 40 to 60 frames some drops to 30s. Is there any recommendations I can do to get more performance.

4 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

I feel like I could get better performance out of it but I think I’m being bottlenecked. In most games getting from 40 to 60 frames some drops to 30s. Is there any recommendations I can do to get more performance

What games, and what resolution?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What games, and what resolution?

1080p for all. Dota, ESO and Rust so far As I have to buy more games and then The download as I just got it last night

1080p for all. Dota, ESO and Rust so far As I have to buy more games and then The download as I just got it last night

Dota shouldn't be suffering on that hardware but eso, and rust especially, are probably having a hard time with that CPU. Unfortunately you don't really have an upgrade path to anything modern without getting a new motherboard. If you currently have a decent motherboard the only route for immediate performance increase is an overclock.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Dota shouldn't be suffering on that hardware but eso, and rust especially, are probably having a hard time with that CPU. Unfortunately you don't really have an upgrade path to anything modern without getting a new motherboard. If you currently have a decent motherboard the only route for immediate performance increase is an overclock.

That /\.

Or maybe buy a used 8300(or 8350, or any variaton)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

28 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

How could I tell if the motherboard is decent ? And how would I go about overclocking and knowing if it’s safe 

14 minutes ago, Taja said:

That /\.

Or maybe buy a used 8300(or 8350, or any variaton)

what would be the better bet between upgrading the motherboard and then a new CPU or just getting the 8350. For money/performance ratio like the best bang for buck per say

How could I tell if the motherboard is decent ? And how would I go about overclocking and knowing if it’s safe 

What model is it?

Overclock tutorials are very plentiful for old FX processors

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

what would be the better bet between upgrading the motherboard and then a new CPU or just getting the 8350. For money/performance ratio like the best bang for buck per say

I couldnt say... I think you could get a used 83xx for VERY cheap, so for me thats good value, since if you change the processor for a modern one you have to get a new mobo, new ram...

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

32 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What model is it?

Overclock tutorials are very plentiful for old FX processors

Gigabyte 970 I believe 

27 minutes ago, Taja said:

I couldnt say... I think you could get a used 83xx for VERY cheap, so for me thats good value, since if you change the processor for a modern one you have to get a new mobo, new ram...

Yeah I’ve seen them for like 100 and some new but I’m gonna try to see if I can find used ones to see if it’s any cheaper where would be a good place to look 

That CPU has lower performance than AMD Phenoms released about 12 years ago. Going with a 8xxx isn't going to help, the abysmal IPC performance is what will hold you back in any modern title.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20