Msi mag271c monitor not turning on

zane4560

Hi, I have a msi mag271c monitor and it’s not turning on, I have tried unplugging and replughing back in the cable but it will not turn on, does anybody know how to fix this? I had both hdmi ports filled as well as the dp port and the usb and headphone jack. 

20 minutes ago, zane4560 said:

Hi, I have a msi mag271c monitor and it’s not turning on, I have tried unplugging and replughing back in the cable but it will not turn on, does anybody know how to fix this? I had both hdmi ports filled as well as the dp port and the usb and headphone jack. 

How ‘bout the wall power cable?  Just checking.  It’s the internet.  You never know.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How ‘bout the wall power cable?  Just checking.  It’s the internet.  You never know.

I have moved it to several sockets, it hasn’t turned on when I tried it

The computer itself is powering up though yes?

If the monitor has power it could be a driver issue with either the monitor or the gpu.  The computer work, then has to talk to the gpu, which has to talk to the monitor.  So several stages.

need to know the gpu probably.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The computer itself is powering up though yes?

If the monitor has power it could be a driver issue with either the monitor or the gpu.  The computer work, then has to talk to the gpu, which has to talk to the monitor.  So several stages.

need to know the gpu probably.  

Gpu is Radeon 5700xt 

my pc works fine

So it’s possibly the gpu, a driver for the gpu, the monitor, or a driver for the monitor.  I’ve had monitors not work at all like this because of driver issues.  In theory, if there is no driver present, the monitor will still output low Rez.  Doesn’t always happen in practice.  Is this an intel machine by any chance?  If so there is a whole other gpu system to try.

One more basic thing to check.  When you plug in the monitor to the wall there should be some kind of power light that comes on indicating the monitor is getting power in the first place.  Is this happening?

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s possibly the gpu, a driver for the gpu, the monitor, or a driver for the monitor.  I’ve had monitors not work at all like this because of driver issues.  In theory, if there is no driver present, the monitor will still output low Rez.  Doesn’t always happen in practice.  Is this an intel machine by any chance?  If so there is a whole other gpu system to try.

One more basic thing to check.  When you plug in the monitor to the wall there should be some kind of power light that comes on indicating the monitor is getting power in the first place.  Is this happening?

There is no light on the monitor when powered on, it’s a amd machine.  It has been working with my pc for the past two weeks because I only built my pc at Christmas.  I have had my monitor since October and it has worked fine with my Nintendo switch and Xbox one

1 hour ago, zane4560 said:

There is no light on the monitor when powered on, it’s a amd machine.  It has been working with my pc for the past two weeks because I only built my pc at Christmas.  I have had my monitor since October and it has worked fine with my Nintendo switch and Xbox one

No.  I mean a power light ON the monitor.  I was checking to see if the monitor itself is the problem.  If it’s not getting power nothing will be shown even if everything else is working.  So there’s no way to tell if the monitor getting power or not. It still MIGHT be the problem because of other possible internal stuff.  You have seen it function in the past though so it goes low priority.  SOP is check the easy simple stuff first.

So it could be the gpu itself of just a driver for the gpu, or possibly the bios on the motherboard.  Or even the DP cable from the monitor to the gpu.  There is only a monitor that is also being used as a hub apparently, that is probably good, and a base system that is known good.  Four things any one or more of which could be an issue, and there’s no way to even know if any of them is a problem unless they’re all working anyway.  Cable has a high likelyhood of being good, and it’s just as difficult to check as the rest.  Drivers are on some storage medium. That could be pulled to give it no drivers at all instead of a bad driver in which case if everything else works it would default to low Rez. 

If you pull the hard drive and all the crap stuck to the monitor out so there’s nothing for it to find drivers on it might default to bios and you would get low Rez bios on the monitor.  That would mean the cable is good, the monitor is good, and the GPU is at least partially good.  If there’s no picture it means almost nothing.

maybe try that and see if you get lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, Bombastinator said:

No.  I mean a power light ON the monitor.  I was checking to see if the monitor itself is the problem.  If it’s not getting power nothing will be shown even if everything else is working.  So there’s no way to tell if the monitor getting power or not. It still MIGHT be the problem because of other possible internal stuff.  You have seen it function in the past though so it goes low priority.  SOP is check the easy simple stuff first.

So it could be the gpu itself of just a driver for the gpu, or possibly the bios on the motherboard.  Or even the DP cable from the monitor to the gpu.  There is only a monitor that is also being used as a hub apparently, that is probably good, and a base system that is known good.  Four things any one or more of which could be an issue, and there’s no way to even know if any of them is a problem unless they’re all working anyway.  Cable has a high likelyhood of being good, and it’s just as difficult to check as the rest.  Drivers are on some storage medium. That could be pulled to give it no drivers at all instead of a bad driver in which case if everything else works it would default to low Rez. 

If you pull the hard drive and all the crap stuck to the monitor out so there’s nothing for it to find drivers on it might default to bios and you would get low Rez bios on the monitor.  That would mean the cable is good, the monitor is good, and the GPU is at least partially good.  If there’s no picture it means almost nothing.

maybe try that and see if you get lucky.

i have similar issue were my monitor light wont turn on i have tried all the things you said and the light wont turn on i tested-the cables and they worked on other devices and electronics do you have any idea what to do

17 minutes ago, CringySwimmer said:

i have similar issue were my monitor light wont turn on i have tried all the things you said and the light wont turn on i tested-the cables and they worked on other devices and electronics do you have any idea what to do

I couldn’t even figure out what was going on with the first one.  :/ my hopes are not high.

A lot of monitors have a “powered up” light which says they’re plugged in and getting power.  When they get signal this light turns off or changes color quite often.  I was trying to figure out if that was even happening.  If the monitor can’t power up of course nothing can be seen.