Black Screen

Nate132

My Alienware 15 r4 Laptop just displays a black screen when I turn it on. The Keys light up but nothing appears on the screen. Does anyone know what’s going on? (And especially how to fix it?)

Got a few generic questions which might help others diagnose it:

Were you doing anything particular when it stopped working?

do you have an external monitor to plug it into and if so does it work?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hello i am his IRL friend and i can answer for him

Were you doing anything particular when it stopped working?

He just let it rest for the night

do you have an external monitor to plug it into and if so does it work?

It just says the generic "no HDMI signal"

2 minutes ago, Bobbyman5506 said:

Hello i am his IRL friend and i can answer for him

He just let it rest for the night

It just says the generic "no HDMI signal"

Ah. Useful. So it’s not the monitor or the panel connector ribbon, it’s actually not outputting video.

”let it rest” as I put it to sleep or actually shut it down requiring a reboot?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

he put it into sleep mode and let it lay on his desk all night an then in the morning when he went to turn it on i wouldn't properly boot, he couldn't even reach bios

Im thinking its a graphics card problem your take?

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 5:49 AM, Bobbyman5506 said:

he put it into sleep mode and let it lay on his desk all night an then in the morning when he went to turn it on i wouldn't properly boot, he couldn't even reach bios

Prob already done, but force shutdown, restart, take battery out etc done? Otherwise, open and check if the wires from monitor are not broken where the screen bends or the connetion is not displaced.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:49 PM, Bobbyman5506 said:

If it went to sleep it never actually rebooted unless he shut it down and then turned it on again.  Sleep states are weird.  They vary a lot from device to device.  There’s one form sometimes called “hibernation” where it saves the old state and shuts down but then tries to boot into that rather than just doing a standard reboot.  If that happened and the hibernation data is corrupt Trying to force a full reboot might do what is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

so we finally resolved the problem, his ram died when he put it into sleep mode