Xbox game pass and save files

Zelenia
Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,

Nope. You cant get access to the game files you downloaded from MS Store/XBox Game Pass. This is MS DRM so you as the user cannot get access to the files.

Hello,

I got Xbox Game Pass code to play lots of games free for 3 months and I've enjoyed that service a lot personally. It has given me opportunity to try games before buying them from Steam.

However, I think the service isn't very popular currently because they are basically giving these codes for free (3 months beta access is like 1€). I got a bad feeling that this service won't live long on PC at least because how the service works: When you download a game to your PC you can't edit nor mod it because Windows hides the files from you even if you got administrator's rights. I did try to give myself permission to see the file location but no luck so far. Microsoft sure makes it looks like your personal PC and hardware isn't yours anymore. 

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has found out any way I could trick Windows to let me see the game files in order to have a backup from save files (and move them to Steam once I've bought the title). :) 

Thanks in advance!

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

Nope. You cant get access to the game files you downloaded from MS Store/XBox Game Pass. This is MS DRM so you as the user cannot get access to the files.

18 minutes ago, Zelenia said:

to let me see the game files in order to have a backup from save files

Most games store their saves in the standard location in your My Documents - folder. Look there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Oh, I forgot:

22 minutes ago, Zelenia said:

(and move them to Steam once I've bought the title)

Any game that stores its saves in My Documents will pick them up from there automatically. There's nothing you have to do about them; just buy the game on Steam, launch it and POOF -- it'll find the saves.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.