How to boot off a Flash Drive to download windows?

GlowingTurtle54

I have gotten an new SSD and I’m trying to get windows on it. I have windows on my little flash drive and when I try and press f8 it just gives me errors. The errors are, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. What is wrong?

15 minutes ago, GlowingTurtle54 said:

I have gotten an new SSD and I’m trying to get windows on it. I have windows on my little flash drive and when I try and press f8 it just gives me errors. The errors are, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. What is wrong?

Did you install the windows in the stick via rufus ? This is the only way to make it bootable.

What is the stick (specs)?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

12 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Did you install the windows in the stick via rufus ? This is the only way to make it bootable.

What is the stick (specs)?

I installed it using a Mac and following a YouTube tutorial. The stick is a SanDisk cruzer 16gb

1 minute ago, GlowingTurtle54 said:

I installed it using a Mac and following a YouTube tutorial. The stick is a SanDisk cruzer 16gb

The only way to make a stick bootable with Winfows is the Rufus software, Alcohol, ect...

What software did you use to install the Windows to the stick?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

10 minutes ago, Constantin said:

The only way to make a stick bootable with Winfows is the Rufus software, Alcohol, ect...

What software did you use to install the Windows to the stick?

I just downloaded the windows 10 x64 iso from their website then put this line of code in which transferred all of the windows 10 stuff from the download to my flash drive which was formatted as an exfat drive.

11 minutes ago, GlowingTurtle54 said:

I just downloaded the windows 10 x64 iso from their website then put this line of code in which transferred all of the windows 10 stuff from the download to my flash drive which was formatted as an exfat drive.

I don't think this is the right way...

I found this and it should work: 
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-make-a-windows-10-usb-using-your-mac-build-a-bootable-iso-from-your-macs-terminal/

The easiest way would really be to just access a windows computer. You can use the download assistant to make a Windows isntall drive. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

18 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

I found this and it should work: 
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-make-a-windows-10-usb-using-your-mac-build-a-bootable-iso-from-your-macs-terminal/

The easiest way would really be to just access a windows computer. You can use the download assistant to make a Windows isntall drive. 

i tried that method and it got to the install windows part and then it said "a media driver your computer needs is missing"

Just now, GlowingTurtle54 said:

i tried that method and it got to the install windows part and then it said "a media driver your computer needs is missing"

Oh that error? Try removing your drive with that up, plug it into a different port. Example, if plugged in the front, plug the drive in the back. Then close the window and start from the beginning of the installation. Should solve the issue. It is a bug. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

5 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

Oh that error? Try removing your drive with that up, plug it into a different port. Example, if plugged in the front, plug the drive in the back. Then close the window and start from the beginning of the installation. Should solve the issue. It is a bug. 

I tried moving the stick to the back and same error. By beginning of the installation do you mean like where you press the button that says install?

Yes. Hm...

I think best bet is try making it from Windows. Is it possible to post a photo of the error you are getting?

2 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

I think best bet is try making it from Windows. Is it possible to post a photo of the error you are getting?

D9DE99FF-1DFE-4354-961E-64788C5F1CDF.jpeg

Yeah in the past I would just swap my USB from one header (back to front or front to back) and that solved that problem. 

What board do you have?

Just now, Lord Xeb said:

Yeah in the past I would just swap my USB from one header (back to front or front to back) and that solved that problem. 

What board do you have?

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus XI formula Z390

Is your install the latest available from microsoft? If it isn't the latest version, this could explain your issue. 

You could trying doing this:
f6flpy-x64.zip
Those are the F6 drivers for your board. Extract them and put them onto your flash drive or another flash drive in a folder called drivers.Then you can select your chipset driver via the browse menu. Though it is odd you are getting this issue. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

Is your install the latest available from microsoft? If it isn't the latest version, this could explain your issue. 

You could trying doing this:
f6flpy-x64.zip
Those are the F6 drivers for your board. Extract them and put them onto your flash drive or another flash drive in a folder called drivers.Then you can select your chipset driver via the browse menu. Though it is odd you are getting this issue. 

whats the step by step process of extracting the drivers?

also what is the .zip file you linked?

6 minutes ago, GlowingTurtle54 said:

whats the step by step process of extracting the drivers?

also what is the .zip file you linked?

The zip file came from here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29339/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

They are drivers for your chipset. 

What you do is extract the contents of the zip into a folder on your flash drive. Name doesn't matter, as long you as you know where the zip contents went. 

Boot up into window,s when you get that message, open the browse menu. Go to your flash drive and that folder with the stuff you extracted from the zip. Select it. Windows will look for what drivers it can use and give you a list. Select the one for your chipset and you should be good. If not, maybe there is a setting in your bios causing issues. Or you could try a different USB port. 

Note, you rarely if ever need to do any of this. Windows usually figures this stuff all out. 

How old is the Iso you downloaded? What version of Windows it it? 1507? 1909?

6 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

The zip file came from here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29339/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

They are drivers for your chipset. 

What you do is extract the contents of the zip into a folder on your flash drive. Name doesn't matter, as long you as you know where the zip contents went. 

Boot up into window,s when you get that message, open the browse menu. Go to your flash drive and that folder with the stuff you extracted from the zip. Select it. Windows will look for what drivers it can use and give you a list. Select the one for your chipset and you should be good. If not, maybe there is a setting in your bios causing issues. Or you could try a different USB port. 

Note, you rarely if ever need to do any of this. Windows usually figures this stuff all out. 

How old is the Iso you downloaded? What version of Windows it it? 1507? 1909?

I downloaded the iso today and it’s version 1909 and it’s still not working

Sigh... I am really not sure. Rather odd.  m.2 ssd or a normal drive?

2 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

Sigh... I am really not sure. Rather odd.  m.2 ssd or a normal drive?

I got everything working. My old SSD magically came back to life and I was able to get the windows iso onto a drive and install it. Thank you for all of your help.

Glad it all worked out. I guess that issue was because no drive was detected? Not sure.