Recommend me an SSD?

Windows95

I asked what would you change from the setup im going to buy here:

CPU: 3950x

MOBO: Aorus Pro no-wifi

RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

PSU: Corsair RM750X V2 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6

SSD: WD Blue 3D Nand SSD M.2 2TB SATA3 + WD Blue 3D Nand SSD SATA 2TB (for data storage etc)

CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Case: Fraktal Define R6

And this user, made some remarks on the choice of my SSD

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ok.  That may not be a preferable SSD.  It’s b&m key.  There is NVME which is four lanes of pcie4 (very very fast) and there is sata3 (really kinda slow these days) the issue is whether the drive is merely CAPABLE of doing both (in which case you just ignore the sata 3 bit and put it in an m key slot) or whether it ONLY does sata3.  I at one time specced this thing on a build and got my butt chewed on because someone though it only did sata3.  It needs to be checked.  Sata3 is half the speed of sata6 which is less than half the speed of nvme.  If it WILL do full nvme then the read and write speed of the drive is the limiting factor rather than the port.  If it only does sata3 though it’s a dirt slow drive.  It may still be slow.  If it does nvme then the nvme read/write speed needs to be checked.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I took a quick shower and thought about how to better describe what I was saying:  it’s either a fast drive with a lot of backward compatibility you won’t be using, handy but not needed, OR it’s an old slow drive with a lot of forward compatibility you don’t want.

As for what to check, it would be the speed of the drive when using NAND, compared to other drives that are m key only.  IF the sata3 bit locks it to sata3 speeds it’s really slow.

The don-wanna-think-aboudit solution is to just buy a more expensive drive that doesn’t have b key which you won’t be using anyway.  There might or might not be a bit of a deal there.  I don’t know.

basically if it won’t go faster than sata3 it’s half the speed of a sata6 2.5” ssd.  You can get more speed for less money elsewhere. The deal with the speed thing is for gaming sata6 is effectively as fast as nvme as far as human time scales are concernened because instant is instant.  It only matters for huge files.  Sata3 is not sata6 though.

Im really confused now. I originally wante the 970 evo plus, but I was told in real life cases, its not really worth it in most of the usage I would do. I do music production, and edit videos in sony vegas. I was told its not really worth how expensive those are plus they get very hot on the temps during usage, and I was told those cheap nvme WD blue ones would do just fine. But now this guy made me consider alternatives. Any comments etc?

42 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

I asked what would you change from the setup im going to buy here:

CPU: 3950x

MOBO: Aorus Pro no-wifi

RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

PSU: Corsair RM750X V2 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6

SSD: WD Blue 3D Nand SSD M.2 2TB SATA3 + WD Blue 3D Nand SSD SATA 2TB (for data storage etc)

CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

Case: Fraktal Define R6

And this user, made some remarks on the choice of my SSD

Im really confused now. I originally wante the 970 evo plus, but I was told in real life cases, its not really worth it in most of the usage I would do. I do music production, and edit videos in sony vegas. I was told its not really worth how expensive those are plus they get very hot on the temps during usage, and I was told those cheap nvme WD blue ones would do just fine. But now this guy made me consider alternatives. Any comments etc?

The evod do get hot.  They may be faster than you have any use for if the files you make are small.  Really really high speed only matters for big big files, because an eyeblink  is still an eyeblink.

This is an IF situation.  An “I’m not sure, but it’s possible that..” situation.

IF very specifically that particular WD blue IS nvme, and runs on the nvme standard it’s going to be fast enough.

BUT there is an issue.

It’s ALSO got sata3.  Not even 6, but 3.  SATA3 is really old, and pretty slow.  Half the speed of a sata6 SSD.  It might possibly be almost the only thing that exists you could buy outside of a mechanical hard drive that would be that slow.

The easy way out? Pick ANY OTHER m.2 drive that is m.2 nvme only.  Anything at all.  Even the WD blue might work too.  It is possible to check.  If you really want to buy the WD Blue, it would be worth checking.  It might after all be fine.  I just don’t know.  For ONLY that drive  BECAUSE it has 2 kinds of connections, one of which is really slow.  It very well might be the sata3 connection DOES NOT slow down the nvme connection, in which case everything is fine.

