Need help with PSU for first build

I'm about to start building a new pc for gaming and general other tasks. I have a $2000 aud budget and need to include peripherals in that. 

So far my build is:

Ryzen 5 2600

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

Gigabyte Geforce 1660 Super

NZXT S340 Elite

Asus VG279Q

Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Logitech G502 Hero

Can anyone recommend a power supply for me? Originally I was going to get a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W but have heard mixed reviews. I have about $150 AUD to spend on a power supply, any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Luke_09 said:

Originally I was going to get a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W but

No but, this is the best choice.

Seasonic for me is the top end brand PSU's

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

5 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Was for me too.  Tier list doesn’t seem to like em much lately though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Constantin said:

But ...

FOCUS PLUS (v1) and GPU potential compatibility issues

A few users have reported possible compatibility issues between pre-January 2018 FOCUS PLUS (v1) power supplies and certain brands of GPU models during heavy gaming / GPU utilization. This may result in a black screen or random reboot of the system. If you experience such occurrences, please contact support@seasonic.com and we will test your power supply and take necessary action to rectify any possible issues.

Choose yourself OP, all of them would be good :

Corsair CX 550W - 90 AUD

Corsair TXm 550W - 115 AUD

Corsair RMx 550W - 145 AUD

Seasonic Focus would've been a good choice if it was newer, GX revision but they're too expensive in Australia.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I mean, the issue with it would be prominent only on relatively high-power draw GPUs, definitely not on GTX1660 Ti but if you don't intend to upgrade it some day then get Corsair CX, it's cheaper, and if you do, get Corsair TXm, it's cheaper. It's different in US, there's Seasonic Focus GX based Phanteks AMP for 80$ which is a good choice but you guys are out of luck in Australia.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On the page of that GPU it says that it needs 450W, usually that number is based on a basic machine that already includes everything connected to the motherboard to operate, the GPU, CPU, RAM, SO and the monitor. Of course, if you are going to use many peripherals, it is better that you put a little more so that it is not so tight, about 500-550 would be fine and the best known brands are the following, but I hope you can find a 80 plus PSU type at a price accesible to your budget:

• EVGA.
  • Corsair.
  • SeaSonic.
  • Cooler Master.
  • Antec.
  • NZXT.
  • XFX.
  • Thermaltake.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

21 hours ago, Constantin said:

sEaSoNiC iS bEsT pSu BrAnD

She/Her

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:
  • EVGA.
  • Corsair.
  • SeaSonic.
  • Cooler Master.
  • Antec.
  • NZXT.
  • XFX.
  • Thermaltake.

yes, these are best known... doesn't mean they sell some psus i wouldn't even dare to use at those wattages because of them being

• group regulated
  • lacking undervoltage protection
  • protection issues
  • heavily outdated in other ways
  • a combination of the 4

that's why i never list companies, but list models

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

sEaSoNiC iS bEsT pSu BrAnD

I still think brand quality has been repeatedly diluted by every manufacturer to a point that while it is worth looking at to tell what is bad (stares squarely at diablotek) it is not reliable to tell what is good.  It appears my knowledge is out of date though and safety measures may have been made available to avoid the worst behaviors of PSUs.  I need to look at that stuff, and determine how valuable it is.  If a particular manufacturer uses one consistently though and it actually works, it would add value to the brand name.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Tier list doesn’t seem to like em much

what makes you say that? there are very highly ranked seasonic PSUs

the focus/+ just isn't one

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I still think brand quality has been repeatedly diluted by every manufacturer

i'll tell you something i've said to many

every brand has crap, has made crap or is about to make crap. this is also a thing inside PSUs

to name a couple basic examples

Seasonic - heavy ripple issues at overload on Focus FX/FM

Superflower - having the leadex iii 650w drop down to 11.4v

Corsair - popping vs 2012's (even if made by hec)

EVGA - too high-set protections on G3

and so on

that's why i'll always continue to say, brands don't matter, the model does

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

what makes you say that? there are very highly ranked seasonic PSUs

the focus/+ just isn't one

Exactly.  It was perhaps bad wording on my part.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes, these are best known... doesn't mean they sell some psus i wouldn't even dare to use at those wattages because of them being

• group regulated
  • lacking undervoltage protection
  • protection issues
  • heavily outdated in other ways
  • a combination of the 4

that's why i never list companies, but list models

Definetely! It is just a start point but there must be a lot of reading about the product you are interested on. I have done follow ups for about 2 weeks just to realize that I don't want what I originally wanted because other devices are better. Recommendations are good but nothing like reading (tiring ?). 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming