Crucial X8 not being recognized! Help

nyichiban

The problem is I got a new Crucial X8 and my desktop won't read it. It works fine in my razer laptop but not on my desktop. Granted the laptop has Thunderbolt 3 but still. My PC specs are:

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Mobo: MSI X570 MEG ACE

CPU: 3950X

Ram: 64gb G.Skill (4x16GB)

GPU: Aorus 1080ti Xtreme

HDD: 4TB RED, 4TB HGST NAS

SSD: 2TB Micron SSD, 1TB Corsair MP600, 2tb Corsair MP 600

So for whatever reason it failes to work on the USB C Port and thought it was my ports but my samsung T5 drives read just fine. Mobo USB settings are XHCI disabled and USB Legacy on auto. Any ideas? TIA!!!

I have trouble getting my 10 Gbps USB drives working on my X570 (Aorus Master) too. Yet another fun thing of being an early adopter I guess, they work fine on my Z170. The X8 uses the ASMedia ASM2362 bridge chip which shouldn't have any issues - unfortunately I don't think the X8 has an LED indicator for power so it's tough to tell if it's getting enough power through the port (which seems to be my issue). Does it work with the USB-A adapter?

On 2/9/2020 at 5:36 AM, NewMaxx said:

I have trouble getting my 10 Gbps USB drives working on my X570 (Aorus Master) too. Yet another fun thing of being an early adopter I guess, they work fine on my Z170. The X8 uses the ASMedia ASM2362 bridge chip which shouldn't have any issues - unfortunately I don't think the X8 has an LED indicator for power so it's tough to tell if it's getting enough power through the port (which seems to be my issue). Does it work with the USB-A adapter?

Nope doesn't work with the adapter either.

Tested it on my work system and it's fine. Read from the front panel (corsair 250D) no issues and this is an older board Asrock z370m-itx/ac. Wondering if it's my motherboard that hates it or maybe I need to install some drivers but couldn't find any on the msi site for USB drivers for that particular board.

Well, to clarify, it doesn't work with my 10 Gbps USB-A port either, I meant in a 5 Gbps port (where it does work). Again does seem like early adopter nonsense since it works perfectly in my older systems.

3 hours ago, NewMaxx said:

Well, to clarify, it doesn't work with my 10 Gbps USB-A port either, I meant in a 5 Gbps port (where it does work). Again does seem like early adopter nonsense since it works perfectly in my older systems.

Funny thing is you need to use it in a USB 3.2 port to get the full speeds of the drive. 

4 minutes ago, nyichiban said:

Funny thing is you need to use it in a USB 3.2 port to get the full speeds of the drive. 

USB3.2 Gen1x2 actually, 5 Gbps is now USB3.2 Gen1x1. Not to be mistaken with USB3.2 Gen2x1 which the bridge chip the X8 uses doesn't support. That's my point though - it seems to have issues at 10 Gbps on X570.

37 minutes ago, NewMaxx said:

USB3.2 Gen1x2 actually, 5 Gbps is now USB3.2 Gen1x1. Not to be mistaken with USB3.2 Gen2x1 which the bridge chip the X8 uses doesn't support. That's my point though - it seems to have issues at 10 Gbps on X570.

Well it doesn't work on either Gen1 or Gen2 USB 3.2 ports for my motherboard. 

3 hours ago, nyichiban said:

Well it doesn't work on either Gen1 or Gen2 USB 3.2 ports for my motherboard. 

Thanks, yeah, not sure what's up. It's wonky even on some of my Gen1 ports though. So maybe X570 issue.

1 hour ago, NewMaxx said:

Thanks, yeah, not sure what's up. It's wonky even on some of my Gen1 ports though. So maybe X570 issue.

Well MSI sent me a beta BIOS to test out. The back panel USB C port is now working! Did a test and 1026R/944W which is better than not being able to be read but slower than my Razer laptop using the Thunderbolt 3 port. Now just gotta see if my 128gb kit of 4x32gb ram will post! 

New beta BIOS also reads the 128gb of memory! RGB everywhere now!

• 2 months later...

Thought I would update this. I updated the BIOS to what they have on their website which was v18 and RGB control was gone through Dragon Center. Then I was sent the latest beta BIOS v192 and still nothing but the Crucial x8 works just fine now! At least we know that it was a simple BIOS fix on their end to get this drive working!

• 1 year later...

I was wondering what you do in your BIOs to fix the Crucial x8 not loading/working over the USBC port? I bought 2 of these SSDs and they both started out working fine on USBC, until I started to download larger files. During the download of the large games I would get a scan and repair icon and then the drive cant be read over the USBC port. The drive then continues to act like I'm plunging it in and unplugging it nonstop. Just like you the computer reads it fine when connected to the USBA port but I want the faster USBC port. Also, I've tried to fully reset my PC, clean, wipe, reformat, and refresh the drive but no luck. After, it crashes the first time the SSD is then unusable completely on USBC but can be used on USBA. Any help would be great, thank you.