Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yummyfruitz

My surface laptop got to 72ºC after waking the screen, while plugged to current

4 hours ago, Yummyfruitz said:

I see. What had me worried is the fact I thought that,since I turned off the screen while charging (because I didn't want anything to heat up too much wihile I was away)  nothing would be happening in the background, such as these windows updates and my laptop only turning the fan when i turned the screen back on.

Shouldn't all laptops just have the fan work even when the display is asleep, if they're doing something "intensive"?

Not necessarily, when they go to sleep they basically go into a power save mode, so nothing really turns on during that process, if it is executing background processes like windows updates that would be normal. But if I ever heard my laptop fan kick in while it was asleep with the lid down I would think that was weird, might vary from one manufacturer to another. Regardless you are okay.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all and good night. A situation today left me worried with my surface laptop 3, and all this happened after I had left it charging from 9% battery to 78% in close to an hour with the screen off, lid closed. When I went to check on my laptop, which had already reached about 77~78%, I immediately heard a really loud fan kick in and that got me startled (I never heard this laptop's fans before 'till today, they're so loud): I noticed windows update was running in thet background and when I opened Aida 64 (trial) I saw the CPU temp at 72ºC, when the max I had ever seen in the past weeks was 50ºC.

I wonder if the cursed windows update was working, with the laptop's display turned off, and charging + downloading/installing updates all combined lead it to this temp. point? I already finished updating it and it is at around 40~45ºC, quite good for this kind of laptop but I'd like to know what you think about the high temperatures from before and if this is normal and if I should be worried!?

72 is not super high for a laptop, you won't even thermal throttle at those temps. I would not be concerned. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, JM21 said:

72 is not super high for a laptop, you won't even thermal throttle at those temps. I would not be concerned. 

I see. What had me worried is the fact I thought that,since I turned off the screen while charging (because I didn't want anything to heat up too much wihile I was away)  nothing would be happening in the background, such as these windows updates and my laptop only turning the fan when i turned the screen back on.

Shouldn't all laptops just have the fan work even when the display is asleep, if they're doing something "intensive"?

Posted · Best Answer
4 hours ago, Yummyfruitz said:

Not necessarily, when they go to sleep they basically go into a power save mode, so nothing really turns on during that process, if it is executing background processes like windows updates that would be normal. But if I ever heard my laptop fan kick in while it was asleep with the lid down I would think that was weird, might vary from one manufacturer to another. Regardless you are okay.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White