0.79Ghz Stuck zzzzz...

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

The person who claimed that worked had a 7577.  It does not hurt to try.  Open up the device manager, disable your Nvidia GPU and then do a sleep resume cycle and see if this works.  Sometimes just a sleep resume cycle all by itself is enough to get around these throttling issues.

Hey so I've had my gaming laptop for awhile, and every time I take out the charger, my cpu drops to 0.79ghz instantly and won't go above that. My laptop is a Dell G7 7588. Its equipped with a intel I7-8750H and has a GTX 1060 Max Q, along with 8gb ram. Dell support is useless and I haven't really been able to find any solutions. 

Does the laptop go into a battery saving mode when it's unplugged?

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

That's the normal behavior of a modern laptop. Check the power settings and switch to high performance.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

In your Windows power plan check that Maximum Processor State isn't set below 100%.  And check the applicable profile that would be active when the laptop isn't plugged in.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

45 minutes ago, rares495 said:

That's the normal behavior of a modern laptop. Check the power settings and switch to high performance.

How is it normal??? I can barely watch videos and everything is slow af. Whats the point of a laptop if you have to plug it in at all times. And why would it be capped at 0.79? Is there a way I can raise this to atleast 2ghz?

48 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

Does the laptop go into a battery saving mode when it's unplugged?

no, I have it go to maximum performance.

23 minutes ago, nick name said:

In your Windows power plan check that Maximum Processor State isn't set below 100%.  And check the applicable profile that would be active when the laptop isn't plugged in.  

yep its at 100% when its on battery, still lags way too much and won't go above 0.79.

Try using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. This is the typical throttling method that Dell uses.

If this does not fix things, open up the Limit Reasons window and use the built in TS Bench to put a load on your CPU. A 1 Thread load is good enough. Post some screenshots so I can help you out.

24 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Try using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. This is the typical throttling method that Dell uses.

If this does not fix things, open up the Limit Reasons window and use the built in TS Bench to put a load on your CPU. A 1 Thread load is good enough. Post some screenshots so I can help you out.

So during the 1 thread it did go up to like 1.2ghz but when I did it on 12 threads it constantly stayed at 0.79ghz. My goal is for it to stay around 2ghz+ so everything isnt as laggy.

0.79.PNG

I had a similar behavior happen to my desktop, but it had to do with a motherboard BIOS auto overclocking setting. When I had this "auto overclocking" profile enabled my 7800X would down clock to 700 or 800mhz on all cores and get stuck there.

So it might be a good thing to try to go an reset your laptop BIOS to default to see if it helps. May or may not, but I hope it helps, good luck!

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup including one when your CPU is loaded. Open up Limit Reasons too so I can see if any throttling reasons are lighting up. No need to include Task Manager in your pics.

14 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup including one when your CPU is loaded. Open up Limit Reasons too so I can see if any throttling reasons are lighting up. No need to include Task Manager in your pics.

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.7b23ab9ebe488010bf0f729b2b3a8971.png

45 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

I had a similar behavior happen to my desktop, but it had to do with a motherboard BIOS auto overclocking setting. When I had this "auto overclocking" profile enabled my 7800X would down clock to 700 or 800mhz on all cores and get stuck there.

So it might be a good thing to try to go an reset your laptop BIOS to default to see if it helps. May or may not, but I hope it helps, good luck!

I've tried that already and it didn't work :( thank you for trying to help tho!

32 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Heres another pic with 1 thread TS Bench. the last one was 12 threads

Screenshot_2.png

What your screenshot is showing me is that when you switch to battery power, Dell is significantly reducing the rated turbo power limits which is forcing your CPU to run like a slug.  Intel's low power U series have a TDP rating of 15 Watts so Dell has decided to limit your 6 core CPU to the same 15 Watts.  Dumb stuff like this is why I stopped buying Dell laptops.

Anyway, the only possible fix is open up the TPL window and make sure your turbo power limits are set appropriately.  Next, open up the FIVR window and try using the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option.  This might be able to prevent the power limit switching method that Dell is using.  Most likely this is controlled by the EC so you are out of luck.  I would send it back to Dell and tell them it is useless to you because it cannot be used at any reasonable speed while on battery power.  

Does this laptop support the Dell power manager app? If yes there will be settings in there that alter the TDP.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I currently have similar problem with a particular Asus laptop and i need to update the BIOS to fix it, every single one of them zzzzzzzz. 

Try check if there is a BIOS update for your laptop that related to performance or power management fixes.

Also, unclewebb is here? 2

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Does this laptop support the Dell power manager app? If yes there will be settings in there that alter the TDP.

I do have the dell power manager app but I can't find the TDP settings. 

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

What your screenshot is showing me is that when you switch to battery power, Dell is significantly reducing the rated turbo power limits which is forcing your CPU to run like a slug.  Intel's low power U series have a TDP rating of 15 Watts so Dell has decided to limit your 6 core CPU to the same 15 Watts.  Dumb stuff like this is why I stopped buying Dell laptops.

Anyway, the only possible fix is open up the TPL window and make sure your turbo power limits are set appropriately.  Next, open up the FIVR window and try using the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option.  This might be able to prevent the power limit switching method that Dell is using.  Most likely this is controlled by the EC so you are out of luck.  I would send it back to Dell and tell them it is useless to you because it cannot be used at any reasonable speed while on battery power.  

here is my TPL and FIVR. Do I need to install the thing next to "disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" for it to work?

tpl.png

fivr.png

4 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I currently have similar problem with a particular Asus laptop and i need to update the BIOS to fix it, every single one of them zzzzzzzz. 

Try check if there is a BIOS update for your laptop that related to performance or power management fixes.

Also, unclewebb is here? 

I already did that 2 thank you for trying to help tho.

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Next, open up the FIVR window and try using the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option

Try following that advice.  Download and install the RwDrv.sys file from Mega.  Copy this file into your ThrottleStop folder and then select that option in the FIVR window.  The Install button in ThrottleStop explains how to setup this feature.

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

You should also use a -100 mV undervolt on the CPU core and CPU cache.

8 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Try following that advice.  Download and install the RwDrv.sys file from Mega.  Copy this file into your ThrottleStop folder and then select that option in the FIVR window.  The Install button in ThrottleStop explains how to setup this feature.

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

You should also use a -100 mV undervolt on the CPU core and CPU cache.

So I should change the Offset Voltage to -100mV? Also the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option didn't do anything :(

3 minutes ago, Sushil K said:

Also the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option didn't do anything

You installed the driver and checked that box and you are still limited to 15 Watts on battery power?  Dell is locking down their recent laptops so I guess you are out of luck.  The power limits controlled by the EC are in control of your CPU.

An offset voltage of -100 mV for the core and cache will help a little when plugged in.  It will do little when running on battery power because of the 15 Watt limitation. 

5 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

You installed the driver and checked that box and you are still limited to 15 Watts on battery power?  Dell is locking down their recent laptops so I guess you are out of luck.

An offset voltage of -100 mV for the core and cache will help a little when plugged in.  It will do little when running on battery power because of the 15 Watt limitation. 

I believe I did it correctly. Do you recommend anything else? I've only had this laptop for a little over a year.

lockturbo.png

This 15 Watt limitation has been around for a while.  Try a few different BIOS versions and maybe you will get lucky.

11 minutes ago, Sushil K said:

Do you recommend anything else?

Just setting the undervolt.  A -100 mV undervolt for the core and cache is a good place to start testing.