Network slows down after a few days?

FlushaDev

Hi fellow gamers, I've been having this issue where my network slows down after a few days and I'm looking for some ideas to fix it, here's a rundown of my issue.

My network goes like this -> Main Modem > 2nd Router > 3rd Router , my PC is connected to the third one and whenever I restart mostly the 2nd one, I get full network bandwidth, after a day or two, the bandwidth drops to 2mb/s or lower except if I restart it, any ideas?

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

You could probably start by removing the 2nd + 3rd routers substituting network switches. This is assuming the modem is also a router.

For what reason would you daisy chain routers like that? This is a practice you generally want to avoid.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

You could probably start by removing the 2nd + 3rd routers substituting network switches. This is assuming the modem is also a router.

For what reason would you daisy chain routers like that? This is a practice you generally want to avoid.

They are basically WiFi..ing the house, modem is downstairs for the kitchen, 2nd one is for upstairs parents' bedroom and living room, and 3rd one is for my bedroom PC and brothers, it is all wired through the wall with HQ ethernet cable

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Brands and models of equipment involved would be useful.

First one is what my ISP provided me and it works fine, I can confirm that. 2nd one is the probably the troublemaker which is a netis router that's served me well for the past 2 years or so, but it was placed in another location in the house and the third one is a tplink archer c50 model

Are you using them in Access Point mode (or at least with DHCP disabled) and plugged into their LAN not WAN ports?

If you're plugging into the WAN ports then you are likely to run into issues.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Because of having 3 routers, if you have them in routing mode (e.g setup as a bridge, rather than just using their switch capability) you're probably generating a lot of NAT traffic, and im guessing most if not all these routers are the ISP supplied ones which often dont flush out NAT tables properly or dont have enough memory to handle large NAT tables. 

Make sure you're only utilising them as AP's or as switches, i.e you're just using the LAN ports and not WAN ports on them as Alex pointed out. 

But also if you are doing a lot of traffic, make sure you have as many port forwards setup for services you might be using like Xbox, Playstation, Game Servers, Voice Apps, etc...so you have a more open NAT. it will reduce the load on your router. 

Also make sure you dont have anything running that might be saturing your upload, artificially restricting your download speed. Such as Torrents seeding etc...Also check its not just games updating that make your internet feel slow. In a lot of routers you can see the current utilization of connected clients so you could check in there possibly to see the utilization when it feels slow. Otherwise you'll need to check the network connections on the various computers you have to make sure they arent the culprit. 

The flip side is that if you're on a DSL service, it could be a faulty DSL port as well which you'd need to discuss with your ISP, but typically you need to 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 12/27/2019 at 4:26 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are you using them in Access Point mode (or at least with DHCP disabled) and plugged into their LAN not WAN ports?

If you're plugging into the WAN ports then you are likely to run into issues.

The 2nd one that's not in my room is receiving internet from the downstairs one which is ISP provided, and the 2nd one is being used as an AP with DHCP enabled, what should I change in this case?

On 12/27/2019 at 4:57 AM, Jarsky said:

Because of having 3 routers, if you have them in routing mode (e.g setup as a bridge, rather than just using their switch capability) you're probably generating a lot of NAT traffic, and im guessing most if not all these routers are the ISP supplied ones which often dont flush out NAT tables properly or dont have enough memory to handle large NAT tables. 

Make sure you're only utilising them as AP's or as switches, i.e you're just using the LAN ports and not WAN ports on them as Alex pointed out. 

But also if you are doing a lot of traffic, make sure you have as many port forwards setup for services you might be using like Xbox, Playstation, Game Servers, Voice Apps, etc...so you have a more open NAT. it will reduce the load on your router. 

Also make sure you dont have anything running that might be saturing your upload, artificially restricting your download speed. Such as Torrents seeding etc...Also check its not just games updating that make your internet feel slow. In a lot of routers you can see the current utilization of connected clients so you could check in there possibly to see the utilization when it feels slow. Otherwise you'll need to check the network connections on the various computers you have to make sure they arent the culprit. 

The flip side is that if you're on a DSL service, it could be a faulty DSL port as well which you'd need to discuss with your ISP, but typically you need to 

As said above, I have found out that it's only the 2nd one which when rebooted fixes itself for some time, and all of the routers are being used as APs.