You want a random example? Here’s one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJF48d/mushkin-enhanced-helix-l-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mknssdhl1tb-d8

look at the pic.  Notice how there’s only ONE slot in the connector?  That’s m key.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The evod do get hot.  They may be faster than you have any use for if the files you make are small.  Really really high speed only matters for big big files, because an eyeblink  is still an eyeblink.

This is an IF situation.  An “I’m not sure, but it’s possible that..” situation.

IF very specifically that particular WD blue IS nvme, and runs on the nvme standard it’s going to be fast enough.

BUT there is an issue.

It’s ALSO got sata3.  Not even 6, but 3.  SATA3 is really old, and pretty slow.  Half the speed of a sata6 SSD.  It might possibly be almost the only thing that exists you could buy outside of a mechanical hard drive that would be that slow.

The easy way out? Pick ANY OTHER m.2 drive that is m.2 nvme only.  Anything at all.  Even the WD blue might work too.  It is possible to check.  If you really want to buy the WD Blue, it would be worth checking.  It might after all be fine.  I just don’t know.  For ONLY that drive  BECAUSE it has 2 kinds of connections, one of which is really slow.  It very well might be the sata3 connection DOES NOT slow down the nvme connection, in which case everything is fine.

You want a random example? Here’s one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJF48d/mushkin-enhanced-helix-l-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mknssdhl1tb-d8

look at the pic.  Notice how there’s only ONE slot in the connector?  That’s m key.

I see. I wouldn't mind spending an extra 100 or 200 bucks for a top of the line SSD, however, the problem I have is that im scared because of high temperatures. For instance this guy reports problems:

Hi Guys - as far as I am concerned the Samsung 970 EVO and 970 EVO Plus 500 GB both suck (I only require a 500 GB SSD) and appear to suffer from the same problem (failure to high temperatures???) I purchased the 970 EVO NVMe SSD in Dec 2018 and used it as my OS SSD (Win 10) in my MSI GT72 6QD Dominator Laptop with 32 GB RAM and all was great for around 3 months then suddenly it died - it totally lost the boot sector(??) and could not be accessed. Windows USB Recovery method could not fix the problem and after an essentially protracted time delay in first contacting Samsung, sending it back to them I was eventually reimbursed. Before I settled on purchasing this SSD in late 2018 I heard a few rumblings on YouTube saying that this SSD suffered from excessive heating and temperatures of around 100C+/- were variously quoted! Unfortunately, I could not track down any concrete evidence to support these adverse comments and because this SSD had really great specs and was being touted as the best since sliced bread by Samsung and retail sellers, I purchased it. Given my first experience Samsung and sellers I spoke to then recommended the 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe SSD so I then purchased this SSD and once again it was a truly fast SSD - that is for about 3-4 months when it too suddenly died - also of the identical fault - lost boot ability!! Partitioning Software showed the identical fault that the original 970 EVO SSD died from - No boot partition!!! I cannot say one way or the other if these failures were high temperature related but all I can say is that two different but related Samsung NVMe SSD's failing from identical symptoms is too much of a coincidence (IMO) for there not to be some type of generic fault? Consequently, I will never purchase another Samsung drive of any type as long as my proverbial keeps pointing to the ground! The retailer I purchased this second SSD from was truly excellent and resolved this issue in one week - Samsung take a leaf out of this retailer's book!!! So now Take Three - this time because of the very good service I had received I then purchased the WD Black SN750 with Heat Sink from the same retailer I purchased the 970 EVO Plue NVMe from but haven't installed it yet as I am digesting everything that WD says about how this particular NVMe SSD should be installed - and there is a great deal of literature on this and related questions for installing this SSD - not sure why this particular SSD appears (at least on the surface) to warrant such "different" instructions from other NVme SSD's? I will let you know in time what I think about this WD Black NVMe SSD so hopefully, as they say, "third time lucky"! Cheers from Down Under

So I would be concerned with those super fast new SSDs having problems trying to stay cool... whats the point of that extra performance if it can't be kept reasonably cool? Im also concerned this heat is spread across the MOBO thus enabling those annoying small fans on the x570 boards (from what i've read, most of the time those are not even moving, but then again most people don't have 970 Evo Plus)

