CX650M PSU

angryx

i tried to use my old cx650m with fe 1080ti but the motherboard set on fire and the cpu also died, i replaced the psu at the store and i got a new one now. sadly they replaced only my psu. CP-9020103-EU is the correct model written on the box. is this a good psu for at least the gtx 1080? i'm afraid to set my new pc on fire again XD

1 hour ago, angryx said:

i tried to use my old cx650m with fe 1080ti but the motherboard set on fire and the cpu also died, i replaced the psu at the store and i got a new one now. sadly they replaced only my psu. CP-9020103-EU is the correct model written on the box. is this a good psu for at least the gtx 1080? i'm afraid to set my new pc on fire again XD

CX650M is not best model but still not the worst I’ve seen. 650w should be enough for 1080.

You said that previous psu was old, how old? Any chance it get damaged somehow? Ripped cable etc, this may cause the short.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

3 hours ago, angryx said:

CP-9020103-EU

That's the newest version of the CX650M.

What caused the fire?

yes i mentioned it was old but no it was a new psu with same model. it was purchased on 19th February 2019. it still had warranty so the store replaced it. i have no idea what caused the fire. i just tried to power up my gtx 1080 ti fe with z370 and 9600k and it set on fire. i had luck only the mobo and cpu damaged ram and card is still working but i sold it to someone

i guess the fe gtx 1080 ti was just too power hungry and psu can't handle it and it caused the fire

37 minutes ago, angryx said:

i guess the fe gtx 1080 ti was just too power hungry and psu can't handle it and it caused the fire

not if opp should've triggered here

the worst that should happen with one is that it starts to make a coil whine sound, not catch fire. I would recommend to explain it as detailed as possible to @jonnyGURU, since he's the main designer at corsair themselves

and do quote people, otherwise we don't get notifications 

33 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not if opp should've triggered here

the worst that should happen with one is that it starts to make a coil whine sound, not catch fire. I would recommend to explain it as detailed as possible to @jonnyGURU, since he's the main designer at corsair themselves

and do quote people, otherwise we don't get notifications 

ok.

well i bought and then used the CX650M with skylake 6700 cpu and 1060 gpu, everythink was fine and working.

i had another pc with 8600K cpu and 1080ti fe gpu. it had other seasonic 850w psu. someone wanted to buy the pc with the z370 mobo and 8600k cpu and 1080ti fe from me and i thought the 850w psu is too much for that pc so i changed the psu to my CX650M. then after i finished changing psu i tried to power it up and the Z370 motherboard started smoking. the 1080ti fe was spinning like crazy and the led on the gpu flickered like something is shorting. i got scared and pulled the power out of the wall and in result the CX650M psu, Z370 mobo and 8600k cpu died. is this detailed enough? there is no way i connected something wrong because i'm always double check if everything is connected correctly.

4 hours ago, angryx said:

ok.

well i bought and then used the CX650M with skylake 6700 cpu and 1060 gpu, everythink was fine and working.

i had another pc with 8600K cpu and 1080ti fe gpu. it had other seasonic 850w psu. someone wanted to buy the pc with the z370 mobo and 8600k cpu and 1080ti fe from me and i thought the 850w psu is too much for that pc so i changed the psu to my CX650M. then after i finished changing psu i tried to power it up and the Z370 motherboard started smoking. the 1080ti fe was spinning like crazy and the led on the gpu flickered like something is shorting. i got scared and pulled the power out of the wall and in result the CX650M psu, Z370 mobo and 8600k cpu died. is this detailed enough? there is no way i connected something wrong because i'm always double check if everything is connected correctly.

Were you using the cables that came with the CX650M or the cables that were already in the build that came with the Seasonic PSU?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Were you using the cables that came with the CX650M or the cables that were already in the build that came with the Seasonic PSU?

i removed every cable of the previous seasonic psu and placed it back to its box and used the correct cables of the CX650M psu, i always check that first.

2 hours ago, angryx said:

i removed every cable of the previous seasonic psu and placed it back to its box and used the correct cables of the CX650M psu, i always check that first.

It's weird.  Power supplies don't just catch components on fire.  Especially if it was a PSU that was already working in another PC.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's weird.  Power supplies don't just catch components on fire.  Especially if it was a PSU that was already working in another PC.

i know. but sadly it happened. 

could it be a static electricity?