JDS Labs Atom in combo with integrated onboard DAC?

Vrbaa
Go to solution Solved by HumdrumPenguin,
On 1/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, Vrbaa said:

Hi

I just decided to buy external AMP and I will order JDS Labs Atom, even if my onboard audio have two op-amps and can drive my Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250ohm really loud. This is only because you guys always telling how good external AMP can improve listening experience. :)

Now when I am waiting for AMP to arrive, I'm wondering if my onboard DAC will provide quality enough signal to Atom AMP.

My motherboard (MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon) has audio section that is physically isolated from the rest of the motherboard circuitry with separated audio layers for left & right channel featuring EMI-shielded audio processor with built-in DAC ( 120dB SNR / 32-bit, supports DSD Super Audio CD playback & recording etc etc).

I've never had a problem with my onboard DAC. It has ZERO hissing and background noise.

What do you guys think if it will be good enough to use it in combo with JDS Labs Atom or should I aim for external DAC... ?

Judging by your copy and paste, I'm gonna assume you don't know much. The Atom, among a couple others, is one of the best 100 bucks amp you can get. It will shit over all motherboard amps out there. It's a misconception that an amp only serves to amplify the signal wave. The dac is not as big of a deal as the amp, but you can still hear differences between some dacs if your amp provides a sound that is clean enough. Try the Atom being fed from your mobo first and see what happens. The problem is that until you hear something better, you won't know the differences.

Hi

I just decided to buy external AMP and I will order JDS Labs Atom, even if my onboard audio have two op-amps and can drive my Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250ohm really loud. This is only because you guys always telling how good external AMP can improve listening experience. :)

Now when I am waiting for AMP to arrive, I'm wondering if my onboard DAC will provide quality enough signal to Atom AMP.

My motherboard (MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon) has audio section that is physically isolated from the rest of the motherboard circuitry with separated audio layers for left & right channel featuring EMI-shielded audio processor with built-in DAC ( 120dB SNR / 32-bit, supports DSD Super Audio CD playback & recording etc etc).

I've never had a problem with my onboard DAC. It has ZERO hissing and background noise.

What do you guys think if it will be good enough to use it in combo with JDS Labs Atom or should I aim for external DAC... ?

So wait, you bought a new Amp even though your onboard is perfectly fine and does a good job? Now you are asking whether to replace your perfectly working DAC as well for, again, no reason? 

Whatever floats your boat m8. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

So wait, you bought a new Amp even though your onboard is perfectly fine and does a good job? Now you are asking whether to replace your perfectly working DAC as well for, again, no reason? 

Whatever floats your boat m8. 

Yes I ordered it. Onboard is very good but Atom should be better 

Well if you like how your on board sounds you should be fine. All the at really does is takes a signal and amplifies it I'm a clean fashion so if your on board is dirty the signal will be dirty don't expect the atom to act like a filter and make the signal cleaner

On 1/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, Vrbaa said:

Hi

Judging by your copy and paste, I'm gonna assume you don't know much. The Atom, among a couple others, is one of the best 100 bucks amp you can get. It will shit over all motherboard amps out there. It's a misconception that an amp only serves to amplify the signal wave. The dac is not as big of a deal as the amp, but you can still hear differences between some dacs if your amp provides a sound that is clean enough. Try the Atom being fed from your mobo first and see what happens. The problem is that until you hear something better, you won't know the differences.

5 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

OMG this is unreal. The sound coming from headphones is brutal after I connected them to Atom AMP. Now I can even say that I have low end. xD Can't believe... Yes! You are 100% right. 

On 1/26/2020 at 2:11 PM, Vrbaa said:

OMG this is unreal. The sound coming from headphones is brutal after I connected them to Atom AMP. Now I can even say that I have low end. xD Can't believe... Yes! You are 100% right. 

Glad you are super happy with your purchase. Proper amplification provides better soundstage, instrument separation, body, bass impact, and as you may have guessed, higher volume. Enjoy your music, movies, and games :) All I require now is a pocket change electrostatic Blue Hawaii as payment for my consultation.

21 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Glad you are super happy with your purchase. Proper amplification provides better soundstage, instrument separation, body, bass impact, and as you may have guessed, higher volume. Enjoy your music, movies, and games :) All I require now is a pocket change electrostatic Blue Hawaii as payment for my consultation.

Eh what about external DAC.. This is huge upgrade anyway but should I consider external DAC since I don't have any problems with background noise, hissing or ground loop. Is it really needed?

27 minutes ago, Vrbaa said:

Eh what about external DAC.. This is huge upgrade anyway but should I consider external DAC since I don't have any problems with background noise, hissing or ground loop. Is it really needed?

I think you will definitely hear improvements, but it won't be as much of a difference as you get with a good amp. There is a list of arguments one can make about measurements, chip maker, architecture, and whatnot, but dacs are more about the features (DSD, MQA, remote controller, balanced outputs) than anything else in my opinion. Since the Atom is not balanced, I would tell you to look no further than the Topping D10 or SMSL M100. Each costs about 100 dollars.