The best ones they have on the shop I will buy the stuff:

https://www.pccomponentes.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-2tb-ssd-nvme-m2

https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-force-series-gen4-mp600-nvme-m2-2tb-ssd

https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-aorus-nvme-gen4-ssd-2tb-m2-3d-tlc

https://www.pccomponentes.com/kingston-kc2000-2tb-ssd-m2-nvme-pcie

https://www.pccomponentes.com/wd-black-sn750-nvme-2tb-ssd-m2-pci-express-30

https://www.pccomponentes.com/wd-black-sn750-nvme-2tb-ssd-m2-pci-express-30-con-disipador-termico

How do you rate that WD Black sn750 one? theres two versions, one comes with a heatsink for an extra 100€... is a heatsink making a difference here? this is what they say:

yaHS4m87CoY8M4ZJQBrbxG-970-80.jpg

This guy says not the whole nvme benefits from cooling:

Its a bit of an headache. I dont know what to do at this point. I've seen some people complain about 970 Evo, so im scared it will fail due heating or something. The disk is important, I dont want to lose my data, even if you do backups, you expect something solid for near 500€

It won’t fail because it gets warm.  Things that are fast get hot.

That the WD Blue does not get hot implies to me it may be slow.

Look at the read write speeds of the drive, and make sure that the port they use does not bottle neck it.  Gaming doesn’t need Nvme speeds at all because sata6 is fast enough that files the size games use are effectively instant, and on a human scale instant is as fast as things get even when it isn’t.  

My personal move would be to not get nvme at all until I know I need some.  They’re easy to install later if needed.  I would Get the cheapest cost/gb sata6 2.5” drive that has cache I could find Ignoring brand entirely, make sure it was big enough to use as a storage drive if it turns out I wind up needing nvme later (might happen) and waiting to see how fast the console storage is going to turn out to be.  It’s real possible nvme won’t be needed even then.  Or it might turn out I might need to raid0 a pair of sabient rockets  just to keep up.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It won’t fail because it gets warm.  Things that are fast get hot.

That the WD Blue does not get hot implies to me it may be slow.

Look at the read write speeds of the drive, and make sure that the port they use does not bottle neck it.  Gaming doesn’t need Nvme speeds at all because sata6 is fast enough that files the size games use are effectively instant, and on a human scale instant is as fast as things get even when it isn’t.  

My personal move would be to not get nvme at all until I know I need some.  They’re easy to install later if needed.  I would Get the cheapest cost/gb sata6 2.5” drive that has cache I could find Ignoring brand entirely, make sure it was big enough to use as a storage drive if it turns out I wind up needing nvme later (might happen) and waiting to see how fast the console storage is going to turn out to be.  It’s real possible nvme won’t be needed even then.  Or it might turn out I might need to raid0 a pair of sabient rockets  just to keep up.

https://www.pccomponentes.com/wd-blue-3d-nand-ssd-m2-2tb-sata3

this one is cheaper than this

https://www.pccomponentes.com/wd-blue-3d-nand-ssd-sata-2tb

Will you please stop confusing me with sata3 vs sata6 when it is sata 3G vs sata 6G, though in fact sata2 vs sata3?

On topic:

If in doubt go for the safe bet. Since there's the wd blue as sata ssd you might consider taking this for the system and use a different m2.nvme, for example the evo, when fast throughput is needed.

12 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Will you please stop confusing me with sata3 vs sata6 when it is sata 3G vs sata 6G, though in fact sata2 vs sata3?

On topic:

If in doubt go for the safe bet. Since there's the wd blue as sata ssd you might consider taking this for the system and use a different m2.nvme, for example the evo, when fast throughput is needed.

but are high end 970 evo, wd black... type of drives safe? they seem to get very hot

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

but are high end 970 evo, wd black... type of drives safe? they seem to get very hot

LTT did a thing iirc on stuff like watercooling nvme m.2 drives with very large heat sinks.  My memory was the verdict was it didn’t matter much because while they did get hot it was in flashes which is why they just had heat sinks.   If they come with a big heat sink they might very well NEED that big heat sink.